PDA

View Full Version : iMac G4 vs. Mac mini

screensaver400
2005-05-09, 13:25
I'll be buying a Mac for my sister in July. I'm debating the merits of a new Mac mini or a used iMac G4. The Mac mini would be the low end, with 512mb of ram, an airport card, and a new keyboard. She would use her peecee mouse (a decent Logitech) and rather crappy eMachine monitor. $620 (edu)

The iMac would be the Rev A (I think) model. 700mhz, 256mb ram, 40gb hd, Combo drive, Airport card, and keyboard/mouse. $625

Which would be a better long-term investment? She won't be doing any video editing, but she loves Garageband and Photoshop on my PB. She'll also do the typical computer things (web, email, word processing, etc).

Thanks for any advice.

Koodari
2005-05-09, 14:25
The headless computer is pretty much always the better long term investment, and in this case mini is better in everything else as well. What's there to think about?

After changing the display for a better one, the machine will be great.

FFL
2005-05-09, 14:29
given the same price point, the newer technology is almost always going to be the better long-term investment, and that is very true here. Let's not forget the warranty that you get with a new computer, either.

screensaver400
2005-05-09, 15:33
Fair enough. I know that, in the iBook and Powerbook lines, the PB has a faster bus, even though they might be the same clock speed. I didn't know if, perhaps, the Mini had a slower bus, slower hard drive, etc. Anything that might not make it as worthwhile as an older iMac.

Also, what about the cool factor? Any thoughts on that?