PDA

View Full Version : CRT or LCD ?

Beed
2005-05-09, 16:54
which one is better for color management ? what does the contrast ratio have to do with LCDs? Which model is the best for graphic design?

screensaver400
2005-05-09, 18:19
Traditional wisdom says that Aperture Grille CRT monitors (Pro Viewsonics, Trinitrons, etc) are best for color accuracy, graphics, etc. I love my Viewsonic P95f+.

But I don't know about modern LCDs. Are they as good, or better, than high-end CRTs? Be aware, though, that an OK LCD will cost you around the same as a larger, high-end CRT.

earl
2005-05-09, 18:34
from my experience in graphic design, i feel crts still have much better color then lcds, however if you can spend a little money i have heard nothing but good things about lacie's lcd offering...

Wickers
2005-05-09, 19:53
Get the best tool for the job.

That's all I can say.

usurp
2005-05-10, 07:36
I use a Lacie CRT at work and I love it. If i had the money I would get a Barco.

Brad
2005-05-10, 10:25
The Authoritative LCDs for Color Critical Work Thread (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=4191)

The only LCD that seems to provide excellent color quality costs on the order of $6000. The CRT still reigns king when it comes to color calibration and correctness at a moderate price.

In my experience, the overwhelming majority of LCDs are very lacking with regard to proper color display. Even Apple's much-vaunted LCDs haven't been the best of the crop.

2005-05-10, 10:37
I use a Lacie CRT at work and I love it. If i had the money I would get a Barco.Ditto.

I'm pretty excited about all these rumblings from Samsung (IIRC) about their thin CRT tech. I don't know if LCDs will *ever* be able to get down to CRTs in cost, yet match them in color quality. Thin-screened CRTs, once out in the market, might just kick LCDs in the ass.

[edit] Linky (http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/samsung-develops-thin-crt-television-024892.php)

scratt
2005-05-10, 11:05
I have found that I spot many errors with colour dependant graphics on my web sites and elsewhere when I have produced work on my LCD and then view them on a CRT.

So CRTs (at the moment) are better for the job, but once you know where the pitfalls are you can protect against them when working on LCDs.

Banana
2005-05-10, 12:19
In my experience, the overwhelming majority of LCDs are very lacking with regard to proper color display. Even Apple's much-vaunted LCDs haven't been the best of the crop.

Hmm. Interesting.

So you're saying SWOP certification for apples line is crap?

I checked the thread but didn't get any explanation on why apples line didn't live up to that level of color critical work. I'd like some expkanations or links?

Thanks

Beed
2005-05-10, 14:23
So then which CRTwould be best for color correcting(photoshop) for about $700-$1100.
Model? Brand? Size? would like about 20 inchs viewable :confused:

2005-05-10, 14:33
700-1100? Yeesh, man. If you're willing to spend that kind of coin get 2 side-by-side. My personal preference are the LaCie Blue's...and you can get the 19" model for around (http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=673796/) 350ish. Seriously, consider 2 monitors. Once you've gone there you'll never go back. :)