PDA

View Full Version : iBook RAM advice

scb
2005-05-10, 09:26
I just bought a 12" iBook - BTO with the 60 GB harddrive option. I'm picking it up this morning and am going to have the shop install extra RAM. I am planning on going with an extra 512 MB, but since there is only one extra slot should I go for the 1 GB now? Or would I be happy with 768 MB or RAM? I will be doing some garageband stuff (recording some with a mic), XCode development (nothing too serious at this point), and web surfing/email type stuff. I guess my uses could get more intense over time, but I have no solid plans to get into graphic design at this point.
Thanks -

longwood
2005-05-10, 09:29
the more ram the better. so if you can afford it i would personally go with 1gb.

Stevuh
2005-05-10, 11:11
the more ram the better. so if you can afford it i would personally go with 1gb.

agreed

designerguy
2005-05-10, 12:51
Did you pick up your ibook from the apple store? and if so what was the total price for everything?

Does anyone know if installing your own ram voids the warrentee? Is it an easy process?

Thanks!

Maciej
2005-05-10, 13:12
Installing your own ram does not void the warranty. If I remember correctly the ram slot is directly below your keyboard... its in the instruction manual, or you can search it on Apple's site, its quite and easy process...

and don't buy ram from apple. do a quick search of the forums, some of the better sites suggested for ram are OWC, Crucial (pay more but still less than Apple), NewEgg (but be weary I know plenty of people who've been screwed by them)...

scb
2005-05-10, 16:02
I bought my ibook from a local mac store and had them install the RAM for me - they charged me $99 for 512 MB. Their prices for 1 GB were too high and I decided to go with the 768 MB - should be good for what I want to do. I didn't want to mess with the RAM and they have a guarantee on it.
I'll just have to start using it - seems like lots of people find 768 MB to be quite nice. Now, I just have to make it through the rest of my workday so that I can go home and play - this is my first mac (first apple since the apple IIC) so I'm pretty excited. Thanks for the advice -