PDA

View Full Version : Date/Time display changed

Luca
2004-06-26, 02:55
I just noticed today that the date and time display is different for me. It probably happened when stuff was moved over to AN.com from AI.org... or maybe not, I'm not sure.

Anyway, for some reason, the forum is now displaying posting times with a 24-hour clock, and it uses the day-month-year format (26th of June) instead of the standard month-day-year format (June 26th). I don't see any options for changing this anywhere in the user preferences. Know what's up?

LoCash
2004-06-26, 03:25
We're submitting a proposal to Congress to adopt worldwide accepted measurements of time. We're using AI as a test community in our proposal to show how well 'the people' can adapt.

Mac+
2004-06-26, 03:27
no probs from "down here" ;)

staph
2004-06-26, 05:34
Makes sense to me!

Barto
2004-06-26, 08:37
Anyway, for some reason, the forum is now displaying posting times with a 24-hour clock, and it uses the day-month-year format (26th of June) instead of the standard month-day-year format (June 26th).

Well there's your problem, mistaking month-day-year for being the standard. :p

HOM
2004-06-26, 08:40
Is there any way to make this a user preference and not a global setting?

Luca
2004-06-26, 08:47
Yes, I realize that most of the world uses day-month-year. What I meant was that it doesn't make sense to use that :). In conversation, I ALWAYS say the month first, never the date first, so why would I write it opposite of how I say it? I don't know about the rest of the world, maybe everyone else says "the 26th of June" instead of "June 26th," but I write it the way I say it because that is what makes the most sense.

Barto
2004-06-26, 08:56
Everyone else says the 26th of June.

And you wonder why the world hates America! :mad:

:lol:

Luca
2004-06-26, 11:27
June 26th is faster.

Given today's computerized society, everyone should really be using yyyy-mm-dd, because that way everything is sorted in order of date from newest (at the top) to oldest (at the bottom). At least with month-day, things are sorted properly when you arrange them by name on a computer. They just won't be organized by year, but that's not as important.

Making it a user preference would be nice. I remember a while back, most message boards I went to didn't even let you set your time zone, so I had to adjust the time in my head based on where their central server was located. When it was US Eastern it was usually pretty easy, just a one hour difference, but some of them were pretty far off.

Barto
2004-06-26, 12:03
You can't justify M-D-Y any way you look at it. Don't even try.

That said, I can see how it would be annoying to have to deal with D-M-Y if I was used to M-D-Y. And I agree Y-M-D is the way to go, that's what I use for various computer things (file names, programs etc).

Barto

DMBand0026
2004-06-26, 13:07
I actually like the 24 hour clock, we use that at work. Date...whatever, just as long as I can read it, and I can, it's no biggie.

Brad
2004-06-28, 12:07
I've fixed the setting back to the much more appropriate YYYY-MM-DD setting. :)

Eugene
2004-06-28, 18:26
Muahahaha