PDA

View Full Version : ibook with 30gig or 60gig?

stringbeans
2005-05-11, 12:15
so ive decided to purchase an ibook today because im sick of waiting for the new one to come out :D

my friend also has a g4 ibook and he recommends getting the 60gig hd as opposed to the 30gig. do you guys agree? i will be using the ibook mainly just for notetaking at school, coding, and maybe a little sound recording. would 30gigs be enough for that?

thanks!

Franz Josef
2005-05-11, 12:36
30GB sounds awfully small these days. I would strongly recommend 60GB.

kryoxalys
2005-05-11, 14:20
I'm no iBook expert, but 30Gb might seem reasonable for you today, but in 2-3 years I think you will be happy for having settled for the 60Gb :)

atomicbartbeans
2005-05-11, 14:30
I have 30 in my iBook. It's not super-good, but tolerable.

I have several games and movies and thousands of pictures and mp3s, and I still have 16 gigs free.

If you have a combo drive, deleting iDVD will free up a gig. I recommend an external HD if you plan to do any heavy multimedia work.

Stevuh
2005-05-11, 17:00
60GB is better, you can never have enough HD space. . . MY 80 GB is almost full, alot of that is apps and movies/pictures. Sound recordings can pile up though. We have a recording setup at a theatre i work technical for and it fills up pretty quick when we record shows and what not.

BarracksSi
2005-05-11, 18:03
I recently moved from a 30 gig iBook to one with 60 gigs, and I'm already wondering if I should have gotten the 80 gig HD instead.

Of course, I'm a bit of a pack rat.

Wyatt
2005-05-11, 18:03
60GB is better, you can never have enough HD space. . . MY 80 GB is almost full, alot of that is apps and movies/pictures. Sound recordings can pile up though. We have a recording setup at a theatre i work technical for and it fills up pretty quick when we record shows and what not.
I agree--get all the hard drive space you can afford. You might also consider a large external hard drive for stuff you don't necessarily need when you're mobile (storing large iMovie files, for example). I've got 280 GB in my desktop and it's nearly full. It sounds crazy, but you can fill anything. So go with the most you can afford.

stringbeans
2005-05-11, 18:13
heya guys

thanks for all the input!
i got the 30gig as opposed to the 60gig mainly because im going to be using the laptop solely for school+work. ive already got a desktop with lots of hd space so i can manage hd space on the ibook by swapping files back and forth :)

Brad
2005-05-11, 20:56
Heck, just the installed software alone on my PowerBook takes up 25 GB. Granted that includes some heavy-hitters like Final Cut and a few games, but even without them I'd be very wary of running out of space on any drive less than 60 GB.

I guess I was a little too late with my warning here, though... :\

jbloodwo
2005-05-11, 22:41
I just got a powerbook g4 with the 60 gig I am in some ways wishing i had orderd on line and got the 80 gig drive. I think i am already at like 1/2 the drive used. I will say this though. I still have not removed teh stuff i dont use like quick books and some of the other preloaded fluff. hard drive space is kind of like ram you can never have enough. My first harddrive was 30 meg and i thought i can never fill that up but i have m4a files that are bigger than that drive. So although you already have your new toy orderd i think i would have gone for the 60 gig instead.