PDA

View Full Version : Coolest VB3 function is...

curiousuburb
2004-05-16, 15:50
Personally, I'm loving the efficiency of that mouseover tooltip on threads.
Methinks it will save many a needless click if the posts are skimpy enough to preview by hover... efficient!

HoTT RoDeR
2004-05-16, 16:02
I think there may be an error with the poll but I like the pop-up over the links the best.

curiousuburb
2004-05-16, 16:05
the poll is set for multiple selections and public display of votes, so the math won't necessarily look logical in terms of percentages...

oooh... automatically reformats the options into italic (to indicate ranking?)... cool

Wrao
2004-05-16, 16:10
public poll, see who voted for what, I don't think that was in vB 2.0, but it is kind of neat.

curiousuburb
2004-05-16, 16:14
oooh... automatically reformats the options into italic (to indicate ranking?)... cool

italics indicate which choices you voted for.

but the public display of votes thing is interesting...
impractical for political threads perhaps (secret ballot habits)

Akumulator
2004-05-16, 16:15
Do my eyes deceive me or does the page auto-refresh?

Edit: Okay... maybe not. I'm standing here staring at the screen like an idiot. I could of sworn that a few times I saw the page in a window behind this one turn white and refresh. Oh well. :o

Ryan
2004-05-16, 16:37
I don't really like the tooltips. They just get in the way.

NosferaDrew
2004-05-16, 16:43
Yeah, I can't stand that tooltips pop-up thing.

I was just poking around in Safari prefs to try to turn it off!
And I am very thankful that there's no smokey smilie for that kid to abuse should he find his way here.

Luca
2004-05-16, 18:10
Profile pictures: Cute, but unless they're displayed alongside your name in posts, not useful.

Pop-up menus: Irritating. I much prefer a list of links rather than a menu containing a list of links.

Tooltip previews: SUPREMELY annoying! I leave my mouse in the same place for one second and BAM, there's this big tooltip thing covering half the forum! Get rid of these please!

More User CP options: What extra options? I see FEWER options than before.

No Smokey smiley: Well... I guess I can't argue with this. The little guy was occasionally useful, but usually not used properly.

Layout/design: Pretty good. Better than before. I especially like the new text input boxes - excellent!

IM Contact icons: These might be useful sometime actually. Not all that excited about them, but they seem like a good idea.

Thread ratings: Like ratings for everything else - I'll never bother.

So I voted that they're generally bugs, not features.

torifile
2004-05-16, 23:03
One that I haven't had much use for yet, but will be very useful when the long threads start: searching WITHIN a thread. It's really a pain in the ass when I know someone posted something I'm looking for in a thread that's 10 pages long only to have that thread come up in a search.

bborofka
2004-05-17, 01:51
There are countless things I like about vB 3.0, but the subscription options are really my favorite.

In "Preferences > Edit Options," set "Default Thread Subscription Mode" to "No email notification". Now, whenever you post in a thread it automatically subscribes to it.

Haven't checked out the board in a while, and forget which threads you were participating in or just don't feel like digging them up? Hit "Preferences" and it lists all your active subscriptions, and only the ones that have new posts in them. Very handy!

I'm surprised I haven't seen this sort of simple subscription management before, or maybe I just didn't see it.

LoCash
2004-05-17, 01:59
Yeah, there's a lot we can do in vB3....we haven't really scratched the surface

SilentEchoes
2004-05-17, 02:36
Yeah, there's a lot we can do in vB3....we haven't really scratched the surface

Which is why it costs money. It is a really nice piece of software though.

Being both a PHP programmer and a huge nerd I can understand the level of work VB is.

I like the tooltips concept, but I have always HATED the speed it takes for tooltips to show up in OS X. Its a tooltip I don't want to sit around all god damn day for a little tip on something. I want the information now damn it. I hate it I hate it I hate it. Thats just with tooltips in general. As for tooltips on the forum, I like it, could be handy with be on dialup and avatars enabled. The thing is I am not on dial up and avatars are not enabled. Its probably faster for me to actually load the thread and read it instead of waiting for the god damn tooltip to show up. :mad:

EDIT: I just noticed in the subscription e-mails it actually shows the post content now. So if I am working and I get an e-mail from AI I can actually view the post instead of having to load AI just to find someone said lol..

Paul
2004-05-18, 13:34
the archive and printable version views are very nice... any chance that either could become the "default" view?

oh, and how do you rate posts??