PDA

View Full Version : Laptop for school: iBook or PowerBook?

Wyatt
2005-05-19, 08:33
I'm a computer science major, and I'm transferring to a different university in the fall in order to have more options in my field. However, I'm going to be a commuter student with my own place now rather than living on campus again (thank God). Since I'm commuting, I'll need to have a laptop.

I'm debating between the 14" iBook w/ superdrive and the 15" PowerBook w/ superdrive. They both look great, but the PowerBook is immensely more expensive. I'm willing to shell out the cash, but only if it's worth the difference.

I like that the iBook is plastic and will hold up better cosmetically in a backpack. However, the PowerBook has a faster processor, a better video card (good since I may specialize in game development), and widescreen--plus it's much more expandable, RAM-wise (and I can get a 100 GB hard drive BTO). The 17" PB would be a great option if I didn't have to lug it around campus, but since I'll have to carry it around, I don't want something that big (plus my backpack or saddle bag might have to be about the size of a gorilla)... so what do you guys think?

Louie
2005-05-19, 09:05
powerbook 15' all the way.
the pb is the coolest laptop youll ever have. the keys lightup in lowlight, the slot loading superdrive is awesome, and the 2finger scolling is very usefull. i have a pb15 and im very happy with it

hope this helps :)

Franz Josef
2005-05-19, 10:16
I'm debating between the 14" iBook w/ superdrive and the 15" PowerBook w/ superdrive. They both look great, but the PowerBook is immensely more expensive. I'm willing to shell out the cash, but only if it's worth the difference.

PB immeasurably better for all of the reasons you give - you won't regret using one about campus. If you're worried about scratches you can buy a cheap sleeve to protect it.

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=6792&highlight=bag+sleeve

Wyatt
2005-05-19, 22:43
Thanks for reaffirming my idea. :) PB 15 it is, then!