PDA

View Full Version : ehm... is it just me, or...

darkerknight
2004-06-28, 16:06
Does anybody else have this funny feeling that apple is trying to get more windows users to switch? But not by simply doing what they are good at (creating superiority) but by making Mac OS X look more like Windows?! These blue bar ends, the whole dashboard look... reminds me of XP, sorry. Also, those highlihted system preferences still look like cheap fakes... Apple can do better, right? Seriously, Tiger looks to be another great improvment, but some of the graphics are just screwed up...
Great displays by the way!

Brad
2004-06-28, 16:21
Isn't that the whole idea? To get Windows users to switch? When you have less than 2% of the market, I think it only makes perfect sense to try to appeal to the masses by blending some of "the other side's" interface elements with your own. It's far more difficult to get people to switch to a platform that looks alien to them.

I don't think it's something to get too worked up about, though. Some people were horrified when they saw Panther's new Finder and the sidebar; they thought the new Finder had turned into Windows XP's explorer. It didn't. For most of us, it was actually a very welcomed improvement.

The highlighting in the System Preferences may change. I suspect that was just a way to show off the new Core Images filters. Remember that it could be almost a whole year before Tiger is released. Apple has plenty of time to gauge developer feedback and make changes before then.

Welcome to AppleNova, btw! :)

sunrain
2004-06-28, 16:23
Does anybody else have this funny feeling that apple is trying to get more windows users to switch? But not by simply doing what they are good at (creating superiority) but by making Mac OS X look more like Windows?! These blue bar ends, the whole dashboard look... reminds me of XP, sorry. Also, those highlihted system preferences still look like cheap fakes... Apple can do better, right? Seriously, Tiger looks to be another great improvment, but some of the graphics are just screwed up...
Great displays by the way!

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'blue bar ends', but the dashboard graphics do look a bit mickey-mouse.

I'll get worried when I see a 'Start' button... ;)

Brad
2004-06-28, 16:25
I'm not sure what you mean by the 'blue bar ends'
This:

http://homepage.mac.com/owlboy/blue_menu_bar.jpg

sunrain
2004-06-28, 16:30
This:

http://homepage.mac.com/owlboy/blue_menu_bar.jpg

Ew...

darkerknight
2004-06-28, 16:31
@Bram
Thanx for the welcome! I perfectly understand that Apple has to increase its appeal to all those intel users, but incorporating those elements does not seem like a great idea. I'm not saying it won't work, but up to now, all the changes (like the finder) had nothing in common with the XP Windows look. Even though some people got all worked up about it, I thought the new finder was the single best thing about Panther. I'm also looking forward to dashboard already, it's just the look that gets me a bit puzzled. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to complain, its just that I loved the current OS X look.... I guess I'm just not adapting quickly enough... heck, I'm typing on a G3 right now... :))

dviant
2004-06-28, 16:36
Not mention the explicit Windows-compatibilty of many recent products/software...iPod/iTunes, AirportExpress, new DVI displays. This is smart though. Why NOT sell those things to windows users? Make some money, and possibly gain some switchers. Sounds like a smart plan to me.

Though I'm not sure the menu bar seems to me to scream "hey windows users!". To me it's just a simple way of dividing functionality areas. You'll also note in some other screenshots that those areas are a far more subtle grey.

Messiahtosh
2004-06-28, 16:41
In any case, the state of the mac is better today than it was yesterday!

sunrain
2004-06-28, 16:42
Not mention the explicit Windows-compatibilty of many recent products/software...iPod/iTunes, AirportExpress, new DVI displays. This is smart though. Why NOT sell those things to windows users? Make some money, and possibly gain some switchers. Sounds like a smart plan to me.

Though I'm not sure the menu bar seems to me to scream "hey windows users!". To me it's just a simple way of dividing functionality areas. You'll also note in some other screenshots that those areas are a far more subtle grey.

A subtle grey sounds a lot better, or maybe just a texture change.

sCreeD
2004-06-28, 16:52
That blue is still better than the Smurf blue of XP.

Screed

MacUsers
2004-06-28, 16:54
That's not good enough.

Hobbes
2004-06-28, 16:58
The blue ends do have a slight XP look to it, but I don't think emulating Windows is their primary purpose...

Rather the left end helps distinguish the Apple menu as a menu (something new users and switchers don't often immediately realize), while the right draws attention to Tiger's most important feature, the Spotlight icon.

Both good UI moves, IMO.

BrandonAllan
2004-06-28, 17:43
http://images.apple.com/macosx/tiger/images/indexdashboard06282004.jpg

It's different here, and this has the new iChat icon. The Tiger movies show the old iChat icon and the menu bar with blue at both ends.

MacUsers
2004-06-28, 17:44
Yesssssss.... thank you!

Tobsterius
2004-06-28, 18:03
I hated it at first.. but the more I look at it the more I like it. If it helps PC users switch to mac... then more power to Apple! :D

Hobbes
2004-06-28, 18:47
[IMG]It's different here, and this has the new iChat icon. The Tiger movies show the old iChat icon and the menu bar with blue at both ends.

Huh. Well, there's a number of inconsistencies in the preview pics... Seems more balanced to me to have both ends enclosed in blue, so that feels right to me... Anyway, we'll know soon enough once pix of the developer build leak out.

Any minute now. ;)

Hobbes
2004-06-28, 19:56
Ah, looks like the build Steve showed on stage at WWDC (http://www.osnews.com/img/7521/wwdc15.jpg) had the blue on both ends.

MacUsers
2004-06-28, 20:29
New videos of Dashboard at macrumors.com do not have the blue.

Bill M
2004-06-29, 07:01
I think the blue helps users realize that those are fixed menu bar elements, regardless of the application being used. The Apple and Spotllight icons are always there. I like the idea, looks good.

SonOfSylvanus
2004-07-01, 18:31
I think the blue helps users realize that those are fixed menu bar elements, regardless of the application being used. The Apple and Spotllight icons are always there. I like the idea, looks good.
Rubbish. Everything on the right-hand side of the menu bar is a "fixed menu bar [element], regardless of the application being used" -- you don't see all that stuff in blue do you?!

</taking anger at shitty UI confusing crap out on random new member>

hmurchison
2004-07-01, 18:55
I must be getting old because I actually like the blue glossy bar. I think the tri-color combo looks good with silver white and blue.

Of course for the Pro apps I prefer the muted grays. Doesn't need to be that flashy. IMO

Bill M
2004-07-01, 19:27
Rubbish. Everything on the right-hand side of the menu bar is a "fixed menu bar [element], regardless of the application being used" -- you don't see all that stuff in blue do you?!

</taking anger at shitty UI confusing crap out on random new member>

I fail to read any sarcasm whatsoever in your post, so I will have to respond accordingly. Perhaps I did not make myself clear in my original post, or you are having a terrible day; after your childish-at-best remark, I don't really care.

Everything on the right-hand side of the menu bar is NOT fixed, nor an OS-specific element by default. For starters, several applications install icons/elements on the right-hand side, which are not necessarily for OS purposes. Alas, you can command-click and move or change the order of the mentioned elements, regardless of being Apple's or third party. You may want to try it and, probably, learn something new for yourself. Also, It is most likely you will see different setups according to users preferences or installed applications. I hope this is clear enough to refute your ill-intended remark.

And last, but not least, my post count hardly relates my "new" or seasoned member status. It's just that, unlike yourself, I only post constructive ideas related to the forum and topic at hand.