PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Large, (OSX) friendly large format printers!

alcimedes
2004-06-28, 18:59
So I get an email today from one of the higher-ups. They have $7,500 burning a hole in their pocket, and are looking for a way to spend it. They really want a newer large format printer. (The one we have is fairly old, and can only print from a Win98 machine.)

So, anyone know of or can recommend an OSX, WinXP friendly network printer that can print at least 42" wide documents?

EDS66
2004-06-28, 21:18
So I get an email today from one of the higher-ups. They have $7,500 burning a hole in their pocket, and are looking for a way to spend it. They really want a newer large format printer. (The one we have is fairly old, and can only print from a Win98 machine.)

So, anyone know of or can recommend an OSX, WinXP friendly network printer that can print at least 42" wide documents?

Contact www.mbsdirect.com

They will hook you up.

I think you mean plotters.

alcimedes
2004-06-28, 21:34
well, i am actually old enough to remember the old school, actual plotters. everyone calls large printers plotters, but they aren't.

used to be a plotter was a printer that used little pens. the pens would be picked up and put down where the line needed to be drawn, plotting the image.

now everyone's just using really big inject printers.

but that's neither here nor there. thanks for the link, i'll follow up with them.

EDS66
2004-06-28, 21:45
well, i am actually old enough to remember the old school, actual plotters. everyone calls large printers plotters, but they aren't.

used to be a plotter was a printer that used little pens. the pens would be picked up and put down where the line needed to be drawn, plotting the image.

now everyone's just using really big inject printers.

but that's neither here nor there. thanks for the link, i'll follow up with them.

Ask for Robbie. Tell him you were referred by Gene. He will get you a deal.

Escher
2004-06-28, 21:51

I remember seeing the plotters with the pens in architecture and engineering firms as a kid. From what I understood, the (pen) plotters were unbeatable at drawing (literally) vector images, i.e. building plans and engineering drawings. Do they still exist? Or did real plotters go the way of the Dodo?

Escher

drewprops
2004-06-30, 15:28
I still have my Atari plotter in a closet somewhere. It's about the size of one of those small HP photo printers, has four pens (black, red, blue, green) and could be controlled using programming or using TURTLE. At one of my clients' offices I use a fat-daddy 36" wide HP "plotter" that is in actuality, as stated above, just a widebed printer. It retails for $10k> but they have it on a rental deal. There are wider models but this version fits their needs. You can get an Epson 24" model for under $2K, but it probably isn't as fast (though I would not swear this). For $6K> you ought to be able to find something that does you right. At all costs avoid the EnCad printer/plotters, they stink on ice...at least they used to.