PDA

View Full Version : Educational Discount

danny_boy
2005-05-28, 04:53
Hi There,

I'm on vacation this year in San Francisco. I'm from the UK. I was wondering if I could use my educational discount in the states being from the UK?

Cheers

Danny

BenRoethig
2005-05-28, 07:14
Only if you're going to a U.S. based college or university.

danny_boy
2005-05-28, 07:24
Ok, Cheers guess I won't be able to then

torifile
2005-05-28, 08:17
Give it a try. In my experience, they're pretty lax at verifying anything. If you give them your student id (which they'll need a copy of), they may not even realize it's a UK school. Just don't say anything about it. What the worst that could happen? They say no? Give it a shot and see....

pmazer
2005-05-28, 11:19
When buying from the Apple Store, do you need to show anything to verify the educational discount?

Brad
2005-05-28, 12:23
Yes. If you don't have an .edu e-mail address or a university ship-to address, you're usually contacted shortly after you place the order and asked to FAX a copy of your student ID and/or transcript.

FallenFromTheTree
2005-05-28, 13:50
Does your school have a partner school here in the U.S.?

I think you'll be fine as long as you show your I.D. and mention that you're
touring schools here right now for further education.

pmazer
2005-05-28, 23:25
Darn, I guess that means I'll have to wait until orientation (after the $100 rebate is over) in order to buy educational.

Gman
2005-06-02, 16:14
So hypothetically speaking, if I work for an educational institution and I take classes as well, would I be eligible for the discount and the rebate?

sunrain
2005-06-02, 16:29
So hypothetically speaking, if I work for an educational institution and I take classes as well, would I be eligible for the discount and the rebate?
Actually, you wouldn't even have to take classes to be eligible for an edu discount.

turtle
2005-06-02, 16:33
I was able to use the educational discount at the Apple Store near me and have never been asked for anything to prove it. My wife and I home-school our daughter and thats all I told them. I got the discount and never had to present anything to prove one way or the other. So if you are a home-schooler you don't need to worry about being "carded" to get the discount; from my experience.

torifile
2005-06-02, 19:29
Just working at an educational institution is all you need. You don't to be a student to get an ed discount. (Someone said this above, but I think it bore rementioning.)

cysio
2005-06-05, 17:43
Together with my girlfriend we used the educational discount to buy our ibooks a week ago.
I am a hs senior and she is hs junior.
I was accepted to college, while she is only taking "college now" classes in hs.
We used ibook online store and we were never asked to prove it. After five days our quite ibooks were in our houses.

rasmits
2005-06-05, 19:25
I've bought a lot of stuff at Edu discount, and I neither have a .edu address or University ship-to.

They've never asked me for verification. I bought a PowerBook, iBook, Tiger, iMac, and soon a Mac Mini.