PDA

View Full Version : Stickies

Banana
2005-06-09, 13:24
Looks like stickies aren't working with the recent flood of new dead threads.

It occured to me that 1) stickies don't keep at top if you look at "today's post" and that 2) people with wet pants will look for start new thread before they even much as nanosecondally glance at the thread list...

Maybe we should fix it? I'm not the one driving the car but thought warranted a comment on that....

Death to dead threads!

Kickaha
2005-06-09, 14:11
Might be nice to have a new user be *required* to read all the stickies before making a first post.

Posting Guidelines, then any FAQ stickies.

torifile
2005-06-09, 14:56
An annoying thing to do would be something like Fatwallet does in their finance forum: require you to click through a screen that says "search first. read these second. then think REAL hard before you post. Don't be a dumbass and post a thread that's going to get locked right away" (or something like that).

Brad
2005-06-09, 16:00
Actually, Jack and I had discussed forcing users to see the PGs as a step in the registration process, but we decided that it wouldn't be worth the effort since new users would just ignore it and scroll to the end, much like what people do with the license screen when installing software. Heck, lots of them already ignore the BOLD RED TEXT we added that says they need to read and follow the confirmation e-mail.

I do like the idea of forcing stickies to appear on the VTP page. I may look into seeing how much effort that'll take this weekend.

I also like torifile's idea. I could put a conditional statement in there so it only displays that for starting and replying to S&R threads. :lol:

Jeez... anything to stop or slow the onslaught of blinding idiocy.

sunrain
2005-06-09, 16:04
Might be nice to have a new user be *required* to read all the stickies before making a first post.

Posting Guidelines, then any FAQ stickies.
I think most would scroll past that much info, but maybe a few choice words before making that first post would stick in their *oh so very thick thick* brains.

You could also deputize some temporary mods to take out the trash.

Kickaha
2005-06-09, 16:06
I vote for sending a voltage back through the network to their keyboards, myself.

Banana
2005-06-09, 16:39
Another solution to consider is a ban on new threads for users under 100 posts counts in S+R, Apple and Third party products, General Discussion.

Another option is to require users to read stickies, on the understanding that breaking stickies=instant banification!

:D

thuh Freak
2005-06-09, 17:35
I vote for sending a voltage back through the network to their keyboards, myself.
i say we fund bashorg, so they can finish out this fiendish device (http://bash.org/?4281).

Brad
2005-06-09, 17:44
Another solution to consider is a ban on new threads for users under 100 posts counts in S+R, Apple and Third party products, General Discussion.
This is another option we'd discussed once, but indeed there are too many instances when relatively new users have legitimately made new threads.

Banana
2005-06-09, 18:22
My apologies if you've already covered that.

Just so you know, I had posted a new and legitimate thread at like my 7th or 8th post?, and would still be okay if I didn't had this prilivege.

The idea was that I'd have to PM a pster here to get it started, in the process getting a mentor and feedback, helping the new poster to grow, and hopefully spreading moderating around to likes of Kickaha, torifile, and messiahtosh.

And as an added bonus, it'll give you more time to whomp Kickahas ass. :p

Kickaha
2005-06-09, 18:24
Hey now! If I didn't have this other dissertation thingy, I'd be da shiznitz.

billybobsky
2005-06-09, 18:33
What we need is an AI driven keyword search that will not let you post a new thread if your first post has significant amounts of key words similar to other threads.

Kickaha
2005-06-09, 18:38
Hey! Good idea!

Brad, just write a quick back end to hook into the Spotlight index, and...

:D

Brad
2005-06-09, 18:58
:lol:

Well, I got "in the zone" and started hacking templates a few minutes ago. What do you guys think of this? It separates and draws attention to stickies as though they are announcements! This is actually something I've wanted to implement for a while and those morons in S&R got me motivated.

edit: image removed because it's now on the live site!

Ryan
2005-06-09, 19:07
That looks pretty good, Brad.

What if the background of the "Read Me First!" threads was the dark grey color, instead of light grey, so as to differentiate it farther from the regular threads.

Brad
2005-06-09, 19:08
That's all the validation I need. :) I'll start moving the changes to the live server shortly...

FFL
2005-06-09, 19:11
how about a nice subtle title like "Read This BEFORE Posting!!"
?

Brad
2005-06-09, 19:13
Yeah, I'll change READ THIS FIRST to Read This BEFORE Posting!!

FFL
2005-06-09, 19:14
shouldn't there be, a comma, in there someplace?
;)

Brad
2005-06-09, 19:22
Boof! Done!

I rule. :)

psmith2.0
2005-06-09, 20:16
You can do that, or you can ban about 27 dipshits who've put down roots here in the past few days (always around keynote time, the wingnuts come out in huge numbers).

:err:

This time around was especially idiotic, what with the whole Intel thing and all. An extra stupid level of hysteria, misinformation, stupid threads, stupid posts, stupid proclamations, etc.

:mad:

:p

turtle
2005-06-09, 22:52
I know I'm new compared to everyone posting so far on this but the new stickies are awesome. I would say it didn't stick out to me when I first joined AN. The start up screens just get blazed through until you get passed the "legal stuff" and onto posting or reading more. Well that is what I normally do anyway, thought I so know what the word SEARCH means. I didn't however know the difference between MAC and Mac. I guess we all have to start somewhere.

2005-06-10, 13:49
Well, I got "in the zone" and started hacking templates a few minutes ago. What do you guys think of this? It separates and draws attention to stickies as though they are announcements! This is actually something I've wanted to implement for a while and those morons in S&R got me motivated.I like this very much. :)