PDA

View Full Version : not sure what to do.... seems like a common problem these days

johnner1999
2005-06-12, 17:36
I think I'll get an extreme mini from the local apple store and this sony display

mfm-ht75w click here http://tinyurl.com/aa5v8

OR

just get a 20" rev-b iMac (really want a G5 - but kind of like being able to buy a G5 mini or maybe intel mini down the road) BUT as with any good computer geek I want it all now :-)

used for iLife, Keynote, Pages, FCP-HD, and well surfing and e-mailing

so please offer your advice

John

Stevuh
2005-06-13, 00:19
ok if your gonna use FCPHD on a mini i think i may have to kill you. . . or at least smack you. i was reading your post and was like just go for the mini , ilife, page, keynote, all run on a mini easily. then you had to mention FCPHD</sarcasm>, to be perfectly honest i don't think the mini is able to run FCP and if it does it's will be slow. my PB is getting to be painfully slow. if you can afford an iMac just go for it. the pentium switch isn't going to be for a while, probably january at the earliest and i'd almost want to continue running PPC hardware, (not an intel fan).

HTH

Luca
2005-06-13, 08:34
Oh and why buy that display? That's about the most you could ever spend on a 17" LCD. Non-widescreen 17" LCDs are $200-$300 now, and widescreen 20" LCDs are as low as $500 if you look around. $700 for a 17" widescreen is crazy, even with a TV tuner!

I'd suggest the iMac if you want to run FCP-HD. The mini is only a good deal if you get it intending for it to be low end. Add an expensive monitor and all the expensive upgrades (plus required accessories like extra RAM and a keyboard and mouse) and it ends up costing almost as much as an iMac but ends up being a whole lot less powerful.

omem
2005-06-13, 09:05
There is a brand new iMac G4 1,25 17'' still for sale at this store here in Portugal, for 899. I'd buy that instead of a mini, if i were to buy a mini... too bad noone in my family is thinking of buying a mini! I really like that iMac.