PDA

View Full Version : new imacs imminent confirmed by apple (Merged with hmurchison's thread)

windowsblowsass
2004-07-01, 16:47
from apple.com

imac
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/576/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/step1bullet_imac_0701.gif

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70906/wo/Bx6VPsuDKMad2Ywb1sGFyCPwVoJ/0.0.7.1.0.6.21.1.2.1.1.0.0.1.0

Quagmire
2004-07-01, 16:50
It says next generation. Does that mean G5?

SKMDC
2004-07-01, 16:51
you beat me by a lash, but i don't think it's speculation and rumour at this point.

SKMDC
2004-07-01, 17:02
actually we could speculate what the heck it's form will be, so i suppose this isn't off the topic.

HOM
2004-07-01, 17:05
HOLY SHIT!

And people say that Apple isn't open about upcoming products.

I guess that the Paris (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=733) iMac theory was right after all.

:wow:

This leaves me wondering. Why would Apple do this now, but not introduce the iMacs at WWDC?

SKMDC
2004-07-01, 17:09
HOLY SHIT!

And people say that Apple isn't open about upcoming products.

I guess that the Paris (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=733) iMac theory was right after all.

This leaves me wondering. Why would Apple do this now, but not introduce the iMacs at WWDC?

somebody probably crunched some numbers and realized the iMacs are going to be gone before the (new) iMacs are ready.
announcing now, will slow down the old iMac sales making the 4 week window stretch a little longer, but they were going to have to explain the weeks when there is absolutely no iMac available for sale.
you people would freak out.

Escher
2004-07-01, 17:12
Holy guacamole!!! I thought for sure this was a bad joke. But this is indeed what you get if you click on the iMac in the Apple Store. :confused:

Pretty embarassing for this to come out without official comment from Apple PR. I guess we'll have to wait for the MacMinutes and MacCentrals of the world to call for details from the horse's mouth.

Escher

thegelding
2004-07-01, 17:16
september seems a bit of a ways away to have no product...oh well...at least iMacG5s are coming...let the mock ups and spec guessing begin

iMac paris...shaped like the eiffel tower or like a breast?? depends on the paris we are taking about i guess.

g

as a side note...my iMacFP is now a "classic" model...and a collectors item

Messiahtosh
2004-07-01, 17:19
Maccentral has Apple confirmation of this. It's definite now.

thegelding
2004-07-01, 17:22
actually it was confirmed the moment i saw it at apple's own online store...much stronger than maccentral for proof...

anyways...now the specualtion of why apple has this rather large goof of no iMacs to sell....G5 too hot? new case design errors?? not enough G5 chips??

g

and when will they show them??? show and ship in september? show in July, ship in september? show in august, ship in september....or, horrors, show in september, ship at a later date (october, november)

psmith2.0
2004-07-01, 17:23
Isn't it just kinda "what it is"? Why the alarm, pessimism and drama? Hell, no one here gave a rat's ass about the iMac, oh, two hours ago. And everyone was kinda prepared for a September/Paris rollout anyway, so...

:confused:

I think it's refreshing - and kinda nice on their part - to clue us in for once. Imagine if ALL the iMacs dried up and they said NOTHING. 68% of you here - and you know who you are - would shit yourself into a state of torqued-up rage never before witnessed by human beings.

:err:

Just two more months, AND since they mention "next generation", that can only mean one thing, IMO: a G5-based iMac. Honestly, do you think they'd go through the trouble of redesigning a whole new machine, only to stick in 1.5GHz G4s? They know people would storm their HQ and murder them.

:D

HAS to be a G5. And I'm betting this is where the 17" display - albeit in a different enclosure (read: NO aluminum iAnything) comes into play.

Bet it'll be cool, whatever it is. I ain't buying one anyway, so I can wait all year. I do hope, however, that once they ARE announced, they're available and shipping right away. None of this "we're announcing today and taking pre-orders...we expect the 17" to be available in early November, and the 20" by late December..." bullcrap.

:mad:

thegelding
2004-07-01, 17:27
i agree...but it is weird to go to the apple store and try to purchase a computer (the most advertised computer apple makes) and see the words basically: none to sell you, go away...come back in a couple of months and maybe we will show you one..." reminds me of the doorman in The Wizard of Oz telling dorothy and friends to go away

g

psmith2.0
2004-07-01, 17:35
True, but look at this from the other end too: we now pretty much know - 97% sure - that this is going to be a G5-based machine.

This will probably become the most waited-on, lusted-after machine they've ever done. Combine that with the whole "20th anniversary" year vibe, the fact that the iMac IS Apple (sorry to all you tower/Power guys...that's just true) and it's their golden-haired flagship (way to mix those metaphors, Paul) AND that it's not been touched/updated in so long...to me, that just all adds up to something quite special and butt-whipping.

I truly, truly believe we will all be blown away, impressed and pleased by what's coming.

Doing this only stokes the fire, gets attention, gets people talking, etc.

All they have to do is deliver something that doesn't suck and we're all okay...

oldmacfan
2004-07-01, 17:37
<mouth hanging open going duh>

Can anyone ever remember Apple doing anything like this before?

I am shocked.

psmith2.0
2004-07-01, 17:46
<mouth hanging open going duh>

Can anyone ever remember Apple doing anything like this before?

I am shocked.

"Beyond the rumor sites...way beyond". :lol:

You know what, Apple has to secretly love us (and places like this). We could all just as easily not give a shit what they release, when they release it, never care about what Steve has to talk about a couple times a year, etc.

We could always go that route and see if they're happier.

:devil:

I kinda like to think that - in their darkest moments (the Cube thing, the stock-busting bad forecast call a few years ago, the product delays, the hardware glitches, etc.), they can always count on a certain percentage of their devotees to hang with them, talk them up, praise them to friends and family, display their logo on their windshield.

Fickle, fairweather people we aren't. That's gotta be worth something. An iPod, maybe? A date with Ms. Cleary? A raffle for a ride on the Gulfstream?

:p

matt
2004-07-01, 17:52
I think this is unproffesional! How can they stop taking orders without details to the new orders. The only people buying the remaining G4 iMacs are the few that are clueless about Apple, or just don't care. Why would they not give details and/or pics?

If they wanted to create better numbers, they would start pre-ordering TODAY! I know I would buy one for Sept delievery!!

Escher
2004-07-01, 17:57
I still feel like I'm trippin' on acid. :wow:

I just can't get over Apple's directness. I bet Apple Expo Paris will be jam packed. A 60-day wait shouldn't be too bad.

I very clearly remember the disappointment after the completely exagerated "way beyond the rumor sites" tease. It kind of gives me the jitters. I sure hope this "next generation" iMac really is a G5.

I wonder what display options the next gen iMac will come with, and -- assuming they are separate -- whether those displays will work with the new 12-inch PowerBook that is on its way to me.

Escher

autodata
2004-07-01, 18:03
Unbelievable.

SonOfSylvanus
2004-07-01, 18:06
:no: You mean Apple RAN OUT of one of their most high-profile products?! That's weak man.

psmith2.0
2004-07-01, 18:09
I wonder what display options the next gen iMac will come with, and -- assuming they are separate -- whether those displays will work with the new 12-inch PowerBook that is on its way to me.

Oh, if they're separate I'd almost bet the farm they'd be DVI units, and work wonderfully with your PowerBook.

Now, that I think about it (since I wasn't nuts about dropping $1299 for a display), maybe there might indeed be a separate "iDisplay" (in glossy white or whatever), intended to go with the new iMac (IF it's a "headless" thing, but I doubt it). And if so, maybe they won't be as high end (expensive) as the aluminum Cinema Displays, will leave FireWire off and they'll come in the current wide 17" and 20" varieties...allowing me to get, say, a 17" for the $600-something range (or a sub-$1000 20")?

I don't know...it's all too confusing, and the next 60 days are going to be wild with speculation. I'd LOVE to get that 20" aluminum Cinema Display, but I wouldn't be opposed to a 1440x900 17" either, even in glossy white. Every other accessory I seem to have looks that way (iPod, mouse, keyboard, Creature speakers, AirPort Extreme base station) and looks just fine parked beside the PB.

:)

SonOfSylvanus
2004-07-01, 18:17
Spose this explains the early finish of Steve's Keynote... It seems to me that if he didn't even have time to make up filler for the rest of the Keynote that this iMac delay thing might have been a REALLY last minute decision.

sunrain
2004-07-01, 18:20
actually it was confirmed the moment i saw it at apple's own online store...much stronger than maccentral for proof...

anyways...now the specualtion of why apple has this rather large goof of no iMacs to sell....G5 too hot? new case design errors?? not enough G5 chips??

g

and when will they show them??? show and ship in september? show in July, ship in september? show in august, ship in september....or, horrors, show in september, ship at a later date (october, november)
I'm not so sure that they'll wait until September to announce the details of these new iMacs. I know that the statement says "announced and available in September", but I've got to think that it might be "announced, and available in September."

...or maybe they're going to drive us nuts with bread crumbs along the way. Start with a silhouette on the front page next week, etc. and then give us bit by bit details until the full unveiling in September.

Escher
2004-07-01, 18:48
I'd LOVE to get that 20" aluminum Cinema Display, but I wouldn't be opposed to a 1440x900 17" either, even in glossy white.

Yup, pscates. I have a relatively new third-party 17" LCD (a ViewSonic ThinEdge) that will keep my PowerBook happy for now. A new 20" Alu ACD would be swank addition/replacement. But a new, more affordable 17" or 20" iWhite Display would be even better.

My new 12-inch PB with external LCD will fulfil my needs (come Tuesday). So I can wait patiently for Steve's surprise, whatever it is.

Escher

kretara
2004-07-01, 18:59
Please make it headless, please make it headless, OHHHHH please make it headless

Ok, now that that is over.
I am rather shocked that Apple will have such a hole in their product lineup for 2-3 months.

Eugene
2004-07-01, 19:22
What a royal fuck-up, guys. AAPL is down 6% in extended hours trading, and it'll probably be down another 10% at the end of the trading day tomorrow. Great job, Apple.

propellerhead
2004-07-01, 19:23
I do believe Hell hath frozen over.

Apple practically preannouncing products? :eek:

I'm sure a few accountant's heads rolled for this..

Eugene
2004-07-01, 19:38
Yeah, let's see. No iMac for 2-3 months. No big deal, it only accounted for 1/4 of unit sales and 1/7 of total revenues. :err:

What the hell?

psmith2.0
2004-07-01, 19:42
They'll more than make up for it come September. :p

Hey, at least now we won't have to listen to how much people think they suck. No longer a player, so things can only go up from here, right?

alcimedes
2004-07-01, 19:57
well, it means that whatever they're coming out with, they've already revamped the production line to produce it. and whatever they're producing is different enough that it's not easy to go back to what they had.

to me that implies a new design. new design is usually built around the chip inside. so that screams G5.

odds are they redid the case to make up for the heat dissipation.

hell, maybe they'll make a headless mac for $400

psmith2.0
2004-07-01, 20:03
That's so funny you posted the above (and I thought you were going to touch on what I'm going to say): since they had originally planned for it to come out in a few weeks (mid-July), then they've long-ago designed it, ramped up production AND, most likely, have shot all the promo shots and created the marketing literature for it.

So, because of that, I expect either an actual leaked photo OR a dead-on illustration (as the recent ThinkSecret display rendering) before the month is over.

SOMEWHERE that stuff is out there, floating around. One will get released, I'm sure. Apple hasn't kept a true secret in a LONG time (AirPort Express being the only thing I can recall that truly came out of left field, unexpected).

I fully expect the cat to be let out of the bag WAY before September. Hell, I say before the end of July...WAY before.

Alpha9
2004-07-01, 20:17
Well isn't this cool, new iMacs maybe G5 or maybe 1.5GHz G4. I just hope the iMac series will get a better graphics card than what we have today.

FFL
2004-07-01, 20:19
Hell
Has
FROZEN
OVER

Messiahtosh
2004-07-01, 20:37
Premature Announcementization. :p

kretara
2004-07-01, 21:20
I wonder what happened to the "new" iMac to cause such a delay.

Crusader
2004-07-01, 21:22
Hell's Bells :wow:

This better be big enough for them to risk the lost profit.

I think Apple does love us :)

Crusader
2004-07-01, 21:23
I wonder what happened to the "new" iMac to cause such a delay.
Sunken shipload of iMacs?

alcimedes
2004-07-01, 21:30
probably nothing happened.

i would guess they knew there would be high demand for the new iMac. (assume G5 and affordable).

so, rather than the CONSTANT fucking shortages they always seem to suffer from when releasing new products, they overproduced the current line-up until they thought they had enough.

they stop producing the old ones and retool everything to make the new ones. only they guessed wrong as to how fast the old iMacs would sell. so they sold out, and it's not possible to retool everything to produce the old ones at this point.

so instead, they have nothing. of course, they'll announce the new ones in Paris, start taking preorders, and profits will be just fine. lets just hope the new ones are being produced fast enough to meet demand.

thegelding
2004-07-01, 21:39
mmmmm....sept is my birthday....

happy birthday to me
happy birthday to me
happy birthday, thegelding gets a new iMac G5 with lots of ram and all kind of cool gadgets and widgets and shit
happy birthday to me

g

Messiahtosh
2004-07-01, 21:54
:lol:

hmurchison
2004-07-01, 22:14
iMac with LCD

Perhaps someone has brought this up already but I was thinking about Apple's move to DVI monitors. The lack of a 17" model suprises me because that's the most popular size I believe. I wonder how well it would go over if Apple redesigned the iMac to have a removable monitor. The DVI connector would be covered by the base of he iMac but a few screws and voila! You have a DVI monitor that works everywhere. Apple then bundles the monitor with the iMac of course and ignores the requests/demands that they sell just the base unit.

Thus, iMacs sell and there becomes a healthy market for 17" iMac LCDs on ebay :smokey:

windowsblowsass
2004-07-01, 23:00
um wrong place could a mod move this to speculation and rumor

MacUsers
2004-07-01, 23:10
Wow.

Eugene
2004-07-01, 23:19
It would have been better just to demo the new iMac at WWDC and let the hype freeze the sales of the old iMac. That way they would have never had to admit their mistake.

The end result is going to be a HUGE sell-off based on the uncertainty of it all...it's a shame.

oldmacfan
2004-07-01, 23:21
Well, I am going to chime in with a thought. I have said this before, and I believe this will be the implamentation. Apple and IBM have been developing 2 distinct chip lines. A PPC based on the Power4+(i.e. PPC-970 and PPC-970fx), and a PPC based on the Power5. We have seen the first line, we have yet to see the second. This chip should now be ready.

Also, it is my belief that the new iMac will use the new mobile PCIe graphics cards from either ATI or NVidia. This will give it an upgradable graphics port that is small enough to fit into an iMac style body.

Another sure bet, is the use of SATA hard drives, and If we are really lucky, SATA II hard drives with NCQ technology.

Call me what you will, but i believe this will happen.

Luca
2004-07-01, 23:21
Done.

billybobsky
2004-07-01, 23:24
"timing less than perfect"

that's awesome. is this some two-bit operation?

Messiahtosh
2004-07-01, 23:35
Yes, a two bit operation with an 8 billion dollar market cap. :)

oldmacfan
2004-07-01, 23:36
Now, the statement of Apple laughing about the iMac rumors make even less sense.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-01, 23:43
Now, the statement of Apple laughing about the iMac rumors make even less sense.Unless they were drunk or rising up internally, against Apple! Let the speculation begin on that one! ;)

Paul
2004-07-02, 00:08
Unless they were drunk or rising up internally, against Apple! Let the speculation begin on that one! ;)

Macintosh/Messiahtosh/Steve,

you have made a great transition from your earlier days on .com...

I salute you.

Atomsk
2004-07-02, 04:30
so at least we're getting something for Apple 20years anniversary ! :)

this new iMac absolutely CAN'T BE a G4...nor a G3 :p
it would be nice to have an affordable machine with a mono-G5 cadenced at about 2Ghz ^^

stoo
2004-07-02, 07:46
PowerPC 604ev, last seen at 350MHz ? ;)

InactionMan
2004-07-02, 09:40
Apple usually has no problem announcing a product and stating it won't be available for a while. If it was a matter of not being able to meet initial demand by saying it was available now they would've happily allowed people to pre-order for a September ship date. Any chance they had to make a last-minute change to the form factor? If it were only a matter of IBM pumping out enough chips they would've announced it. This is just very odd.

psmith2.0
2004-07-02, 09:40
Yes, let's have a serious, grounded discussion here about the new iMac and what it might be like. Keep it based in reality and things we already know or expect, based on current technology, the other products in Apple's line-up, where Apple seems to be going, etc.

I'd be curious to hear stuff like this, starting with the above display talk.

If it's a two-piece unit (I'm kinda inclined to believe it isn't, but what do I know...), will the displays fill in that missing 17", sharing a similar design as the new Cinema displays, just wrapped in different, iStyle plastics?

Chip-wise, this HAS to be a G5, right? Single processor, in the 1.6-2.0GHz range, I'd guess? How about graphics? I think 64MB across the board.

No FireWire 800, but USB 2.0, AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, FireWire 400, etc. across the board.

What will be the "hook" of this new iMac? The original jellybean was all about simplicity, hooking up and getting online (hence the "i"?). The slot-loading DV series - with FireWire and iMovie - were about digital video and the beginnings of the whole digital music thing with the "Rip, Mix & Burn" angle of the CD-R-equipped Blue Dalmation and Flower Power models.

The iMac G4 was positioned as the ideal "digital hub" iMac, in print ads and on Apple's site (remember the graphics showing the camera, iPod, camcorder, PDA, blank disk, etc. all swirling around it?).

What could be a new direction/hook that this new iMac might be built on?

What major hardware and/or software component might be introduced that would really catch us by surprise and make this something unique and special?

Anything? Or will it just be a standard - albeit faster - iMac?

TV capability? Some sort of funky display usage? Onboard iSight? New enclosure/materials (gone are the white plastics, in are G5-inspired sleek aluminum panels?).

This is the kind of crap I want to know. NOW!

psmith2.0
2004-07-02, 09:56
I inclined to go along with that. They're CONSTANTLY announcing stuff and not having it available to ship for 1, 2 or even three months.

Something like this points more to a major calculation error OR - most likely - some serious, serious design/manufacturing glitch that probably JUST happened a short time ago (if they were going to be out in the next few weeks, as Apple's site says, don't we think Steve would've laid it on us at WWDC?).

"Oh yeah...there's just one more thing. Six years ago, we introduced a new kind of computer..." [massive cheering and fainting]

Whatever it was must've popped-up fairly recently, blowing their "iMac in mid-July" plans totally out of the water, and creating the current situation that arose yesterday on their site.

Maybe the display was just one big white spot?

InactionMan
2004-07-02, 10:01
It has to have a G5, I think that is a given. Otherwise, this current iMac SNAFU is completely unacceptable.

Processor will start at 1.6 G5, 1.8 and 2 for the top end. The Graphics has to start at 64MB because that is lowest chip that fully supports Core Image/Core Video. The mid and high end will have 128MB. I'm guessing RAM will start at 256, the high end will ship with 512. Firewire 800, USB2 across the board. Bluetooth/Airport built in on the mid and high end.

It'll be headless but you'll be able to buy it bundled with a 17" Display (like the old LCs) or sans monitor.

thegelding
2004-07-02, 11:06
two piece, but monitor is tightly involved (3 sizes, can be taken off and new monitor added...keeps you buying an apple monitor, but lets you upgrade or use monitor on a new iMac if you upgrade to the next model in a couple of years...like pscates model but nicer ;) ...monitor lifts off base to be replaced...comes in 15", 17", 20"...only apple monitor works (at least at first) due to monitor having to fit base correctly...dvi connection

L2 cache-512k
60/80/120 HD--ata serial 7200---maybe only 5600 if heat is an issue
256/256/512 PC 3200 ram--2 slots--max 2 GB
64 MB graphics--geforce fx 5200...BTO option of 128 on top two models
1.6/1.8/2.0 G5--bus 800/900/1 GHz
combo/super/super

1499/1799/1999

edu prices
1299/1599/1799

base looks like a metallic volcano (to channel heat upward)...monitor still tilts and swivels, but no metal arms, so it won't swing forward and around...tilts 15% back and forth and will swivel on it's base 20% left or 20% right...

g

psmith2.0
2004-07-02, 12:19
What about a big ol' upside down "T" :)

Flat base, about the thickness of an iBook, but much wider (see top view). The below is crude (no curvy lusciousness worked in). But a monitor could be attached at the mid-point and swing back and forth. Goalpost design, I call it. Guts aren't "glommed on" to the back of display, but are separate - and horizontal. Ports on back, drive/USB/FireWire/power button on front. Vents cutely placed everywhere else, as needed. Stays rectangular, no no having to fool with (and design/manufacture funky circular boards or components).

Materials would be gracefully contoured and sleekly joined, of course...and sprinkled with additional Ive "magic dust". But you get the idea:

http://homepage.mac.com/pscates/mockups/imacG52.jpg

hmurchison
2004-07-02, 12:20
Give people a two piece setup.

Utilize a similar connector like the cable bundle Apple has for the 30" display. This cable would have Signal/FW/USB2/Audio. The monitor would be powered from AC BUT it would contain a link right on the monitor for the included new Apple Speakers which can attach to the sides of the monitor via slots or stand on their own.

The base would be somewhat triangular with the top small section containing a Airport antenna and Blue Tooth. this base looks great sitting below the 17" widescreen or becaue of the two piece design it's able to be put up to 6 feet away and hidden.

The unit must have digital out for audio. And be able to run a standard DVI monitor should someone decide they want a 20" or greater monitor.

I won't freak if it only goes up to 1.6Ghz for a G5 but if the graphics suck then this is game over. Tiger ensures that you need a decent GPU in the computer and I don't want to be stuck with non upgradable crap.

autodata
2004-07-02, 13:37
They screwed up and now might miss the back to school season.

DMBand0026
2004-07-02, 13:39
They screwed up and now might miss the back to school season.

They missed back to school. Even if they ship in early September, it's too late.

Colossal screw up, IMHO.

Although I'm glad they said something about it instead of just letting the supply dry up and trying to cover it up till mid September.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-02, 16:28
Not really, the eMac is all that education would buy anyway.

DMBand0026
2004-07-02, 17:17
Not really, the eMac is all that education would buy anyway.

But quite a few consumers are looking for a good computer to buy right around that time each year. Back to school isn't just for educational institutions, it's consumers looking to get a new computer before their little ones go back to school too.

HOM
2004-07-02, 17:28
But quite a few consumers are looking for a good computer to buy right around that time each year. Back to school isn't just for educational institutions, it's consumers looking to get a new computer before their little ones go back to school too.
Actually back to school is almost entirely for consumers. Educational institutions make their purchasing decisions much earlier in the year which is why Apple has always updated the iBooks and eMacs in April or early May. Consumer back to school buying tends to peak in the end of July and the beginning of August.

As for the fuck up, I see it as one of three things. First, there was a production issue with the new iMacs that have caused a halting of production, possibly requiring parts to be redesigned. Rather than having to deal with angry customers, ala white spots, Apple chose to fix the issue now. Second, there could be a massive parts shortage that caused the new models to be stopped. IBM couldn't ship enough stable G5's, ATI/NVIDA couldn't produce the right chip-sets, or they can't secure enough LCD displays that meet their standards. The last option is that everything is going just fine with the new iMacs, but their predictions on how long the current channel inventory would last were wildly off. This could be possible, but I seriously doubt that Apple couldn't forecast how many units they were going to ship this quarter. The new quarter started on Wednesday with the conference call next Wednesday. That's a miscalculation of some 150-250,000 units.

autodata
2004-07-02, 17:42
Probably 1 or 2, because from the note on the store it's pretty clear they just couldn't get the new ones ready in time. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they were going to try to take advantage of the season by releasing the new imac right at the beginning.

LudwigVan
2004-07-02, 19:08
The new quarter started on Wednesday with the conference call next Wednesday.

It's a pretty safe bet someone will ask what the deal is with the "iMac black hole" during the conference call. Better dial up that QuickTime rebroadcast later next week...

Bones3D
2004-07-02, 22:51
I once had an idea for a modular iMac. Kinda like this from top to bottom:

* 3.5" bay
* 5.25" bay
* PCI bridge (optional)
* video card / CPU / RAM
* power supply / motherboard

The idea behind it, was that it would allow users to perform normally difficult upgrades by simply purchasing and adding on/replacing modules.

Realistically though, I doubt anyone will design such a beast. Stability would be questionable at best.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-02, 23:42
Colors will be back too, they help to differentiate the product, and make updates LOOK updated. The old iMac never looked anything but white, so to some it was "the same thing" forever. :\

I like colors. :)

Spart
2004-07-03, 00:33
The idea of an iMac no longer being "the whole widget" is kind of intriguing.

Has anyone wondered why the smallest new Aluminum display is 20"? I mean, come on, twenty freaking inches. That's the size of the TV in my bedroom.

Apple has a nice piece of work with the iMac's swivel and tilt display. Anyone who's used it can't help but love it. It's not only a great ergonomic design, but it's a user-centric design. Instead of the user sitting so he/she can see the display well, the user sits however he/she wants and moves the display to the appropriate position with a touch.

I'm sure Apple had good reason not to include this design on the new monitors. Sure, Apple already has a 20" iMac, but the iMac's base is a good counterweight for that thing. Imagine what they would have to do to make it a separate monitor. Even the power supply wouldn't keep that thing from tipping over.

I can see Apple bringing enhanced, widescreen tilt and swivel displays to the masses in 15.4" and 17" sizes. Along with those would be the new headless iMac...a totally redesigned, new machine. Think of it as the cube done right, and at a better price point. This time, with no iMac to undercut and cheap eMacs that don't need to be worried about. Also, this way people can mix and match pro and consumer devices, a small screen with a Power Mac, and a big screen with an iMac.

How it will be designed is beyond me. How upgradeable it will be is also beyond me. Now that the PowerMacs are so feature-rich, I imagine Apple doesn't have much of a reason to keep the iMac so feature-less.

Eugene
2004-07-03, 03:21
I don't think it will. It means no more reasonably priced 20" iMac. Nobody's going to buy an iMac AND pay $1299 for a 20" monitor. A standalone iMac G5 and no monitor isn't going to cost under $1000, I don't think.

Gargoyle
2004-07-03, 04:15
I am thinking that there might be a aluminium iMac. But - it seems that the product line is clearly split at the moment.

Aluminium = Professional range. PowerBook, G5, Big-ass screens.
White = Consumer range. iPods, iMacs, etc.

These consumers are probably only going to buy a new computer every 3 to 5 years at least. Any add-ons they might want can be done via USB/Firewire. If you want more than that, then Apple want you to buy a G5.

Good play by Apple I say. :D

sunrain
2004-07-03, 04:53
I am thinking that there might be a aluminium iMac. But - it seems that the product line is clearly split at the moment.

These consumers are probably only going to buy a new computer every 3 to 5 years at least. Any add-ons they might want can be done via USB/Firewire. If you want more than that, then Apple want you to buy a G5.

Good play by Apple I say. :D

Are you saying that you don't think the new iMac will have a G5 in it? Or by 'G5' do you mean a PowerMac? I can't see how the iMac won't have a G5 processor at this point. Certainly the iMac line will stick to single processors, but the iMac has lost its legs with the G4. Time to move on.

sunrain
2004-07-03, 05:06
The new quarter started on Wednesday with the conference call next Wednesday.

Then I think we'll see some iMac information appear on the site the day before, so they don't have to do a bunch of backpedaling during the call.

psmith2.0
2004-07-03, 12:38

Yeah, but things change. After reading this piece (http://www.powerpage.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/powerpage.woa/wa/story?newsID=12187), part of me kinda wonders if the iMac just might become that new, proudly middle-ground prosumer thing everyone's wished it to be? Aluminum, sporting a G5, headless (maybe), etc. and occupying that $1,000-2,000 slot.

The eMac is actually more "iMac-ish", in it's body style and AIO nature. In fact, the eMac is the 17" G4-based AIO we all wished for in 2000 and 2001 (remember any of that "Eight Ball" talk at some rumor sites?).

Sounds silly, but here what I'D do if I were in charge:

I'd simply rename the eMac > iMac. Have it and the iBook, both glossy white, with the "i" moniker, representing the consumer/education/affordable end of Apple's offereings.

Keep the Power Mac and PowerBook, of course, as is.

RENAME this new "iMac" something else altogether. Maybe just The Mac.

It would perfectly straddle that line between G4 CRT eMac (sorry, now iMac) and $1999 entry-level G5 tower.

Hell, make it aluminum, just like the G5 (psychologically, maybe that'll help go a long way toward some street cred?). Make it headless and DVI-based. AND...complete the line-up of displays by pairing it with a wide 17" (1440x900, which is sorely missed in Apple's new display line-up, although there might be a very good reason for that...).

You could buy this new aluminum The Mac in one of several ways:

1. Simply as is, for those who already own a great monitor, CRT or LCD.

2. With the 17" wide display, and some kind of cool bundle pricing worked out.

3. Buy it alone, as in #1 above...with the option of being able to go nuts and pair it with the 20" or 23" Cinema Display, down the road, as one's budget allows.

That standalone 17" would also be available for separate purchase, to G5 owners AND PowerBook people (like me).

So it goes:

• You have four displays: 17", 20", 23" and 30". All except the 30" can be used with G5s, PowerBooks or The Mac. All widescreen, gorgeous and aluminum (to match the three products they can be - out of the box - used with)

• You instantly solve the "but the iMac is AIO...that's just tradition!" crowd by simply calling the eMac what it looks like and what it basically already IS. Yeah, seems silly to say it, but I bet after two weeks, no one will think anything else about it. They'll forget the word eMac ever existed. The iMac is now your G4-based, 17" AIO (which is what it should've been 3-4 years ago)

• You have a new flagship product in The Mac (hell, even work a cool "20" into its name or logo somehow, denoting the whole 20th anniversary thing). Modular, semi-customizable, powerful (G5-based, remember) and able to be purchased in whatever way the customer desires (see 1-3 above).

THERE is your ultimate switcher machine, mid-level prosumer Mac and envy of the world. You don't step on the toes (and memory) of the iMac, because you simply rebrand an already great machine to take over that respected, beloved name. That and its matching portable brother, the iBook, righteously hold down the consumer/educational end of Apple's line-up. You've got the serious, pro crowd taken care of with the G5 towers (and on-the-horizon G5-based PowerBooks).

Sitting firmly in the middle, affordable to most and customizable/flexible to an enviable degree, you have The Mac. Cool, fast, affordable, powerful and ready for serious business.

You'll sell those, you'll STILL sell the iBook and iMac (hey, an instant $799 iMac!), you'll sell G5 towers AND you'll sell the hell out of four very fine displays (because I'm betting most people - at some point - will opt for the quality and style of the Apple displays).

Anyway...that's my solution (http://homepage.mac.com/pscates/mockups/lineup.jpg). And the more I think about - and imagine it - the more I like it...much more so than any other talk/suggestions I've heard. Then again, I am biased...

;)

Let the eMac be what it really wants to be, and what people imagine it as anyway. And feel that open slot with an aluminum-clad winner, that EVERYONE in the Mac community has been demanding for years (headless).

I'd do it TOMORROW, if I had any say-so.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-03, 13:03
Sorry pscates, I totally disagree.

The eMac should just be ended, and the new iMac should fill the gap (like it used to) from $799 all the way up to $1600. No question about it!

What the new iMac needs is for it to be sold as an all-in-one. For $799 Apple could build in a 15'' LCD with a fast G4 and keep it at that price. Apple could then just leave the LCD sizing up to the buyer and the pricing would be determined by G5 speeds and LCD sizing.

Make it colorful too, we don't need the clinical, doctor's office Macs anymore! Colors are one of the things that made differentiating certain iMacs from all others, screen size doesn't do that for the average Joe these days. People see the same old form factor and think it's been around for a long time, and don't even associate the color white with "iMac."

iMac is meant to be affordable, powerful, colorful, and options ladened. Give the thing expansion possibilities, such as making the LCD removable from it's AIO form, if necessary. Do not sell it without the LCD, but make it so it can be upgraded without having to trash an LCD. That way, the iMac could become a headless box if it had to be. But for God's sake, sell it as a proprietary AIO, in that it is only a "perfect fit" with Apple's LCD's. Sure you could hook it up to any old LCD, but it wouldnt lock in properly or work as an AIO without the Apple LCD. But for people who want to mount an LCD on the wall, and stick the iMac under or on the corner of their desk, they could.

Works all the way around, keeps prices low (and justified when they get higher), and creates incentive to buy the iMac, without having to sacrifice a perfectly working LCD when it comes time to upgrade.

psmith2.0
2004-07-03, 13:19
How in the hell do you make ONE machine go from $699 to 1600? :confused:

I read your post three times and it still doesn't seem to be an "improvement" (or easier to understand/figure out) than mine.

An iMac that has a G4 and a G5 in the line? Won't dumb-butt consumers get confused? Hell, I did.

And what in the name of all that is holy makes you think Apple could make a 15" LCD, G4-based machine for $799?!?! :eek:

You've got to stay grounded in SOME kind of reality to make these types of things interesting and plausible. You're about $500 off the mark. Ever known Apple to fling that $500 out the window and do what we THINK they "could do". Not me. I THINK they could make a 20" iBook for $499, but I wouldn't go making bets on it appearing anytime soon.

And way, exactly, does one do with the LCD they remove when they "upgrade"? If it's some sort of proprietary, almost-AIO thing (with no support on its own), what do you do with it when you pull it out? Sounds like you'd STILL have to trash it, just that it won't be in the way.

You don't seem different from mine except you mix chips, kinda confuse with the "is it AIO or not", etc. and have one super-duper computer that manages to cover a $1000 range, from super cheap to mid-range.

I think mine's a tad easier to grasp...and realistic. But, as I say, I am biased, so...

;)

Messiahtosh
2004-07-03, 13:35
Sold as an AIO, used as whatever you want it to be used as.

Screen is DVI.

G4 on the low end model with 15'' screen.

Choice of using a 17'' all the way up to 23'' screen.

G5's in everything but the base model.

The original iMac with a 15'' panel, introduced at $1199, it's been nearly 2.5 years since then, a G4 w/a 15'' LCD is possible at $800.

psmith2.0
2004-07-03, 13:41
Oh, okay. I see now.

Still like mine better ;)

Luca
2004-07-03, 13:42
I like pscates' idea a lot more. No offense Messiahtosh, but it just makes more sense to have separate low end and midrange models, rather than trying to somehow get a single model to straddle such a huge range.

Also, while it's always been appealing to say "Why doesn't Apple just re-release one of their older systems for super cheap?", it never really happens. Apple doesn't like to drag out old technology. The only possible option would be to have the current 15" 1 GHz iMac available for cheap ($799 or $999, depending on the prices and configurations of the new ones) in a little box low down on the online store, just like the PowerMac G4.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-03, 15:10
I just think there has to be a way for one line to cover the 800-1600 dollar spectrum. The original iMac did, why can't the next generation one?

Let's list what we think needs to be in the next gen iMac for it to be as wildly successful as the original.

•Colors

•A photo editing app that does for photo editing what iMovie did for DV editing, while not pissing off Adobe.

•A G5

•$1,000 or preferably less

•Graphics card upgradability

•More standard RAM

•A loveable design

psmith2.0
2004-07-03, 15:42
I just think there has to be a way for one line to cover the 800-1600 dollar spectrum. The original iMac did, why can't the next generation one?

What are you talking about? Wasn't the original iMac $1299? And even the three DV models (350, the five DV fruits and graphite Special Edition) didn't cover that range, did they? I can't remember completely, but I just don't recall this huge swath covered. :confused:

Let's list what we think needs to be in the next gen iMac for it to be as wildly successful as the original.

•Colors HIGHLY debatable. While cute on the iPod mini (considering its purpose and intended audience, makes sense), not sure it works on computers anymore. A distinct feeling of "been there, done that" (even if I did design colored iBooks). I simply don't think Apple, regardless of what we might think, would "go back".

•A photo editing app that does for photo editing what iMovie did for DV editing, while not pissing off Adobe. Not sure where I stand on this. I'd say "iPhoto", but realizing it's pretty elementary and limited. BUT, "elementary and limited" does indeed consist of cropping, red-eye removal, blemish removal and brightness/contrast controls, which I think pretty much covers the consumers out there. Now anyone buying The Mac (my idea above) straddles that line between consumer and pro, most likely. Maybe advanced beyond iPhoto, BUT not likely to shell out nearly $700 for Photoshop. Maybe the solution already exists, in Photoshop Elements. All the stuff iPhoto does, but some more sophisticated type, masking, effect, etc. capabilities. It's $99. Maybe they should look into that. What could Apple do - in particular, ripping off Elements - that ISN'T going to "piss off Adobe"? I don't think Apple needs to go down that road, honestly. They've got iPhoto, and it serves the needs of the beginner/hobbyist/consumer. Anyone needing more than that is probably already looking in Adobe's direction anyway, you know?

•A G5 No argument from me there, if only to placate the geeks and borderline SW types. And if the G4 is indeed petering out at 1.5GHz or so, then may as well put something in it with a future so we're not having this conversation again in another 8-12 months. :)

•$1,000 or preferably less Depends on which route you take. In my scenario, the eMac (now called iMac) fills that void beautifully: 1.25GHz G4, room hard drive, Combo Drive (with SuperDrive option), AirPort, FireWire, USB 2.0, etc. Any "consumer" not served by that (for $799, no less...maybe even cheaper?) is not truly a consumer-level user, and needs to bump up to The Mac or a full-blown G5 tower.

•Graphics card upgradability Would be NICE. Might go a long way toward selling these new things!

•More standard RAM I think 256MB is completely reasonable on the lower end of things. Yeah, maybe the top-end "deluxe" model gets 512MB out of the box. Definitely NOTHING lower than 256 in Apple's line-up.

•A loveable design Yeah, maybe. Depends. I think the eMac (iMac, in my world) covers that. In my scenario, my headless aluminum thing isn't going for "cute" and pre-teen chick appeal. That's the iBook and iMac's job. My idea, The Mac, goes after people like me...and you! I'm a graphics guy, a Photoshop/Illustrator monkey. But I'll be damned if I'm going to lay out $3,000-4,000 on a tower I'll never expand/upgrade, AND a display (I will, however, drop $1500 on a headless G5 thing and get the 17" OR save some more money and get the 20" or 23"). And you, doing video and needing some good G5 horsepower. And those of us who like to spend around $1500 and feel like they're getting a pretty decent kick-ass machine they can be proud of. And, done right, it's going to have its own amazing appeal. Maybe not "loveable", but certainly lusted after and respected and copied by the usual suspects.

Luca
2004-07-03, 16:14
A few things pscates...

What are you talking about? Wasn't the original iMac $1299? And even the three DV models (350, the five DV fruits and graphite Special Edition) didn't cover that range, did they? I can't remember completely, but I just don't recall this huge swath covered. :confused:

Actually, the greatest range covered by iMacs was when they occupied price points of $799, $999, $1299, and $1499. No CRT iMac ever exceeded $1499.

(the 30", due to its video/graphics demands, is not available to The Mac...I'm trying to ground all this in reality, realizing very few are going to stick a $600 graphics card in a $1200 computer. Leave the 30" to the pros/tower guys)

Absolutely right. Not only would having the GeForce 6800 not help one bit (the CPU wouldn't be able to keep up with the video card), but it wouldn't even work in a headless iMac assuming one is made. The GeForce 6800 requires a very robust power supply (Nvidia recommends 480 watts; the G5 has a 650 watt monster) with an extra molex connector and an open PCI slot next to it to accommodate the large GPU cooler.

However, since it is a desktop, and a not-super-cheap one at that, it definitely should have some form of upgradable graphics. No way should it have to work with the latest and greatest video cards, but smaller ones (GeForce FX5200 and FX5600, Radeon 9200 and 9600) should work. Given the growing graphical demands of OS X, I think people who pay $1000-$2000 really should be able to upgrade their graphics and get a bit more life out of their machine.

Back when CRT iMacs were being pumped out by the millions, they ALL had Rage 128s. Every damn one of them (well, other than the really old ones that had Rage Pros). So now, all 25 million CRT iMacs are sucky at OS X. Sure, some of the newer ones are not that bad, but when you compare one side by side with an iBook of similar specs but with a Radeon graphics card, you can really tell the difference. However, when CRT iMacs were being made, OS 9 was the norm, and I don't think even Apple realized just how much OS X would be relying on the graphics card to run well. So upgradable graphics were for gamers, and no one else. Things have changed a lot since then and I think it would be a good idea to provide a means of upgrading graphics. At the very least, they should supply all Macs with video cards new enough to be fully supported for all new features in Tiger. So by the time Tiger comes out, there will be no more Radeon 9200s or GeForce 4MXs.

Simon MTL
2004-07-03, 16:16
Please be reminded of this very important piece of information, and then remember me once the dust has fallen:

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2002/12/30.15.shtml

My take on the new iMac:
- 802.11g built-in (so we wouldn't think twice $$ about buying an Airport Express)
- G5, probably low speed (1.6 Ghz)
- "unacceptable" gfx card (I don't really care personnally, as long as I can edit iMovies ;)
- AIO with moveable LCD (20" and 23"(??)), pleasant shape (can they beat a half dome???) with "mood" variance for the colored dome. Yes, I still believe in this mythical iMac! :)
- They can't make a new iMac with less than what we're accustomed to! So no ergonomic LCD (moveable arm) would be a step backwards.
- Std ports and wireless mouse / keyboard or some revolutionary accessory to guide our actions on-screen.
- 8X DVD-R, new Pro-Speakers (also Mood-changing? :lol: )

Maybe the dome will go away, or will be bigger (so they can have a square motherboard instead of an expensive round one)

They made a comeback with colored iPods, and look at the response! Remember that fashion is cyclical, and it should make a comeback - the iPod Mini is a good market study for what consumers long for. The new iMac will probably follow suit.

I agree with a previous poster that a new take on the iMac is imminent: the hub of your digital lifestyle is over with; M$ is pushing the computer in the living room nowadays (Media Center) so will Apple follow or revolutionize? The new version of AppleWorks was supposedly coming, so I'm sure it will be bundled as the "complete digital and office lifestyle" solution.

-Simon from Montréal

bborofka
2004-07-03, 18:04
I agree with a previous poster that a new take on the iMac is imminent: the hub of your digital lifestyle is over with; M$ is pushing the computer in the living room nowadays (Media Center) so will Apple follow or revolutionize?

Digital lifestyle over? LOL! It's just getting started, what are you thinking? MS has been trying to push the PC into the living room for years, and it just hasn't caught on. People don't want to use their PCs on TVs, Jobs said this years ago and its true.

Apple's got a big hole to fill the the next iMac. I know they like to think outside the box, but I really think they just need to get back to basics and give people what they want, or risk losing more and more marketshare.

A slimmed-down PowerMac is the only way to go. Here's why.

The original iMac was a huge hit. Why? It was essentially a PowerMac for a low price and bundled monitor. I think that statement right there should hold as the template for the next iMac. Look at the original iMac:

233MHz G3
32MB RAM
ATI Rage II
Ethernet, modem, USB, CD-ROM
15" CRT
$1299

Those specs were nearly identical as the beige PowerMac G3 back then, sans USB and 15". The only benefit for buying a PowerMac ($1999+) would be lots more flexibility and expandability. So that's why the iMac was such a huge hit. It was affordable, simple, and powerful. Those three things played a bigger part of the iMac's success than colors, I think. It might have attracted a few more customers, but when it comes down to it: people buy computers to get work done and want to get the most bang for the buck. Computers are tools, remember. Not toys. I believe most people liked the original iMac for its price/performance ratio.

Enter 2002, the G4 iMac is released. It's a lot more costly than previous iMacs and doesn't have the performance of the PowerMac. It goes 13 months before getting an upgrade (how pathetic), and it's been almost a year since its last update. The G4 iMac has been a failure: it has the worse of both worlds. The high price of the PowerMac and the no-expandability of the eMac. No wonder it doesn't sell.

Here's what I think Apple should do. Give us a PowerMac G5 Express. Imagine a G5 tower in about half the size, more of a cube shape. No free drive bays, but an AGP slot w/ video card and free PCI slot. It would contain the specs of the baseline PowerMac (1 CPU) for $1199. This would drop the AIO design which I believe so many people want. LCDs are bigger, nicer, and more expensive than the CRTs in the old iMacs. People want to keep them when they're iMac is ready to be replaced. It's not practical to attach it to the CPU anymore... times have changed.

I really hope Apple goes this route with the next iMac. Colors and cuteness isn't going to bring Apple out of the hole they are in with their desktop lineup. Good specs, low prices, and flexibility are.

Simon MTL
2004-07-03, 18:52
Digital lifestyle over? LOL! It's just getting started, what are you thinking?.

Of course I wasn't thinking! ;) I was talking about the "Hub of your digital lifestyle" slogan which needs an upgrade, basically...

It seems there are two camps here: the "I loved the Cube and wish it was back", and the "Die-hard Macintosh AIO" gangs.

Since Apple mentions that they are coming out with the new generation iMac (and not Cube), the former group can lay to rest their hopes about a rehashed headless machine since Apple is talking about their AIO flagship model.

Maybe one day Apple will come back with a Cube; I don't know the reason for its dismissal (poor sales?) but today we are talking about an AIO unit.

So let's talk about it! :smokey:

Barracuda
2004-07-03, 19:59
It's conceivable that the delay in introducing new iMacs may not miss the educational or back to school buying system entirely...who knows...maybe when the new iMac is announced, there will also be an announcement of a HUGE educational order to kick off the new iMac introduction? Only Time ;)

propellerhead
2004-07-03, 23:38
In regards to GPU and VRAM amount...I really wish Apple included a $50 to $75 option on their entire line to double the VRAM like they offer on the Powerbooks.

I'd buy an eMac right now if that were the case.

oldmacfan
2004-07-04, 00:56
So now, all 25 million CRT iMacs are sucky at OS X.

Really, I love OS X on my Rev C iMac, OS X was like the rebirth of my machine. I will be upgrading to Panther in the Fall. Just put Jaguar on it a month ago cause my wife wanted Safari. Thank God I did, now she leaves my PB alone.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-04, 01:44
Ok, pscates, I concede to you. You are right, but I still want colors! ;)

Messiahtosh
2004-07-04, 02:31
http://www.applele.com/img/picture_b_himac_r06a.jpg

Would something such as that fit the bill?

pscates, I would love it (I think we all would) if you could use your amazing talent and imagination to come up with a design of the next iMac, complete with Iveization! ;) I know you can do it man, it'd be too cool to see! :)

psmith2.0
2004-07-04, 13:28
I think that HiMac design above is pretty nice, for an AIO concept. Would love to see it in glossy white...or aluminum, even.

That guy is amazing.

I've never really thought about, design-wise, a headless iMac (ahem, The Mac). Kinda screwed around with some white glossy Cube rip-offs.

But if I went by my plan I laid out a few posts up, no I haven't really considered the look/style of an aluminum, G5-based headless iMac (hereafter referred to as The Mac).

Don't want a tower. Pizza box? Eh. Would hape to rip-off the Cube (been there, done that). Seen those Canon i350 inkjets? Kinda like a loaf of bread: wide, square (an elongated cube shape). Never seen something like that. I did a "speed bump" design that thegelding mocked relentlessly... :D

I wish they'd announce this thing, say, this WEEK...just so we'd know, could plan, etc. They're acting like they somehow can't/won't announce a product until the very day it's ready to ship, when we all know damn well they've spent the past four years unveiling stuff and then having us wait 1-4 months before it's truly on the street.

What's so different about this iMac? Hell, if Jobs HAD announced it at WWDC, they probably STILL would've said "announcing today, shipping in September" anyway.

Dave Hagan
2004-07-05, 09:32
Please be reminded of this very important piece of information, and then remember me once the dust has fallen:

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2002/12/30.15.shtmlI think it was pretty obvious that this patent referred to the backlit keyboard on the 17-inch PowerBook.

Dave Hagan
2004-07-05, 09:34
What's so different about this iMac? Hell, if Jobs HAD announced it at WWDC, they probably STILL would've said "announcing today, shipping in September" anyway.Yeah and let's just hope when it is announced in September it isn't one of those deals where you have to wait to get it for months on end. I know Apple said September it would be delivered but they cannot always be trusted here.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-05, 17:36
pscates, here's a Himac done in Aluminum!

http://www.applele.com/img/picture_b_himac_r08a.jpg

Barto
2004-07-06, 01:57
Personally I like the colour ones better: cleaner design, and an inbuilt keyboard is like so 1970s.

Luca
2004-07-06, 02:01
Yeah, the built in keyboard (laptop style) is like that Sony desktop... all the disadvantages of a desktop combined with the disadvantages of a laptop as well. But Apple won't make a kludge like that no matter what they do.

oldmacfan
2004-07-06, 11:07
I think it was pretty obvious that this patent referred to the backlit keyboard on the 17-inch PowerBook.

No, that patent goes way beyond backlit key boards.

Messiahtosh
2004-07-06, 11:20
On a side note, what is the best application for creating these 3D mockups? Adobe Illustrator? Do you use a pen input of some kind to get an outline? I dont know how it works, trying to figure that out. haha

psmith2.0
2004-07-06, 12:42
Well I use Illustrator, but I'm an idiot...don't do ANYTHING based on that criteria. :D

I do everything in Illustrator. Or die trying... :p

Illustrator isn't 3D, although the new CS version has an update Dimensions component to it for doing some simple 3D extrusions, rotations, surfacing, etc. Not a full-tilt 3D app by any stretch, but enough to crank out nonsense like this (a shout-out to thegelding ;) ) (http://homepage.mac.com/pscates/mockups/imacg5.jpg) or this (http://homepage.mac.com/pscates/mockups/ibook3D.jpg). Both of those done completely in Illustrator CS, with surprisingly little heavy-lifting.

I was impressed at the semi-realistic results. AND, it stays "live", so I can easily change surface colors, element placement, view/rotation, lighting, etc. on the fly.

Illustrator CS ROCKS.

But true, serious 3D people who really know what they're doing use other, better and dedicated 3D apps. Not sure of the names of them though. I wouldn't recommend Illustrator as your sole 3D program, although it lets you get some simple results if you mess with it. I WOULD recommend Illustrator as a layout, straight-on illustration program.

BTW, those two things above are the only mockups I've used that 3D feature on. The rest are drawn straight in Illustrator,as is...although I'd love to go back and build a few in 3D so I can spin them around and show from all sides!

Messiahtosh
2004-07-06, 13:58
Thanks Paul, I'll pick up that app as soon as I finish mastering Dreamweaver. ;)

One more off topic and quick question. Is freehand MX the same sort of app as Illustrator?

Messiahtosh
2004-07-07, 14:10
Check out www.macsimumperspective.com tomorrow to see what speculation Dennis Sellers has about the upcoming iMac.

mortigitempo
2004-07-23, 08:15
Well I use Illustrator, but I'm an idiot...don't do ANYTHING based on that criteria. :D

I do everything in Illustrator. Or die trying... :p

Illustrator isn't 3D, although the new CS version has an update Dimensions component to it for doing some simple 3D extrusions, rotations, surfacing, etc. Not a full-tilt 3D app by any stretch, but enough to crank out nonsense like this (a shout-out to thegelding ;) ) (http://homepage.mac.com/pscates/mockups/imacg5.jpg) or this (http://homepage.mac.com/pscates/mockups/ibook3D.jpg). Both of those done completely in Illustrator CS, with surprisingly little heavy-lifting.

I was impressed at the semi-realistic results. AND, it stays "live", so I can easily change surface colors, element placement, view/rotation, lighting, etc. on the fly.

Illustrator CS ROCKS.

But true, serious 3D people who really know what they're doing use other, better and dedicated 3D apps. Not sure of the names of them though. I wouldn't recommend Illustrator as your sole 3D program, although it lets you get some simple results if you mess with it. I WOULD recommend Illustrator as a layout, straight-on illustration program.

BTW, those two things above are the only mockups I've used that 3D feature on. The rest are drawn straight in Illustrator,as is...although I'd love to go back and build a few in 3D so I can spin them around and show from all sides!

I like amapi (http://www.eovia.com/home.jsp) for 3D on the mac

Illustrator CS does indeed rock - the 3d stuff is suprisingly useful, especially for 3d logos, extruded text and so on

Xaqtly
2004-07-23, 11:31
Yeah, Messiahtosh, FreeHand MX is a direct competitor to Illustrator. I confess I've been more of a FreeHand guy than an Illustrator guy, ever since FreeHand came out (anybody remember Aldus?).

Barto
2004-07-24, 03:33
I've been thinking about the iMac and decided to create a little mockup in Photoshop. Perhaps if CRTs are truely dead, Apple will introduce an iMac to replace the current iMac/eMac combination which is able to work across that range of pricing and use. Tough enough for schools, a range of CPUs (G4s and G5s), beautiful enough for home users and creative pros. It might look a bit like this:

http://homepage.mac.com/barto_act/linkage/imac2.jpg

DMBand0026
2004-07-24, 03:49
Not a bad mockup...but I don't like the design. Way too industrial looking, it's not friendly and cool like the iMac should be. It could be a pro machine or a sub pro one (can you say G5 mini tower?) but not an iMac.

johnq
2004-07-24, 06:15
Kinda useless to leave the rackmount screws on it though, eh?

psmith2.0
2004-07-24, 06:33
They're AM/FM radio dials. :p

And yes, Xaqtly, I remember Aldus. The first vector illustration app I ever touched was Aldus Freehand 3.0, back in 1993 or so, on a Mac II-something or other (ci, fx, etc.?).

I remember thinking "well this is kinda cool..." because all I'd messed with until then were pixel-based things, like Photoshop 2.0 (pre-layers!).

It's kinda what I learned on, while I was going to school some. I was the only person who seemed to get a firm handle on the pen tool, so people would always gather behind me and say "draw a leaf" or "make a lightning bolt".

A year later, I bought Illustrator 5.0 when I bought my first Mac, a Quadra 610. Damn, 10 years...

:eek:

Nico_from_Paris
2004-07-24, 06:49
I have pre-registered to attend Paris expo keynote. Be sure I will post here right back from the show, since it is one. Be patient my friends. As I am, waiting to see if it is worth waiting for the new G5 iMac or buy a PowerMac G5 now. Very tempting every day to jump on the tower G5

be wild, eat your jelly
devo lives

Nico

Barto
2004-07-24, 06:54
Ok. Jelly I will eat! (or not)

johnq, I cbf'd cloning the screws out of the image. Plus they look good. Volume control / Brightness control?

Merovingian
2004-07-24, 06:58
pscates, here's a Himac done in Aluminum!

http://www.applele.com/img/picture_b_himac_r08a.jpg

Yay! I can finally post! :)

That design's not too bad, but there's too many things on the base that look like they fold out — a keyboard, perhaps?

The designs wouldn't really work, in my opinion... m. :\

johnq
2004-07-24, 07:40
Ok. Jelly I will eat! (or not)

johnq, I cbf'd cloning the screws out of the image. Plus they look good. Volume control / Brightness control?

LOL, yeah, I had flashbacks to my 1986 tape/radio boom box that had those shiny silver buttons for volume and "tone"... :D

Spinnetti
2004-07-27, 10:59
from apple.com

imac
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/576/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/step1bullet_imac_0701.gif

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70906/wo/Bx6VPsuDKMad2Ywb1sGFyCPwVoJ/0.0.7.1.0.6.21.1.2.1.1.0.0.1.0

I've been around since the APPLE ][ days, and it never ceases to amaze my how Apple can so consistantly miss its product forcasts and shpping dates. I bet they have lost BILLIONS in sales due to this over the years. Have they ever had enough product at the right time?

Luca
2004-07-27, 11:07
Billions in sales? Millions, perhaps. Billions, no f*ckin' way.

Although I am also pretty amazed at how whenever a BIG new product announcement happens, they almost always have orders backlogged for months. Months, I tell ya. And this happens whether they pre-announce the product (for example, the G5, or original 17" PowerBook) or not (late 2003 AlBooks).

Messiahtosh
2004-07-29, 09:39
About a month to go until the new iMac is announced and still no leaks. :confused:

DMBand0026
2004-07-29, 09:52
Historically, when Apple wants to keep a secret bad enough, they do.

psmith2.0
2004-07-29, 10:01
...yeah, up until 24-48 hours prior to the unveiling. Helloooo? Can you say workerbee, Time Canada and Newsweek?

Not to mention last year's premature specifying Apple web monkey. Oh, and ATi and Toshiba flapping their jaws also...

:D ;)

All the above - combined with more-accurate-than-not reporting and information by ThinkSecret and AppleInsider - translate into "Apple can't keep a secret worth a shit".

I'm trying to honestly think the last time I was truly taken by surprise by a new Apple product or announcement. AirPort Express, I guess. Before that? The iBook G4. Before that? A looooong time!

TheToe
2004-08-09, 15:41
Just a random guess...

I predict that the new iMac will feature an iPod dock, and perhaps even come with an iPod as part of the basic package (maybe one model would come without iPod). Anyone can walk up up to any iMac, plug in their iPod, and start working on their computer. I would guess that it would also have a built-in hard drive for the System, but the Users folder would be on the iPod.

There's no question that Apple's offerings are moving in this direction. Tiger Server will mature the concept of network-based Home folders. But why not leverage the powerful marketing of the iPod and merge it into the iMac?

Afterall, the Gen4 iPod has new, undocumented features, right?

:smokey:

Messiahtosh
2004-08-09, 15:50
People have speculated about an iPod dock being designed directly into the iMac or bundled with it, for months. Check over at the future hardware section that the OTHER forums, I posted the exact same thing in a thread titled "iMac Future," almost 6 months ago?

TheToe
2004-08-09, 16:00
People have speculated about an iPod dock being designed directly into the iMac or bundled with it, for months. Check over at the future hardware section that the OTHER forums, I posted the exact same thing in a thread titled "iMac Future," almost 6 months ago?Cool. Guess I haven't been following those fora.

So... it must be true, eh?

Barto
2004-08-09, 18:33
DorsalM (the lying bastard) posted two or three years ago that Apple would integrate an iPod dock into the iMac. So yeah, the concept is not new.

DaveGee
2004-08-09, 18:38
DorsalM (the lying bastard) posted two or three years ago that Apple would integrate an iPod dock into the iMac. So yeah, the concept is not new.

Ah yes, Dorsal was talented... can't say more than that... :lol: