PDA

View Full Version : Searching for firewire HD case in UK

beardedmacuser
2005-06-20, 05:10
Hi guys

I'm looking for an external firewire (FW400) hard drive case that will take 3.5 inch drives (and will work with my Mac, obviously). Does anyone here in the UK know of a Mac-friendly source for this (in London or on the web)?

Thanks for your help!

awilso
2005-06-20, 09:18
Hi,

Yes I got one last year from Cancom, but I know mac warehouse also have them, I found them a bit difficult to shoe horn the drive into, but it went in eventually and works really well. Just give the guys on the sales line a call and tell them what you are looking for. I think it was quite pricey and I had to ask whether it came with a drive already in it, but I paid because I needed to put my old powerbook HD in it.

Hope this helps

beardedmacuser
2005-06-20, 09:32
Thanks for the reply, and I'll take a look at Cancom and Mac Warehouse. But just thought I'd reiterate that I'm after a 3.5 inch enclosure for a desktop hard drive rather than one for a laptop hard drive.

mattf
2005-06-20, 09:47
You had to shoe-horn a Powerbook HD into a 3.5" case? Either you were doing something badly wrong or you're thinking of a 2.5" case (I have one of these and it can sometimes to be a struggle to fit some drives into it. From memory 2.5" drives tend to come in two thicknesses - 9mm and 12mm; It's the 12mm ones (obviously) that I can have a problem with).

In answer to the original poster, try SVP communications. They're pretty cheap and thoroughly reliable. See here (http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/drivecases.html) Unfortunately, these are only 5.25" caddies, which you can fit 3.5" drives into. Still £20 seems reasonable to me.

If they don't suit, a colleague of mine recently bought a pair of 3.5" caddies from somebody on ebay.co.uk. I think he paid in the region of £25 - £30 each.

deathdisco
2005-06-21, 08:32
SpecialTech (http://www.specialtech.co.uk) - never yet got round to ordering anything from them but they were one of the few sites I found while looking for FW enclosures.

awilso
2005-06-22, 03:55
Thanks for the reply, and I'll take a look at Cancom and Mac Warehouse. But just thought I'd reiterate that I'm after a 3.5 inch enclosure for a desktop hard drive rather than one for a laptop hard drive.

Sorry Dude wasn't really thinking - good luck with the 3.4"