PDA

View Full Version : G4 Powerbook Updates or Price Drops?

blissed
2004-07-02, 13:40
So if G5 Powerbooks are not coming out til next year like Apple says, when will we see some Updates or Price Drops on the current models? They have been out for a while now... Maybe the Paris Expo? :eek:

Maybe Apple is just saying this so people will buy up the Powerbooks out there but MacRumors.com has a Buyer's Guide with a pretty solid product cycle... it looks like by Novemeber there should be a new model released of some sort.

Luca
2004-07-02, 13:48
Check your calendar... they have NOT been out for very long at all. April 19th... that was a bit over two months ago.

However, that doesn't mean we can't start speculating on what the next PowerBooks will have! I'm thinking they'll get the new Motorola PPC 7448, which will be faster than the current 7447 with more L2 cache. That should hold it over for another revision or maybe two.

Also, this belongs in the Speculation forum. Moving now.

shylock
2004-07-02, 18:04
Here's to hoping that Apple finds a way to shrink the liquid cooling system and put some G5s in the Powerbook line.

I think good 'ole Jobs has said it wouldn't happen, but we can wish, right?

If not a G5 them a dedicated mobile chip like the Pentium Mobile that Intel supplies to the "other" manufacturers. It's designed for the portables to help maintain a longer battery life and reduce heat, which are two common complaints about the current Powerbook line.

Ah, it's so much fun to speculate on what Jobs and Co. have planned over there on the left coast.

shylock

alcimedes
2004-07-02, 19:25
actually, i'm hoping that with the redesign of the iMac to include a G5 (i'm assuming) that they'll have already started trying to deal with cramming a G5 into a small space and handling the heat. what i'm more worried about is their ability to find a battery that doesn't weigh too much and will give decent battery life.

thequicksilver
2004-07-03, 07:17
Can't see Powerbooks being updated until MWSF 05 myself. They've been on an a seven to nine month cycle with the new aluminium design (Jan 03, Sep 03, Apr 04) and it's conceivable that if the next revision will see the G5, it'll be announced at the keynote. Although everyone talks about Apple's announcements not all coming at keynotes these days, nearly all of the major hardware launches are still announced by Jobs at these events - all three new Powerbook designs, the Powermac, the iMac G4 form factor, the original white iBooks, even the iPod and iSight. We'll see as time goes on of course, but it would appear that Powerbooks will be saved until 05 from where I'm sitting.

Then again, what do I know?

blissed
2004-07-05, 19:43
Yeh, that sounds about right. They'd wanna deplete their stockpile of G4s first, though they've released things a bit off schedule with the conferences before or announced things way before the conferences and released the products way after.

Any chance the new lcd displays that just were released would find their way into the Powerbook/iMac line? I read recently that the last update of the operating system made the fonts look a bit crisper and the screen a bit bluer but haven't seen anything else about it.

Also I'm still holding out for 14inch Powerbooks. It was MacWorld's number one complaint when they reviewed the new Powerbooks. (*cough* PCs offer them.)

I can't wait for a price drop. I'm hoping in August.

Dave Hagan
2004-07-05, 19:47
I would say no PowerBook G5s earlier than MWSF 05, as others have also said.

psmith2.0
2004-07-05, 20:00
Yeah, I really don't think we're going to see a G5-based PowerBook at all in 2004.

Already thinking ahead to my next purchase a year or two from now (depending on money, what actually comes out and if I consider it worthwhile, etc.) and I think, taking what I know about myself, how I work, how I travel, etc. into account, here's what I think my next set-up will entail:

- I'll actually probably go SMALLER on my next PowerBook, and get the 12" I figure by the time that rolls around, they'll have figured out a way to put a G5 into one, maybe even redesigning the PowerBooks slightly in some way?

- 20" Cinema Display, for use while at home.

I LOVE my 15", but it do find it a bit clumsy and unwieldy on the road, carrying, unpacking it, etc.

What I'd love is for the 12" to get a 128MB graphics option. I'd get that, the 5400rpm hard drive, etc. and use it for travel, surfing, lounging on the couch or front porch, etc. but, when doing "serious" freelance work or whatever, hook it to that 20".

I'd love for a future 12" to somehow have all the stuff my 15" does (lighted keyboard mainly, over everything) and packing about a 1.8GHz G5. It would already have Bluetooth, AirPort, etc. A roomy 80GB hard drive too is good for me and what I do.

Will most likely go smaller next time around, and compensate with a matching Cinema Display for serious work. Best of both worlds: ultimate portability with ultimate screen real estate when at home.

Dave Hagan
2004-07-05, 20:44
Paul,

I think another thing we have to hope comes with a PowerBook G5 is the ability to easily upgrade it. Right now, other than memory, there aren't any other CIPs (Apple speak for "customer installable parts") in the aluminum models. This sucks if you want to upgrade your hard drive, for example, to the 7,200 RPM model. You can upgrade your HD, but it will void your warranty and you have to dissect your PowerBook. I was talking to an Apple tech and he said replacing parts in the aluminum PBs sucks major ass.

Your 12-inch PB mated to a 20-inch CD sounds appealing after what I have been through. I am beginning to think that I should be getting the least expensive PB. I don't know if you'll remember the major fiasco I had with the first 15-inch aluminum models back in October. I ended up saying "screw it" and didn't want it anymore it was so messed up. Apple gave me my money back because it was such a disaster. Well, I got a 17-inch PowerBook towards the end of April, and it too has been nothing but problems...dark areas, stains coming from the top of the display, massively bent casing...it's been a horror show. It will be coming back from its third repair this week. I haven't really used it yet. :no: What's wrong with Apple's reliability, or is it me? I hope they change when the PowerBook G5 comes out!

preciousink
2004-07-05, 21:44
Dave, hate to hear that about your 17"er. I've had mine for a year and it looks/ works good as new. (Better actually because of Panther vs. Jaguar!) Granted, I baby it, clean it regularly with that MacCleaner junk (whatever it's called), and use a Tumi bag to take it anywhere. I've logged 30K miles with it, written and sold two scripts, and edited three dozen projects. That said, I HAVE installed my OS seven times (before I realized I had a bad stick of additional memory).

Not being a smartalec, but you might pray before you purchase next go-round. God's always listening and willing to help in all decisions I find.:)

The new G5 Powerbook will be an instant purchase. I agree that making them out of the G5 PowerMac material would be EVEN BETTER. I just hope they will connect & drive a new 30" Display!!

blissed
2004-07-06, 11:38
Well They say they've got it. G5 chips ready to go...

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1616985,00.asp

so what's the hold up now? Too many G4 Powerbooks to sell? I expect they announce at Paris Expo... A double whammy... G5 iMacs and Powerbooks...

Dave Hagan
2004-07-06, 18:34
Dave, hate to hear that about your 17"er. I've had mine for a year and it looks/ works good as new. (Better actually because of Panther vs. Jaguar!) Granted, I baby it, clean it regularly with that MacCleaner junk (whatever it's called), and use a Tumi bag to take it anywhere. I've logged 30K miles with it, written and sold two scripts, and edited three dozen projects.Well my 17-in PB came back today. I'm curious how you open your display? Do you push the button and it opens, or you have to press downward as your pushing the button to open the display? Does it ever catch and not open when you push the button?

DrGruv
2004-07-06, 18:55
would be nice to see $200 to $300 come off the price!

a little sweeter spot to get more market share :)

-mike

psmith2.0
2004-07-06, 18:55
I've just always pushed the button on mine, and it pops up about a quarter-inch or so (maybe half-inch?). Never had a problem with the latch, even back last fall when it was the popular problem going 'round. :)

Mero
2004-07-06, 22:55
Also I'm still holding out for 14inch Powerbooks. It was MacWorld's number one complaint when they reviewed the new Powerbooks. (*cough* PCs offer them.)

Seriously, a 1" difference is too much for you? Apple makes 15" Powerbook...

MacWorld actually "complained" about that? And just because "PCs" offer them.... The ratio of "PC" companies to "Mac" companies is 10,000 to 1. Apple makes the products they feel are appropriate. PCs also offer "Windows", how unfortunate.

blissed
2004-07-07, 01:56
uh yes. i like the look of the 14inch ibook better than the 15inch. don't like the power button in the speaker grill. just don't like the look and feel of it. call me crazy...

Luca
2004-07-07, 13:45
You're crazy. :p

Most people here hate the 14" iBook. In fact, in almost every discussion, people talk about how ugly the 14" iBook is compared to the 12" iBook, and how the 15" PowerBook is sleek and good looking.

I don't understand how anyone could possibly like the 14" iBook more than the amazing 15" PowerBook. Who cares where the power button is? Have you seen where the speakers are on the 14" iBook? There's room to either side of the keyboard but they still put them near the screen. Leaves a big, unbroken, ugly white space all around the keyboard. And don't count on a PowerBook ever getting a 14" screen. It just doesn't make any sense to do so.

Frank777
2004-07-07, 13:54
Powerbooks may not get an update for awhile, but if Apple is smart they'll rev the iBooks ASAP, add a Superdrive to the 12" or announce a promotion with Office or something.

I know they were rev'd recently, but hear me out. Apple now knows they're going to miss the Back to School season with the iMac. That's huge.

They have to fight back the PC campus onslaught with something, and the iBook's the only thing in the arsenal.

blissed
2004-07-16, 11:54
If they don't drop prices by the Paris Expo I'm going to strip a gear. :mad: :devil: :cool: :eek: :lol: :confused: ;)

Robo
2004-07-16, 13:54
I just hope that, when we do see the PBG5's, they keep the 12" model around. It's the perfect size for a notebook, I think, and it'd suck if they had trouble getting a G5 and all necessary cooling/power stuff into a 12" notebook, and told everybody who wants a ultraportable Mac to buy the 12" iBook.

But it's taken them so long to get the PBG5 out, I would hope that they'd jump that hurdle by MWSF...

Ryan
2004-07-16, 19:04
But it's taken them so long to get the PBG5 out, I would hope that they'd jump that hurdle by MWSF...

I'd rather see Apple take this long and put a G5 in all three Powerbooks, than rush the job and put it only in the 15 and 17, leaving the 12 the odd man out, and with only a few features making it worth choosing over the iBook.

thegelding
2004-07-22, 11:37
macmall is having a sale on PB and on the apple 17" monitor....

updates coming?

more than just iMacs aug 31st?

g

blissed
2004-07-22, 11:41
um like when's the sale supposed to happen?

seanm
2004-07-22, 17:18
Macmall is having a sale but it's not on the current line of Powerbooks. It's on the old models. This offers no indication that the current Powerbook is going to have a price reduction or that a new model is coming out. Also, without introducing a G5 Powerbook, it makes little sense to introduce a new model. As far as I can remember, the first G5 processor clocked in at 1.6GHz and the G4 now tops out at 1.5GHz. There isn't really much room for them to expand or introduce new features unless it is the G5 which won't be for a while due to the heat produced by the chip. I think that before the G5 Powerbook comes out, Apple is going to try and straighten out production of the G5 desktops and satisfy the demand there first. It doesn't make sense to introduce a product that you can't supply.

blissed
2004-07-22, 18:18
uuummmm those have been on "sale" ever since the rev c models came out. It doesn't really seem like that great of a price break considering they don't have airport cards, you'd probably want to get a 60gig harddrive, etc. and by then you might as well get a rev c.

not saying that's a bad thing, but it'd be nice for a price drop on rev c...

blissed
2004-07-28, 23:03
doh....

from appleinsider.com July 27, 2004

ATI introduces new PowerBook bound graphics card

Earlier today, ATI Technologies announced the Mobility Radeon 9800, based on its award-winning RADEON X800. According to ATI, the AGP-based Mobility Radeon 9800 comes equipped with eight pixel pipelines and a 256-bit wide memory interface.

A Macintosh version of the Mobility Radeon 9800 is widely rumored for inclusion in a forthcoming PowerBook revision, which sources say will most likely include "PowerPC G4 extended" microprocessors running at speeds of up to 2 GHz. The chips, from Motorola, have yet to be tagged with an official name, sources added.

There also appears to be some internal optimism that the computer company will be able to deploy a G5 PowerBook before a G4 revision is warranted. However, this seems increasingly unlikely given IBM's continuous G5 manufacturing problems.

can you say " Paris Expo?" :lol:

Mac+
2004-07-28, 23:50
I'd be very interested to see some PB updates at the Paris Expo - as it is almost time to upgrade my machine so I can run some decent DAW apps - but I'm not holding my breath! ;)

Robo
2004-07-29, 03:57
"PowerPC G4 extended..."

WTF?

Could that be some sort of G4m or G4+ thing to tide us over until the PBG5 hits?

But...isn't Macworld 2005 a likely unveiling? Why bother?

Could it be for something new?

Mac tablet? *drools*

G5 or no, I'd buy a Mac tablet if they made one. Heck, I'd probably buy it if it had a G3 (but that'd be dumb).

Yeah, Tablet PCs have failed, but that doesn't mean Apple shouldn't try one. Yeah, Apple has 2.8% market share compared to Window's 90%+, but look at Apple's 2.8%.

Who do you think a lot of them are?

Creative professionals. Artists. Graphics designers.

People who would love a Tablet PC.

Look at it this way - Wacom makes a LCD display/graphics table, called the Cintiq. Last I heard, the smallest one cost like $1,800.

What about a G4 Mac Tablet for around $2000?

Yeah, I think there's a market, considering you'd be basically buying a portable Cintiq and getting, oh, a computer free.

I know Apple won't make a Mac Tablet, but I think all of you saying it's an awful idea should stop. Lots of creative professionals use Macs, and they cart around a PB and a graphics tablet. I don't think a Mac Tablet would be that bad of an idea - especially if Apple is having trouble getting the G5 to fit in a 12" notebook.

But that's just what I would like to see, I wouldn't even call it a theory, since it's not going to happen. But what do you think the "PowerPC G4 extended" thing is about?

Robo
2004-07-29, 03:59
Wow...that was looong...I ramble...sorry