PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to buy Mac-specific RAM for a PB?

oli84
2005-06-30, 00:10
I always was under the impression that any PC2700 SODIMM RAM would work with the powerbooks, but looking at the Crucial website, it sells Mac-specific RAM for about $200.. twice as much as normal RAM... is there any truth to that? can someone recommend some good places to buy a 1gb RAM stick for a 12" PB??

Yontsey
2005-06-30, 00:15
i just got kingmax from newegg.com, i to got a 1 gig stick for like around 110 with shipping, i ordered it sunday and got it today so it worked out really well shipping-wise. i put it in today and it recognized it right away so i assume i dont have a problem with it.

DMBand0026
2005-06-30, 01:08
To make a long story short, no, you do not have to use Mac specific ram, you only have to use ram that is compatible with your computer.

That said, OS X is very picky about the type of ram you use, so choosing wisely and from a reputable source like Crucial isn't a bad idea. Yes, you pay more for it from Crucial, but it's guaranteed to work and it's the best stuff out there. My computer is too important to trust to crap ram, so I pay more and I use Crucial, and to me it's worth every penny.

Franz Josef
2005-06-30, 16:12
Yes, you pay more for it from Crucial, but it's guaranteed to work and it's the best stuff out there.

Now if you want to pay more, you could always buy Apple RAM ......
:lol:

More seriously oli84, Crucial is much loved 'round these parts because it's much cheaper than Apple RAM but has nonetheless a great rep. Bad RAM can cause kernal panic (ie a crash) and because we don't often see our Macs crash, we don't like to see low quality RAM used. Moral is, stick to a good supplier.