PDA

View Full Version : Stopgap till 5gen ipod

9thunknownman
2005-06-30, 06:25
I've been waiting for the next generation of Ipods to come around for awhile having expected them to come out during the summer. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be happening.

Still, I need a mp3 player to transfer all my music onto in preperation for my upcoming move to college.

What would be a good bargain choice for an mp3 player that I could use until the next line of pods come out?

Bryson
2005-06-30, 06:54
Dare I say...an iPod?

Really, why buy a piece of shit Mp3 player when the current iPods are the mutts nuts anyway.? There will always be something better round the corner. Why suffer now?

_Ω_
2005-06-30, 07:03
the mutts nuts

:lol: :lol: :lol:

morningstarrising
2005-06-30, 11:37
These ARE the 5gen ipod. That is what third part add-on makers will call them. to differnated between Gen4 and Gen3

propellerhead
2005-06-30, 12:13
I've been waiting for the next generation of Ipods to come around for awhile having expected them to come out during the summer. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be happening.

What do the current iPods lack that is making you hold off from buying one?

Franz Josef
2005-06-30, 16:15
Why suffer now?

This is the true first rule of technology, 9thunknownman. Buy an iPod. You'll just love it. :D .

WBG4
2005-06-30, 16:22
Well new ones just came out tuesday so i'd say buy a new one

Meltedbutter421
2005-06-30, 16:30
These ARE the 5gen ipod. That is what third part add-on makers will call them. to differnated between Gen4 and Gen3
Uhhhhhh no youre completley wrong... these are 4th gen iPods with color screens. If you havent realized, each gen changes styles... the 5th gen will be completley different from the ones they have now...
:grumble: I dont meen to be rude but how stupid can you be!!! ddamn
I NEED TO VENT FROM THIS STUPIDITY
alsdjf;klashdfl;kasjdlfkasl;dkjfhas;lkdl;fkasdjfl; kasdjfkl; jsdklfjsad klnvjasdkl;fjasei vlcjlrksdjaf;kjlashdf;lk ag;lakj sal;d kj;ls jkd;klj adsf f;lsdakjf adl;fkja;lesksdjklfhasdlkjfhs;lakdjflk;asjdf;klasd g
Im done

DMBand0026
2005-06-30, 16:49
Uhhhhhh no youre completley wrong... these are 4th gen iPods with color screens. If you havent realized, each gen changes styles... the 5th gen will be completley different from the ones they have now...
:grumble: I dont meen to be rude but how stupid can you be!!! ddamn
I NEED TO VENT FROM THIS STUPIDITY
alsdjf;klashdfl;kasjdlfkasl;dkjfhas;lkdl;fkasdjfl; kasdjfkl; jsdklfjsad klnvjasdkl;fjasei vlcjlrksdjaf;kjlashdf;lk ag;lakj sal;d kj;ls jkd;klj adsf f;lsdakjf adl;fkja;lesksdjklfhasdlkjfhs;lakdjflk;asjdf;klasd g
Im done

Dude, take a pill and calm yourself. That was just plain rude, no need to call someone stupid for something like that. Your random gibberish and apparent explosion after one post about this makes you look like the stupid one. So just take it down a notch.

And morningstarrising may be right. The reason some people think this way is because between the 1 and 2G iPods the changes were minimal. Apple changed the scroll wheel from a moveable to a solid state and gave it a bigger hard drive. It looked the same, it acted the same, but now Apple could claim "no moving parts." Hardly a huge change, but enough of one for Apple to call them a new generation. Moving from a monochrome screen to a color display and consolidating the line from 3 models to 2 may not seem like a huge change, but it may be enough to say that it's a move from the 4G to the 5G. Only time will tell if this really is the update, or if the 5Gs are waiting in the wings and this was a stopgap solution.

ohara
2005-06-30, 19:49
Dude, take a pill and calm yourself. That was just plain rude, no need to call someone stupid for something like that. Your random gibberish and apparent explosion after one post about this makes you look like the stupid one. So just take it down a notch.

And morningstarrising may be right. The reason some people think this way is because between the 1 and 2G iPods the changes were minimal. Apple changed the scroll wheel from a moveable to a solid state and gave it a bigger hard drive. It looked the same, it acted the same, but now Apple could claim "no moving parts." Hardly a huge change, but enough of one for Apple to call them a new generation. Moving from a monochrome screen to a color display and consolidating the line from 3 models to 2 may not seem like a huge change, but it may be enough to say that it's a move from the 4G to the 5G. Only time will tell if this really is the update, or if the 5Gs are waiting in the wings and this was a stopgap solution.

haha. i thought all the letterz wuz cute. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOL

intlplby
2005-06-30, 21:34
hahah "mutt's nuts" that's great... i've been using the "bee's knees", but "mutt's nuts" is much better

propellerhead-
more space.... my 40gb ipod is full ... i'd like a 200gb iPod..... 120gb for music and 80gb for mobile hd all in one device...

9thunknownman-
don't keep your only copy of your music on your ipod... have a backup elsewhere... nothing sucks more than when something craps out and you lose all the music on your ipod...... even somebody plugging your ipod into their computer and accidentally choosing 'automatically manage' unintentionally can wipe things out.

murbot
2005-06-30, 21:43
Meltedbutter, shut your fucking piehole or you'll get a week long holiday.

DMBand0026
2005-07-01, 01:14

You're wonderful.

shatteringglass
2005-07-01, 01:34
I can see the "xG" convention becoming less and less relevant as a way to differentiate between iPod models. Apple seems to tweak the iPod lines a lot more these days, now that it has become more of a commodity product, and with these smaller revisions, it's become more subjective whether a change would qualify as a new generation or a just a modification to an existing generation. The new iPods are a perfect example: a 5G iPod, still a 1G iPod photo, or a 4G iPod with a color display? Or all three?

DMBand0026
2005-07-01, 01:43
Well, they're well past their 10th line of iPods now. There's a difference between a generation of a product and a line of a product. Yes, there's three different products (iPod, mini, and shuffle) and they're all in different generations, and they all have different lines. Confusing, yes. But if it's really that important you'll wade through the crap and figure out what you need.

shatteringglass
2005-07-01, 02:10
I've always referred to them they way Apple has in their support documentation, instead of a generation, they pick the biggest feature that distinguishes the product from the previous model, like iPod (Click Wheel), etc.

Wow, it's 3:10. Time to go to sleep...

morningstarrising
2005-07-01, 06:22
Yeah, the generation stuff is really only used by third-party companies that made products since generation two. And it's mostly the iPod skins that got effected the most since generation three.

So it's really up to those companies what to call these new iPods, with generation 5, Generation 4, with color, or generation 4.5. they will have to adress it, since most will want to know if that iPod skin, radio, ect they have works with the new color one.

Quagmire
2005-07-01, 13:36
Ok everyone you all end the battle. The new iPods are still 4G.

http://www.ipodlounge.com/index.php/news/comments/apple-executive-updated-ipods-still-4th-generation/

Franz Josef
2005-07-01, 13:57

You're wonderful.

... absolutely, but in a slightly in your face, remind me not to be in the same room as you if you have a fire-arm sort of way
:lol: