PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, I liked the previous title better: "Backdraft"

psmith2.0
2004-07-03, 09:52
:\

http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchstone/ladder_49.html

John Travolta, meet Kurt Russell. Joaquin Phoenix, meet William Baldwin.

Does this seem a bit familiar to anyone else?

Travolta is a hack (and I'd expect him to do just about anything for a paycheck), but I saw this trailer twice now, and all it seems to be missing is Donald Sutherland and Robert DeNiro.

:rolleyes:

Probably made even Ron Howard go "WTF?!?!"

:D

Eugene
2004-07-03, 10:05
The only common theme seems to be that they're buddy-buddy firemen.

It seems like the plot centers around Phoenix's character being trapped in a burning building, while Backdraft was all about following around a mysterious arsonist...

Backdraft was awesome.

billybobsky
2004-07-03, 10:10
anyone feel like this movie is feeding off a sentiment from 9/11?

psmith2.0
2004-07-03, 10:17
The only common theme seems to be that they're buddy-buddy firemen.

It seems like the plot centers around Phoenix's character being trapped in a burning building, while Backdraft was all about following around a mysterious arsonist...

Backdraft was awesome.

Well, we'll see...seems so close to me. Although, I guess there's only a couple of ways to make a movie about firefighters. That new Leary show probably won't break any molds either.

:rolleyes:

I can't picture him in anything other than a chain-smoking smart-ass (but a FUNNY chain-smoking smart ass, don't get me wrong!). "Yeah, I'm gonna run up that fuckin' burnin' building...uh huh, yeah...how about I stay here and steer the ladder or turn on that hydrant, Chief. Got a problem with that? Why don't YOU climb up there, fat ass?" puff*puff*puff

But you're right about "Backdraft". I really enjoy that, and can usually watch it whenever it's on TV.

Eugene
2004-07-03, 10:20
Not really, if it's a generic buddy flick. Feeding off of 9/11 would be actively incorporating it into the film...like "The Guys" did, or "Third Watch" with their temporary opening credits montage.

It'll be interesting to see how the FX show "Rescue Me" handles it.

DMBand0026
2004-07-04, 13:24
I'm really excited about this one. Although it does look somewhat similar to backdraft...it's a fire fighter movie, can't go wrong with that ;)

Backdraft is an excellent movie, but sitting around watching it with a bunch of my fire fighter buddies sucks. We pick apart every aspect of the movie because it's totally unrealistic. I hope no one here actually thinks the fire service is like that. :lol:
Still an awesome movie though.

This one should prove to be no different. Unrealistic, but very cool. I think it's awesome that fire fighters are getting more exposure now. After 9/11 they were instant heros, but as of late people have seemingly put them back into the regular everyday ordinary worker category. They are anything but. Fire fighters face more danger in one day than some people will face in their entire life.

Have you hugged a fire fighter today? ;)

psmith2.0
2004-07-04, 13:38
We pick apart every aspect of the movie because it's totally unrealistic. I hope no one here actually thinks the fire service is like that. :lol:

You mean you DON'T get to nail Jennifer Jason Leigh on top of a fire truck?

billybobsky
2004-07-04, 13:40
not to offend your choice of careers but the fact that it is a dangerous profession doesn't make firefighters any more heros than the crossing gaurd that watches the least busy intersection in the city or scientists who figure out a cure for a disease that affects three people worldwide.

in addition, danger doesn't add value to a profession.

DMBand0026
2004-07-04, 15:58
It's not that it adds value or makes a fire fighter a better person than anyone else...I didn't mean it that way at all.

I guess it was just a failed attempt to get some fire fighters the recognition that they deserve. This isn't to say that other professions don't deserve it...but the world wouldn't turn without them, just like it wouldn't without accountants, bankers, CEOs, office workers, blue collar workers...ect.

To be honest, I don't think that any professions deserve a larger amount of recognition than others...but because some people incur a decidedly larger amount of danger on a daily basis than others and never hear so much as a "thank you" for it, sometimes it is nice to honor them.

This is coming from me as a civilian, not a fire fighter. I've felt this way my whole life, even before getting into the fire service.