PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this PC?

HOM
2005-07-01, 07:13
CompUSA is having a sale tonight on some of their stuff. One of the deals they are offering is this (http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=320321&pfp=BROWSE) Compaq system for $199 after mail-in rebates.

I'm wondering if that's a decent system for getting my feet wet in the world of Windows?

The specs seem pretty good:

1.8 GHz AMD Sempron
512 MB RAM
160GB HDD
DVD+/-RW
9-1 Card Slot

Besides the generic Pee Cee's R teh suck!1 is there any reason I shouldn't pick this up tonight?

alcimedes
2005-07-01, 08:28
Damn. Other than the fact I hate mail in rebates, that's nice. Shows up as $450 with rebates for me though.

staph
2005-07-01, 08:33
If you can really get it for $250, you could do much worse than that machine. The Semprons are a pretty solid chip, and the only real weakness is the crappy shared memory graphics.

If you've got the money to spare, why not?

HOM
2005-07-01, 09:11
Damn. Other than the fact I hate mail in rebates, that's nice. Shows up as $450 with rebates for me though.
Link to $199 (http://www.compusa.com/specials/mmadness0505/7_1_05_midnight_madness.pdf) price (PDF)

It's only from 6-12 and only what's in stock. Most of the time they have like 5 of these in stock, sell them out in the first 10 minutes and then try and upsell you on a more expensive system.

Other than the rebate issues, this is a deal right? I can put in a PCI graphics card for like $50 so I don't see the integrated graphics as being an issue. Not that I'm going to be doing a ton of gaming.

I'm sooooo tempted.

:eek:

Wyatt
2005-07-01, 09:32
Link to $199 (http://www.compusa.com/specials/mmadness0505/7_1_05_midnight_madness.pdf) price (PDF)

It's only from 6-12 and only what's in stock. Most of the time they have like 5 of these in stock, sell them out in the first 10 minutes and then try and upsell you on a more expensive system.

Other than the rebate issues, this is a deal right? I can put in a PCI graphics card for like $50 so I don't see the integrated graphics as being an issue. Not that I'm going to be doing a ton of gaming.

I'm sooooo tempted.

I'd say do it. If nothing else, it would make a decent home theater box if you add a TV tuner and a video card with TV-out.

atomicbartbeans
2005-07-01, 10:25
Do it man! But for God sakes at least dual-boot to Linux so you don't need to use Windows any more than is absolutely necessary.

BenRoethig
2005-07-01, 11:52
My parents have its HP brother and it's been solid for them. For a light duty PC, you can do much worse.

Luca
2005-07-01, 11:59
Sadly it doesn't have expandable graphics... whichever company is responsible for these PCI-only motherboards (no AGP, no PCI-Express), I want them to die. There are tons of motherboards available with integrated graphics that also have AGP/PCI-E slots.

*sigh*

Rant over. If you're not gaming, this should be fine. But make sure you get lots of RAM to offset what the integrated graphics takes. And consider picking up a PCI video card, because it'll eliminate the whole "stolen RAM" thing and give you a better chipset than the built-in SiS one. Even among integrated graphics, SiS is still pretty bad. The fast processor should offset that, though.

For $200, it's an amazing deal. Just consider that the processor they're including costs about $100 from NewEgg, a motherboard costs at least $50 (though the one they are using is worthless IMHO), and of course there's the RAM, optical drive, hard drive, case, and power supply. I wouldn't buy that for $400, but for $200 it's a great deal.

Run Ubuntu Linux on it.

HOM
2005-07-01, 12:28
Ok, I'm going to need a quick and dirty Linux/Windows primer.

Is there a Linux distro that I will never ever have to look at a command line?

Would I be best served by getting a 'Live CD' and if so, which one?

Will I need to repartition my drive to support Linux and Windows?

Um, that's all for now.

I'm excited. I've been saying that I was going to get a PC since 1985, but now I'm actually doing it.

Luca
2005-07-01, 12:54
I recommended Ubuntu because a friend of mine recently installed it and said it was almost as easy to use as OS X. He said that if he didn't have a Mac, that's what he'd use. Now I'm curious to try it!

Brad
2005-07-01, 13:02
Is there a Linux distro that I will never ever have to look at a command line?
:lol:

Wait, I'm sorry, I...

:lol:

Okay, okay. Seriously, is there one that is nicely configurable and can install applications and such without having to learn the CLI and learn all the dirty inner workings of the OS? Does Ubuntu really fit this bill?

pmazer
2005-07-01, 14:25
Ubuntu is pretty darn close. I personally use the command line because it's easier for me to just use it, but I think everything I do on there, it's possible to do otherwise. Of course, if you're programming, it would probably be easier to just suck it up and use it.

HOM
2005-07-01, 15:12
Ok, I guess Linux is out.

There is no way I'm going to touch a CLI with a 10 foot pole.

If there is no GUI for it, it doesn't exist.

It's windows for me.

:err:

kscherer
2005-07-01, 15:32
Hell, buy the stupid thing. Just do us two favors:

1) let us no how the tech support is

2) don't tell us you bought it! These guys'll never let you hear the end of it! :p

Luca
2005-07-01, 15:49
Ok, I guess Linux is out.

There is no way I'm going to touch a CLI with a 10 foot pole.

If there is no GUI for it, it doesn't exist.

It's windows for me.

:err:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/unix-koans/gui-programmer.html

HOM
2005-07-01, 22:50
Well, I thought I give an update...

Like I guessed, the CompUSA near me only had 4 of the models in stock today. People showed up at 1PM and claimed them.

There was close to a riot at the store when the manager got a call from corporate. Due to overwhelming demand for the Compaq system, they opened the $250 rebate to BTO orders for a similarly spec'd system. After waiting for about an hour for the one computer that could process the orders to free up, I placed my order.

I had to get out of there pretty quickly so my meter didn't run out and I didn't really look that closely at the specs as the guy was configuring it. So I get home and checked out my order status and saw that the system that I purchased was not the one in the ad. This is a good thing.

:D

The rebates are still valid and the price was the same, but the system I ordered has a 8X AGP slot, SATA drives, and 5.1 sound. Not bad if you ask me.

:D

2005-07-02, 10:33
That's awesome, HOM.

I figured I'd check it out last night as well. I've been half-assed looking for a PC to do testing on and get my feet wet with Linux, and this sounded like a pretty good deal for a starter box. Well, I showed up at 5:45 and there was already a line of about 20 people outside. The manager came out to hand out vouchers for the system, and, like you said...5 boxes total. :grumble:

Most people in the back of the line left, but I figured I'd stick around and get the manager to write me a raincheck (yes, I read the fine print :D ). He ended up doing the same thing as you did. Pulled the computer up, went through the ordering process, printed me out a reciept and that was that. It should arrive at my office in a week or so. :)

A plus to doing it this way is that I was able to upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro for 80 bucks or so, and the jump from a 1.8Ghz to a 2.2 Ghz was only 40 bucks, so, what the hell, why not? It ended up costing me a little more, but I figured I was going to have to pony up for XP Pro with the stock system anyways. In the end it all worked out to be less cash than I planned. I'm pleased.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

BenRoethig
2005-07-02, 13:06
Sadly it doesn't have expandable graphics... whichever company is responsible for these PCI-only motherboards (no AGP, no PCI-Express), I want them to die. There are tons of motherboards available with integrated graphics that also have AGP/PCI-E slots.

*sigh*

Rant over. If you're not gaming, this should be fine. But make sure you get lots of RAM to offset what the integrated graphics takes. And consider picking up a PCI video card, because it'll eliminate the whole "stolen RAM" thing and give you a better chipset than the built-in SiS one. Even among integrated graphics, SiS is still pretty bad. The fast processor should offset that, though.

For $200, it's an amazing deal. Just consider that the processor they're including costs about $100 from NewEgg, a motherboard costs at least $50 (though the one they are using is worthless IMHO), and of course there's the RAM, optical drive, hard drive, case, and power supply. I wouldn't buy that for $400, but for $200 it's a great deal.

Run Ubuntu Linux on it.

The AMD ones do have an AGP slot.

Luca
2005-07-02, 13:09
Not the original one he linked to. It only had three PCI slots, one of which was taken out of the box.

2005-07-02, 13:16
Out of curiousity, I was poking around the NewEgg site for a 2.2Ghz Sempron...and it seems such a thing does not exist. :confused:

Any idea as to what processor I'll be getting? It looks like the Semprons max out at 2.0Ghz.

infoterror
2005-07-03, 00:06
It's windows for me.

The differences in actual, real-world usage between OS X, KDE and Windows are exaggerated.

You'll be fine.

Machine looks nice, although for another $45 I might replace the motherboard with something less screwy.

atomicbartbeans
2005-07-03, 00:13
I would've waited a month or two and brought an OSX-compatible motherboard (which is undoubtedly in the works).

Screw dual-boot systems, I want a triple-boot system!

OSx86: for daily use
Ubuntu: for tinkering
Windows: 'cause everybody else has it

2005-07-20, 14:44
*UPDATE*

OK, I got the damn thing in and need a bit of advice. I realize it's an über-cheap box, but I wouldn't mind putting a bit more into it if it would allow me to play the odd PC game once in a while.

Apparently it's got an 8X AGP slot, so I'm looking at upgrading the video (as is it's got 'Integrated SIS Mirage2 Graphics'...whatever the hell that is). I'm thinking a Radeon 9550?

It came with 512MB RAM (1 stick). From what I can gather it's got one more slot. Would another 512 suffice? More? OK as is?

I'm mostly a headphone guy, but I could see the need for speakers in the future. Any speaker suggestions? Again, I wouldn't be needing 'gaming' speakers, just something simple and nice sounding. If it matters, I'm running 'Integrated 5.1 Capable Sound'. (!)

Consider me a complete newb to the PC realm as well. I know exactly enough Windows to insert, find and open a CD.

ironlung
2005-07-20, 14:49
if you are new to the world of windows you need to lose the pcs 'cherry' by infecting it with a virus! ;)

2005-07-20, 14:55
Oh yes, I can't wait. :grumble: If it wasn't for F@H I wouldn't even be hooking it up to the internet. ;)

Franz Josef
2005-07-20, 14:56
*UPDATE*
Consider me a complete newb to the PC realm as well. I know exactly enough Windows to insert, find and open a CD.

Well, I have it on good authority from that Gates guy that Windows is "plug in and play" so I'm sure that's all you need to know :lol:

Luca
2005-07-20, 15:10
Apparently it's got an 8X AGP slot, so I'm looking at upgrading the video (as is it's got 'Integrated SIS Mirage2 Graphics'...whatever the hell that is). I'm thinking a Radeon 9550?

It came with 512MB RAM (1 stick). From what I can gather it's got one more slot. Would another 512 suffice? More? OK as is?
You should probably open the case and make sure it actually has an AGP slot. It'll be above the other slots and it looks a little different. If so, then yeah, the Radeon 9550 is a great card for the price. It has DirectX 9 features (pixel shader 2.0 and all that) and costs so little extra compared to bargain-basement cards that there's almost no justification for not getting it. The price difference between 128 MB and 256 MB models is literally $4, so you may as well get a 256 MB version. Oh, and you have to watch out for the versions out there with a 64-bit memory interface. It doesn't save you any money at all, yet using a 64-bit interface instead of a 128-bit one cuts the memory bandwidth in half.

Of course, if you're not gaming, why do you need a video card? It's really not necessary if all you're doing is sending a signal to a display.

As for the RAM, 512 MB is certainly enough. Windows isn't as much of a RAM hog as OS X, and the gap is even wider now with Tiger. Meanwhile, Windows XP hasn't really changed much since launch. Back when 512 MB was "plenty" for OS X, a lot of people were happy to run XP on 256-384 MB. 512 MB is so cheap these days that you may as well use that much, but you really don't need more unless you're (you guessed it) gaming. Or using professional applications.

2005-07-20, 15:19
Thanks Luca. :)

I won't be doing *alot* of gaming on it...but since it's here (and it's the only PC I plan to have around) I might as well get some use out of it other than simple cross-platform tests.

Luca
2005-07-20, 15:24
Oh, for your speakers, Logitech tends to make decent stuff. You might consider picking up a cheap 5.1 set from them just so you can take advantage of the integrated 5.1 outputs on the PC. Any cheap 5.1 set you buy isn't going to be that great, but neither is the integrated sound (especially if you have an SiS chipset... I can't imagine the built-in sound is even up to the level of what's on an nForce motherboard). Basically, don't expect much from your sound system unless you buy at least a $50-$100 sound card and a $150-$200 set of speakers. If you don't want to drop that kind of cash, don't even bother with a low-end sound card, just get some cheapo 5.1s and be done with it.

2005-07-20, 15:31
Yeah, I'll probably hold off on the speakers. They're not anything I need right away.

atomicbartbeans
2005-07-20, 18:42
if you are new to the world of windows you need to lose the pcs 'cherry' by infecting it with a virus! ;)
I think the verb you're looking for is 'pop'. :)

HOM
2005-07-26, 12:43
Figured I'd update:

I got the box a couple days ago, but work has been so crazy I haven't even taken it out of the shipping container yet, let alone put it together. That's my project for tonight. I decided to turn this into a Media Center/PVR/Gaming system so I bought some upgrades at New Egg.

I got a 1GB ram stick to bring the total up to 1.5 GB

256 MB Radeon 9550 graphics card (Thanks Luca)

Hauppauge Win-TV 150 capture card w/ Remote

All told the final system will end up costing me about $450.

EmC
2005-07-26, 16:01
HOM, if you haven't already or you find that whatever came bundled with that TV tuner isn't all that great I would highly recomend snapstream's BeyondTV. I've been using it for a while and it works great. There is a trial version at their website if you like to try before you buy (almost becoming a necessity). I recently had to replace my old Dell that decided not to work anymore. I bought a $350 HP that came with a 3200+ Athlon 64, then transfered all my drives and the video card then slapped in 2GB of RAM. Running very nice. I have never used a Sempron, once you get everything setup let us know how it works.

HOM
2005-07-26, 17:05
I'm planning on using Media Portal (http://mediaportal.sourceforge.net/) for my HTPC and PVR needs. It's open source, has a very active community, supports all my hardware out of the box, and is the only HTPC software that I have seen that supports iTunes natively.

EmC
2005-07-26, 17:34
Sweet. I'll have to check that out. Never heard of it before.