PDA

View Full Version : Home networking question...

.Hack
2005-07-01, 23:50
Our ISP is SBC. Back when we got this whole DSL thing up and running, we had two PC's. For our network, we're using this 2Wire modem thing that SBC sent us. I'm going to get an iBook soon, but I'd like to have wireless DSL using Airport Express, but I'm not sure I can. Our windows PC doesn't have a wireless card and my room only has a phoneline. What should I do, I'm totally confused about this whole thing!? If ya'll need anymore info, just tell me and I'll be as specific as possible, thanks!

P.S.
I'm thinking that I'll need one of those LinkSys routers, but I'm not too sure... :err:

infoterror
2005-07-03, 00:12
Our ISP is SBC. Back when we got this whole DSL thing up and running, we had two PC's. For our network, we're using this 2Wire modem thing that SBC sent us. I'm going to get an iBook soon, but I'd like to have wireless DSL using Airport Express, but I'm not sure I can. Our windows PC doesn't have a wireless card and my room only has a phoneline. What should I do, I'm totally confused about this whole thing!? If ya'll need anymore info, just tell me and I'll be as specific as possible, thanks!

P.S.
I'm thinking that I'll need one of those LinkSys routers, but I'm not too sure... :err:

You probably need a router with wireless and wired connections.

Your iBook should be able to connect to the 2Wire... it's some older wireless standard, and fairly slow, but I've been able to connect to them with a BSD machine before using 802.11b card.

Either that, or get your PC a wireless card ($40) and call it a day.

I'm not a big fan of recent LinkSys stuff... Cisco has been making that company into something with the ethics of a camel-trader. Maybe D-Link?

.Hack
2005-07-06, 13:52
Here's a bad image I made to help you understand my current set up as far as internet goes:

http://bandnerd.w2r.net/images/compset.bmp

Is there anyway to make my iBook wireless but not the PC? Should I just buy a wireless router?

AsLan^
2005-07-06, 20:39
Get a wireless router that you like... make sure it has some lan ports, most usually come with four. Connect your DSL to the "router" port of the wireless router. Then connect the PC to one of the lan ports on the router. Your ibook will be able to connect wirelessly as long as it's in range. The router will share the connection between the two computers.

I personally didn't have too much luck with my ISP's internet service and *cheap* wireless routers, I ended up getting an ASUS which runs a version of embedded Linux on the inside. This is probably overkill for most people. But was needed for me to properly share my ISPs connection. If you know someone who has a router already see if you can borrow theirs for an afternoon. If you have to get one from the store then dont be afraid to return it if it doesnt work... I personally spent many, many hours troubleshooting a netgear router to arrive at the conclusion that it couldn't properly do what it said it could. That's not to say netgear makes bad routers... you'd have to decide that for yourself.

Good luck, dont spend more than a couple of hours troubleshooting one of these things! and if worse comes to worse... I sincerely recommend the ASUS WL-530g.

Brad
2005-07-06, 20:47
I made an image for a related thread (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=7289) a month ago.

http://www.project-think.com/images-3/soccerkid656-setup.png

Replace the Mac mini in that picture with your iBook and voila! That's the setup it sounds like you want to have.

atomicbartbeans
2005-07-06, 22:15
I've been quite happy with my Linksys WRT54G, which I've had for a few weeks now. It does an excellent job of distributing our cable internet connection to our 3 (and sometimes 4) computers. It also does an excellent job with mixed connections; a combination of wireless computers and wired (through LAN ports).

.Hack
2005-07-07, 19:36
Thanks, all of the answers were very helpful! The pic was helpful too, thanks again. :)

chriswallace00
2005-07-28, 04:43
I'm probably being stupid here, but how does the router connect to the PC? Do you need a network (ethernet) card in the PC?

My current modem's USB (Crazy I know), is there anything that connects the router to the pc via USB? As my current network card is connected to another computer (but with 100/100 crossover that I don't think would work on a regular LAN)

sunrain
2005-07-28, 05:27
I'm probably being stupid here, but how does the router connect to the PC? Do you need a network (ethernet) card in the PC?

Yes, in the image above the PC has an ethernet card and connects via ethernet cable to the router. Many wireless routers also have ethernet ports (four or so) to allow wired connections.

Brad
2005-07-28, 08:06
My current modem's USB (Crazy I know), is there anything that connects the router to the pc via USB?
No.

Implementing a network over USB is a horrible, horrible thing. Only a few ISPs send out crippled modems that use a USB connection to the computer; they do that to limit your home networking options. If at all possible, contact your ISP and ask if you can replace your USB modem with an Ethernet modem.

infoterror
2005-08-01, 11:29
Implementing a network over USB is a horrible, horrible thing....If at all possible, contact your ISP and ask if you can replace your USB modem with an Ethernet modem.

Even if you end up switching ISPs, it will probably be easier in the long run than trying to patch together a USB network.