PDA

View Full Version : An Imac before intel

Sabbah
2005-07-02, 21:19
I was considering upgrading my ibook to an Imac and had just about made the jump when I heard that apple was going to make the switch to intel....I am now filled with a sense of impending doom.

From what I gather the upgrade(?) to intel will happen sometime between early 06 and late 07. Does anyone have more accurate timing for the imac?

It seems that the change of processor is a paradigm shift , a shift I wouldnt be too keen on being on the wrong side of if it happens in 6 months time. 2 years wouldnt be so bad as I will have paid the thing off by then and will probably be looking at an upgrade withing the next 6 months to a year anyway.

Any advice would be appreciated.

staph
2005-07-02, 21:24
It's unlikely that people (including Apple) will stop releasing new products for PPC Macs in the next two years… in fact, in the short term you're almost certainly better off with a PPC Mac because everything will be running natively (whereas on an Intel Mac you'd expect there to be a fair number of laggard companies whose software will be running in Rosetta for a while).

atomicbartbeans
2005-07-02, 22:22
Eh, by all means go ahead, or you'll regret it later (I always do when I put Mac purchases off). The current iMacs are plenty fast anyhow.