PDA

View Full Version : Wait for Intel?

Sinatra
2005-07-06, 08:37
To Whom it May Concern:

I am new to this forum and am currently seeking buying advice for a friend. I would appreciate any help that you can offer.

I am a Mac user who is trying to convince a friend to migrate over from the WinTel world. He destroys every PC in his path (Gateway, Dell, Micron, Clones..you name it). He is on the verge of "seeing the light". Why? Because of longevity.

I am currently using a PowerMac Dual Processor 500 G4. I purchased it in 2000. It is my only Mac. I made the switch five years ago and see no reason to upgrade at this point. My machine runs flawlessly AFTER FIVE YEARS. I used to build PC's and I have never had a machine last this long. Sure, I've added memory and hardware...but at this point I see no reason for me to upgrade.

My friend has taken my experience into consideration. He is about a hair away from purchasing an iBook (he doesn't need an awful lot of power).

Before I look like an idiot (which I sometimes specialize in)...

Will his iBook quickly become extinct due to the release of the new machines with Intel chips?

With my luck, his iBook will last about a year and I will have egg on my face.

Thanks for the help!

ghoti
2005-07-06, 09:06
As you might imagine, this topic has been discussed before. There is a nice FAQ on the Intel switch (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=7319), too, that should answer your questions and dispel your doubts ;)