PDA

View Full Version : How international is Applenova?

stevegong
2004-07-05, 00:01
So how international are we? Seems like most people are american. I'm curious.

_Ω_
2004-07-05, 00:11
So how international are we? Seems like most people are american. I'm curious.

Why don't you look at the where do you live thread????
:confused:

Luca
2004-07-05, 01:09
I wouldn't consider that to be a very valid poll anymore. If you look at it, the options are all messed up, it's been edited multiple times, and there's a bunch of off-topic banter going on in it. Not to knock Carol, but I wouldn't consider it to be the best indicator of how international we are.

_Ω_
2004-07-05, 02:06
Can't vote :grumble:

:p

:)

Luca
2004-07-05, 02:18
Can't vote :grumble:

:p

:)
Let me guess - either New Zealand (not part of Australia) or the UK (I know those Brits can't stand being thrown in with Europe). Am I right?

I could always edit the poll, changing "Australia" to "Australia/Oceania" or adding "United Kingdom" as an option.

Barto
2004-07-05, 02:54
Just pretend theres a "-region" after each option. Australia-region, Europe-region etc.

And just because you guys rejected Federation doesn't mean you can't pretend ;)

Barto

stevegong
2004-07-05, 03:00
Why don't you look at the where do you live thread????
:confused:

Well the reason for that is because where one lives is different to where one consideres himself to be from.

For example, I live in the US right now but I'm not American. I also lived in Italy my whole life but because my parents are Chinese, I consider myself more Chinese.

_Ω_
2004-07-05, 03:28
Well the reason for that is because where one lives is different to where one consideres himself to be from.

For example, I live in the US right now but I'm not American. I also lived in Italy my whole life but because my parents are Chinese, I consider myself more Chinese.

Touché ;)

And to be lumped in with Oz is an insult :p

:smokey:

stevegong
2004-07-05, 03:35
Touché ;)

haha, sorry about that, should I have called it Australasia?

Btw, I vaguely remember years and years ago when i was like 4 or something when my dad told me that Oceania was a continent. Then the english teacher at school told me he was wrong...what's the deal with oceania? I have an old map which actaully says oceania on there.

stevegong
2004-07-05, 03:37
Touché ;)

You a fencer? I need to talk with fencers who use macs...haven't found a single person besides myself so far...

I'm an épéeist. :)

Barto
2004-07-05, 03:59
haha, sorry about that, should I have called it Australasia?

Btw, I vaguely remember years and years ago when i was like 4 or something when my dad told me that Oceania was a continent. Then the english teacher at school told me he was wrong...what's the deal with oceania? I have an old map which actaully says oceania on there.

Some school teachers will say it is a continent, others will say it is not, still more will say either is correct.

The olympic flag doesn't have a ring for oceania. The notion of oceania I think stems from the long running refusal by the countries "in oceania" to be "part of Asia".

Barto

_Ω_
2004-07-05, 05:44
You a fencer? I need to talk with fencers who use macs...haven't found a single person besides myself so far...

I'm an épéeist. :)

No, just expanding my vocab! ;)

I did play Pirates on the Commodore 64 though if that helps. :lol:

ast3r3x
2004-07-05, 06:18
If your Chinese, but have lived in Italy for you whole life (prior to being in america for a couple months or a year), you'd be Italian. If you are going by the blood you have in your veins then I don't think there would be too many "americans" here. I've lived in the US my whole life, but I'm really swiss and german ;)

stevegong
2004-07-05, 07:12
If your Chinese, but have lived in Italy for you whole life (prior to being in america for a couple months or a year), you'd be Italian. If you are going by the blood you have in your veins then I don't think there would be too many "americans" here. I've lived in the US my whole life, but I'm really swiss and german ;)

While I have lived in Italy my whole life and consider it home, I do not look Italian, meaning that I can have Italian citizenship, speak perfect italian, etc, but if I say I'm Italian people are going to go wtf.

I suppose being American is a special case because you can be genetically from anywhere and still accepted as an american.

If I were to say american people would say ok, cool, but if I say Italian people generally pause for a second, regardless if they accept it or ask why I'm Italian.

stevegong
2004-07-05, 07:18
I think this is possibly a good way to test where one considers himself to be from:

What country one cheers for and identifies with the most while watching the Olympics (since it is coming up).

And a good way to rate it as how much emotion one feels when one sees a particular country's flag get raised for the gold medal position.

A black guy in a Multicultural issues seminar I was taking at school said that although he is american, he doesn't feel much when USA wins, because he feels disconnected with the mainstream idea of america. I thought this was interesting. Does the same thing go for countries like Canada and Australia?

staph
2004-07-05, 07:33
I think this is possibly a good way to test where one considers himself to be from:

What country one cheers for and identifies with the most while watching the Olympics (since it is coming up).

And a good way to rate it as how much emotion one feels when one sees a particular country's flag get raised for the gold medal position.

A black guy in a Multicultural issues seminar I was taking at school said that although he is american, he doesn't feel much when USA wins, because he feels disconnected with the mainstream idea of america. I thought this was interesting. Does the same thing go for countries like Canada and Australia?

No, the whole country goes bananas. It's depressing.

Mac+
2004-07-05, 08:48
Not quite the whole country Staph... I remember heading up to the wretched Gold Coast whilst the Sydney Olympics were on and Foxtel was running a marathon of The Simpsons - non-stop for about three days and nights... no contest for me. :)

I went up with a mate as I needed the escape (it was a very sad time in my extended family's history - still remember it). Can't quite recall smoking as much pot and drinking as much as I did that week - and generally feeling mega-depressed about the recent turn of events - than any other week in my life. :(

Still, we did tune in for the opening ceremony, though - but to this day I don't think either of us have ever seen the closing ceremony. :shrugs:

billybobsky
2004-07-05, 09:07
The "black guy" in your multicultural class was just revealing a sentiment that racial minorities (even though they obviously have more cultural connections to the country at large than to their "homeland") sometimes express and often have forced upon them. Look at advertisements, sitcoms, news ... every single person is white -- if we had the racial/ethnic appearance of what is promoted as these normal slices of life, this nation wouldn't look the same at all (and simply wouldn't be the same).

I am a eastern european mutt -- i feel little connection to the sort of bland consumerism that is espoused by the majority of the "americans" around me -- i don't eat the same foods, etc etc; at the same time, i have no clue what i would be like to live in eastern europe -- and from my sense of things I don't think i would like it at all -- it is in this way that my family has been profoundly affected by the united states and i think this is what is meant by american (at least my isolated sphere of america).

as for cheering for a team at the olympics -- the us pisses me off sometimes by their dominance so i often look for teams that are new/formerly horrible at events and cheer for them... if i cheer at all...

HOM
2004-07-05, 10:45
I demand more options.

I'm a Brooklynite first, a New Yorker second, and an American in distant third.

Why travel the world when you can go from China to Italy by crossing the street?
(Perfect for you stevegong :p )

billybobsky
2004-07-05, 10:46
hey now, not every american city has chinatown on top of little italy...

Luca
2004-07-05, 12:23
Touché ;)

There, I changed the options ever so slightly so that "Australia" now includes the Pacific Islands, and "Europe" also includes the British Isles.

This is a bit of a different poll from the "Where do you live" one, too. Personally, I have Italian and Eastern European blood in me, but I consider myself American because I was born here and have lived my whole life here. Others, like Steve, may feel differently.

One thing I do know is that Steve is most certainly not an American ;).

crazychester
2004-07-05, 18:17
Not quite the whole country Staph...

Heathen! The Olympics were fantastic. Although I have to admit the highlight was Roy and HG. Favorite moment. Jacques Thingummybob from the IOC responding to a question at a packed press conference of international media:

"The IOC has no problem with Fatso the Fat Arsed Wombat." :lol:

Yeah I know Luca, off-topic banter. Sosumi.

Mac+
2004-07-05, 20:56
Hey, don't get me wrong chester maaate - I enjoyed Roy & HG's coverage as much as the next person... but then again, I've got cassettes (!) of their schtick from This Sporting Life going back about 10 years or so - so it wasn't anything new or revolutionary for me.

Sport is OK and I do admire the athletes who have worked so hard to get where they want to be: at an elite level on the world stage. It's just that, for me, I was more happier at that time watching a four fingered yellow skinned cartoon family than gluing myself to the Olympics. :\

crazychester
2004-07-05, 21:38
I've got cassettes (!) of their schtick from This Sporting Life going back about 10 years or so

Why am I not the least bit surprised by this....

Spart
2004-07-05, 23:03
[...] Look at advertisements, sitcoms, news ... every single person is white -- if we had the racial/ethnic appearance of what is promoted as these normal slices of life, this nation wouldn't look the same at all (and simply wouldn't be the same).

That depends on what you watch I suppose. On the local news channel I watch, one of the anchors is black and one of the main reporters is black. I enjoy sitcoms like George Lopez...it seems to me that advertisements have people "of color" (I think that phrase is bullshit, because it lumps all non-caucasians together) as often as not.

One thing I can draw from is modern school textbooks...it occurred to me that maybe 10% of the people in most of the newer books I have seen are white. Maybe political correctiveness gone too far...but I don't see that as a bad thing.

Living in southern Iowa, my school has *one* black family. It's really very odd...only one person in my class of thirty or so is black, and she's one of only two in my high school. She's actually from africa, and doesn't know English that well. She keeps to herself...I've never even had the opportunity to strike up a conversation with her. We have two or three mexican families.

On the other hand, I may see a bit more cultural diversity than the rest of southern Iowa. The local university attracts a wide variety of students and I see them a lot and associate with a few. That, and my girlfriend is part Mexican. She's adopted, though, and her family is quite culturally diverse.

It depends on what you're looking for, I suppose.