PDA

View Full Version : Unpleasant things to discover

Crusader
2004-07-05, 00:45
I'll start out, feel free to contribute:

Walking into the next room at 1:23 AM, in bare feet, and discovering that it is now flooded.

The news that Apple is delaying the new iMacs, and then seeing the stock drop.

Finding out that your g/f cheated on you during senior week.

PS: Man, we really need a TRC around here. My lungs are filling up with mucus or something.

Mac+
2004-07-05, 00:49
Crusader - that g/f story is sad... sorry to hear it. Check your PM, though. :)

Moogs
2004-07-05, 14:06
Rent a wet-vac, get a Power Mac and drop whats-er-name like a bag of rotten apples. Then go buy a six pack of brew and show up at your best buddy's house unannounced. It'll clear up your sinuses.

:D

Maciej
2004-07-05, 17:53
Waking up in the middle of the night in order to use the toilet. Lifting up seat, sitting down, discovering racoon in bowl.

stevegong
2004-07-06, 07:02
Sitting down on the toilet seat to piss during the night (I piss sitting down during the night because I don't like turning on the light and you don't have to worry about aiming) and discovering this kid that was staying with us pissed all over the toilet seat.

ugh, it was nasty

Luca
2004-07-06, 07:59
Man, this is turning into another toilet thread.

Which brings me to last night...

I wake up in the middle of the night, around 3 AM. Ah crap, I have to take a dump. So I get up and use the toilet nearest my bedroom. Get done, flush... and I guess the damn thing is clogged again (IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING CLOGGED!!!!) because it filled up and didn't suck the water back down. Okay, get out the plunger, plunge it a bit, try flushing again, plunge a bit while it's flushing... nothing... shit it's overflowing! Now I'm pissed. Plunge some more, doesn't do anything, so I say "FUCK IT," throw the plunger on the floor and wash my hands before going straight back to bed. It's my parents' house, I'll let them clean it up.

Man, I don't know why the hell septic systems were invented. They're basically high-maintenance, low-tolerance plumbing systems. Ours is ALWAYS acting up. I'd say about half the time I have to use the plunger on the toilet even if I don't take a crap, and it will get so bad as to overflow about once a month. I swear, I'm never living in the distant suburbs ever. It's either the city plumbing, or an outhouse for me. Nothing in between.

The good news is that I'm moving out of my parents' house come August. I'll be in the city again.

stevegong
2004-07-06, 08:43
what is a septic system?

I imagine it's not the kind found in Italy cause I've never heard of nor experienced clogging.:D

Is it the kind where you pull this little lever which seems to pull in all directions? I bet it is cause we have it in the dorms and it's always clogging, that's sum nasty shit (literally)

Luca
2004-07-06, 09:06
Heh... you're completely lost Steve.

A septic system is not a type of toilet. It is a type of plumbing/sewage system used in rural areas. Basically, you get a big tank underground where all the sewage goes, and your toilets and sinks and showers all drain into there. The tank allows sludge (denser than water) and scum (lighter than water) to separate out from the water, which then goes into the drain field and is slowly filtered and reintroduced into the ground.

Meanwhile, we have a well (drilled a good bit away from the septic tank, mind you!) to get our water. Of course this is not nearly as effective as having city water pumps, but it gets the job done. The problem, though, is that our water pressure isn't particularly good. So taking a shower is more like trying to bathe in the rain, and washing your hands can take a while because the faucet isn't very powerful.

Maybe it IS just the toilet that's broken, though. It is kind of old and should probably be replaced, but then all our toilets should be. The one in the basement always clogs, and the one upstairs will flush fine but it takes about ten minutes to fill, and once it's done you have to hit the right side of the tank to keep it from running on.

EDIT: I have to give credit to howstuffworks.com for providing me with the details. I knew kind of how a septic system works but reading their explanation (http://people.howstuffworks.com/sewer2.htm) helped a bunch.

Mac+
2004-07-06, 09:11
shit it's overflowing! Now I'm pissed. Plunge some more, doesn't do anything, so I say "FUCK IT," throw the plunger on the floor and wash my hands before going straight back to bed. It's my parents' house, I'll let them clean it up.

man - that is gross and very poor form Luca. :rolleyes:

Luca
2004-07-06, 09:16
Well, it was 3 AM, and what was there to do? I absolutely couldn't get the thing to work. Should I have just stayed up, working at the damn thing all night? Sometimes the only way to get it to work is to let it sit for a bit.

On top of that, I had work the next morning, and I had to get up at 6 AM. So although I was thinking "stupid parents stupid toilet stupid septic system mumble bitch gripe" at the time, there really wasn't anything I could have done had I been a bit more clear-headed about it.

The good thing is that by the time it started overflowing, the water wasn't that dirty anymore.

stevegong
2004-07-06, 09:20

Man, I hope the toilet didn't have stuff in it...

This stupid girl in our dorm was calling her bf while taking a shit and then her phone dropped in the toilet. I told her to submerge it in distilled water for a few days and then dry it...guess what, it works.

But here's what's funnier, 2 weeks later she accidentally poured water in her powerbook. got a new one and then dropped it and broke it again. such people don't deserve to use mac.

hehe, Luca, if you remember, it's that girl who's ram I wanted to steal by messing her computer up and then 'fixing' it. lol She had 700 some megs of ram, all she does is use itunes and chat...

Mac+
2004-07-06, 09:51
Luca - I got no qualms with leaving it a bit for the system to settle... but that line about leaving it for your parents to clean up was not a good one. Perhaps get up at 5.50am and give it another shot before anybody else is confronted with the remnants of your 3am opus. :\

Luca
2004-07-06, 10:09
No, I don't think you understand. See, this is a common occurrance in our house, so it's not uncommon for my brother or I to try and fail at fixing the damn thing, and when we fail, we pass it off to our mother who is much better at it.

stevegong
2004-07-06, 11:03
Well, that leaving it for my parents to clean when I first read it... sounded very much like:

I can spend this money however I wish, Idon't care cause it's my parent's money.

I've heard that so much in the US. I think it's because from an early age there is a clear distinction between what's yours and what's mine, even in a family.

to me that's kinda cold...

Luca
2004-07-06, 11:37
Moving on from the continued toilet discussion, I have come home quite a few times to learn that my pet bird has laid yet another clutch of eggs. Now, we're going to have to give her to a breeder because we're afraid that laying three or four sets every year is going to physically drain her to the point of dying at a young age. Cockatiels remain able to reproduce for a very long time, so I doubt she'll go through bird menopause before she ends up dying from excessive physical strain. We've tried hormone shots but they don't work anymore, her will to be a mother is too strong.

Maciej
2004-07-06, 13:28
Mold. I think mold is very gross to discover, especially when you are biting through your sandwich.

Powerdoc
2004-07-06, 14:15
One friend of mine discovered that her wife, was not a woman, and that his pain in the ass, was not due to hemmoroidis :err: :eek:

stoo
2004-07-06, 15:39
Waking up in the middle of the night in order to use the toilet. Lifting up seat, sitting down, discovering racoon in bow

Who discovered whom first ? How did it get there?

Luca
2004-07-06, 15:52
A long-forgotten mouse trap with a rotting mouse in it. I hate it when I find those because the cleanup is disgusting and I'm never quite sure I've gotten all the dead mouse germs off my hands.

In a related but distinctly different way, it's also very unfortunate to come across a dead bird lying on the side of the road. It's sad :(

Spart
2004-07-06, 16:19
Walking outside in the morning, being already probably late for school, and discovering that windows in car were left down overnight.

...and then wiping dew from the inside of the windshield.

Also, walking outside from pretty much anywhere, discovering flat tire. Not only is tire flat, but has only 100 or so miles on it.

Dave
2004-07-06, 16:49
One friend of mine discovered that her wife, was not a woman, and that his pain in the ass, was not due to hemmoroidis :err: :eek: Wha...?? How...?? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Maciej
2004-07-06, 17:11
Who discovered whom first ? How did it get there?

Well, it was a mutual discovery in my opinion, but if I had to choose someone, it would be the raccoon. This happened in northern Wisconsin, in a cabin, so... thats how it got there. I really have no idea why it crawled into the toilet tho. It seems very illogical to me.

Maciej
2004-07-06, 17:15
Come to think of it, it was a pretty small raccoon. And after it ran out of the bathroom, into the living room, I lost sight of it. And that was lesson enough to keep doors closed up north.

Wickers
2004-07-06, 17:24
DIscovering where all the mice in your house went to die after they ate some poison left out the week before.

Maciej
2004-07-06, 17:32
Finding your hamster dead in its cage when you come home from shopping one night with your parents.

Wickers
2004-07-06, 19:39
Discovering that you can't remember who exactly you fooled around with the night before. . . then discovering that she can't remember you either.
God I love vodka.

psmith2.0
2004-07-06, 19:41
Whore.

:p

Wickers
2004-07-06, 20:01
Whore.
:p

That only happened once. . . our friends had to reintroduce us, then we hit it off for a while. Which only lasted about two weeks, but it was just a fling, fun while it lasted. Looking back at it now, it was a stupid idea (but what did I care at the time. . .) I mean, you never know where some people have been. So now when I get drunk at parties I force myself to only hit on girls that I know. (but when I'm sober, everyone is fair game. ;) )

Eugene
2004-07-06, 20:03
She's a man, baaaby!

Wickers
2004-07-06, 20:04
I wish! That would be cool!
;)

propellerhead
2004-07-06, 21:55
Driving two hours on a absolutely beautiful day to hit the beach....

.....only to find the surf completely flat.

Especially when the surf reports were promising.

:grumble:

Crusader
2004-07-06, 22:30
Discovering that you have no Life or Capt'n Crunch cereal :grumble:

I had a dream that we had a box of Life cereal in the house, and I woke up craving the stuff...

InactionMan
2004-07-06, 23:03
Waking up, going to the kitchen and remembering that I forgot to set the coffee maker the night before. Grrrrrrrrrr! I hate waiting for my first cup of coffee and cig in the morning.

Wickers
2004-07-06, 23:11
Discovering that you have no Life...
--snip--

:lol: :p

Spart
2004-07-07, 00:10
:lol: :p

Wickes, my thoughts exactly as I read his post.

:lol: