PDA

View Full Version : Mac Installer bootable disc

etphonehome
2004-07-05, 02:26
I have lost my original Panther disc. I have a backup, with all my other software in case the original gets corrupted etc. I converted the file to DMG and used Toast as a backup. So now I only have the DMG file. How can I convert it back to the DVD but make it bootable? I have tried to mount the disk and tried disk to disk copy. It didn't boot up. Then I tried saving it as a .toast file and then mounting that and buring it this way but still not bootable. What am I doing wrong!

:confused:

I hope I have not lost even my backup file.... :mad: :no:

ET

Barto
2004-07-05, 02:53
Mounting the DMG kills the boot code :o

So you're a bit screwed now :(

HOM
2004-07-05, 10:01
Isn't it a matter of blessing the system?

Ok, here is an idea for making those discs bootable again.

First, create a blank disc image that is the same size of the CD/DVD. Mount that to the desktop. Next, mount the Panther CD/DVD. Then open up Carbon Copy Cloner (http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13260) and clone the Panther disc to the blank image. When it has finished cloning, CCC will bless the system and make it bootable. Finally, burn the new Panther disc and you should be able to boot of of it.

I hope that works for you.

etphonehome
2004-07-05, 11:51
:eek:

How do I do this in toast? Newbie here. :lol:

<First, create a blank disc image that is the same size of the CD/DVD. Mount that to the desktop. Next, mount the Panther CD/DVD. >

ET

Luca
2004-07-05, 12:38
Don't use Toast. From personal experience, discs made in Toast are not bootable, while discs burned with Disk Copy are.

So, first you go into Disk Copy and click on "New Image." Then, you double click your .dmg file to mount it on the desktop. Then, you download Carbon Copy Cloner, and tell it to copy your Panther disk image onto the blank disk image.

I just checked and the size of the first Panther CD is 664 million bytes. When you create a blank disk image in Disk Copy, it'll ask how big you want to make it... if you choose 633 MB, which is how big the system says the file is, it won't work, because Disk Copy will make a disk image that can hold 633 million bytes, which is about 30 million bytes too short. So, when it asks how big you want to make it, select "Custom..." from the menu and set it to 664 MB. Then you'll have enough room to move everything over.

Once that's done, burn the newly created image to a CD using Disk Copy and it might work. I can't be sure that it will work, though.

etphonehome
2004-07-05, 19:56
Where do I find Disk Copy? I tried Versiontracker and Apple, and it's not available. I searched my hard disk and I only have the OS9 version.

Sorry for the trouble.

ET

HOM
2004-07-05, 20:07
Not Disk Copy, I think Luca misspoke. You are looking for Disk Utility. It can be found within the Utilities folder.

Luca
2004-07-05, 21:28
Not Disk Copy, I think Luca misspoke. You are looking for Disk Utility. It can be found within the Utilities folder.
Yeah, that's what I meant.

For what it's worth, I had to make a copy of an OS 9 install CD for my grandfather today, and the only way I could get it to work was by telling Toast to do a direct copy. Somehow, Disk Utility didn't make a bootable disc. But that was an OS 9 disc, it does make perfectly usable OS X discs.

etphonehome
2004-07-06, 04:01
Doesn't seem to work! :eek:

I made a new disk image and opened up Copy Clone. Then I chose original and target discs and unlocked the permissions before cloning. When I clicked on cloning, the following message is shown:

"There was an error during correcting volume privileges: chown:/volumes/MacOsX Install DVD/: Read-only file system. Would you like to ignore this error or stop?"

I clicked ignore and then when the target image finished cloning, I tried to burn it in disk utility but the burn button is not active.

:grumble:

etphonehome
2004-07-06, 04:03
Additionally, when i checked the target image and realised not all the files are copied! Sigh... :confused:

boyelectric
2004-09-14, 15:13
We are having this same issue, intermittently with various drives we use and images...
"There was an error during correcting volume privileges: chown:/volumes/Macintosh HD/: Read-only file system. Would you like to ignore this error or stop?"

This is driving us nuts and we keep going around in circles.

chaos86
2005-05-11, 08:54
i have the same error message. a google search brought me here looking for answers. so if I have a mac os x install dvd and i want to make a backup of it, even to a firewire drive, can i just use carbon copy cloner? i read on the CCC site that you have to uncheck "ignore ownership on this volume" in get info for both the source and destination discs (dont know if that helps anyone trying to make DVDs.

bassplayinMacFiend
2005-05-11, 12:00
Don't use Toast. From personal experience, discs made in Toast are not bootable, while discs burned with Disk Copy are.

That's funny, I have the exact opposite experience. I used Disk Utility to burn a .dmg file to DVD and it wasn't bootable. Used Toast et Voila! Bootable DVD. :)

I do think how you created the DVD to begin with also plays a role in whether it can ever be burned as a bootable volume.