PDA

View Full Version : Best bang for buck upgrade on G5 1.6ghz

Websteria
2005-07-11, 17:53
Hi all!

I just got a G5 1.6 ghz and have already upgraded the ram to 2Gigs and the HD to 300 gigs... at this point I'm looking at upgrading the video card, but I'm curious if that will affect the usage I have for it.

I want to do a lot of video editing and sound editing. I have an X800 in my PC that I was thinking of moving over (except it doesn't have the ADC port, which I know I can get an adapter to do)... are there any other upgrades I can do to the machine to make it kick more ass?

Thanks!
Jeff

atomicbartbeans
2005-07-11, 18:24
Plenty (http://www.apple.com/displays/).

Websteria
2005-07-11, 18:33
We actually already have a 17" LCD, the older one, but it looks great.

Luca
2005-07-11, 18:44
You can't move a PC graphics card over to a Mac without a lot of potentially dangerous (not to mention difficult and time-consuming) hacking. If you only have the GeForce FX5200 right now, you might like to upgrade to a faster video card like the Radeon 9800 Mac Special Edition (not to be confused with the Radeon 9800SE, a very crippled and slow PC-only card). Although for video and sound editing, I don't think it's worth it. A faster video card will not help for either of those.

Another good upgrade that might actually help you as well would be to get a PCI sound card. The M-audio Revolution 7.1 is an excellent sound card that's Mac-compatible. It's about $100.

Do you just have a single 300 GB hard drive, or do you also have the hard drive that originally shipped with your machine? One upgrade option would be to buy a 73 GB Western Digital Raptor and use it as your boot drive. It's a 10,000 RPM hard drive, significantly faster than most desktop hard drives (which spin at 7,200 RPM). But it's very expensive.

FFL
2005-07-11, 21:11
For best-bang-for-buck, I usually max out the RAM before looking to spend money on any further upgrades.