PDA

View Full Version : RAM in PowerMac G4 and iBook G3 700

darkerknight
2004-07-05, 14:00
Hi,
is it possible to put more than 2 GB into a PowerMac G4 AGP? I know Apple only supports 2 GB, but would it be possible to put 1 Gb modules into the PM?

Also, is it possible to add a 1 GB module to an iBook G3 700 (officialy supports 640 MB)?

Thanks a lot!

Luca
2004-07-05, 21:39
No, as far as I know, the PowerMac G4 AGP could only take 4x512 MB modules, while the iBook G3 could only take the initial 128 MB + one 512 MB module. There are a few, rare 1 GB PC133 DIMMs and maybe even SODIMMs that could theoretically work, but I don't think the computers would recognize them as being a full 1 GB. Even if they did work perfectly, it would NOT be worth the expense for these slower machines. A fully loaded PowerMac G4 (dual 1.5 GHz G4 upgrade, Radeon 9800, etc) won't benefit from more than 2 GB of RAM, just as the non-upgradable iBook with a mere 700 MHz G3 won't really notice if you install more than 640 MB. There are a few exceptions, but even then it wouldn't be worth the tremendous expense necessary to upgrade these machines when you can just buy new ones that have a higher RAM ceiling.

Also, the AGP PowerMac G4s can only recognize the full 2 GB in OS X. In OS 9, they will only see up to 1.5 GB, even if they have more installed.