PDA

View Full Version : Special talents

crazychester
2004-07-05, 19:25
Special talents. Party tricks. Things you can do that not everybody on the planet is capable of. Not stuff associated with what you do for a living because then I'd crap all over the rest of you. :p

Which means, unfortunately, that my list is pretty unimpressive but here goes.

1. I can wiggle my ears. In my experience, not many people can do this but the fact is, it's not really all that interesting when you can. It's not like they flap or anything.

2. I can juggle. While this impresses people who can't juggle there are actually a lot of people who can juggle.

3. I can say "I have been invited to the wedding of Princess Anne" in Italian. "But anybody who speaks Italian can do that!" I hear you cry. Well yes. But try finding me another person who doesn't speak Italian who can do it. I rest my case.

4. I can tie secret removalist knots. While this might not sound all that clever, in practice, people are amazed and astounded when you can tie down anything so it just won't budge.

That's the best I can do. Actually, I've got another one but it's a bit rude so we'll skip it.

I'm sure there'll be someone out there who can suck milk up their nose and make it come out their eyes.

psmith2.0
2004-07-05, 19:48
PM me that rude one...I'm so curious now, I can't stand it. ;)

I guess voices/mimicry is about as neat of a special talent as I have.

And I'm a better-than-average guitarist, and certainly able to hold my own in many genres (bluegrass, rockabilly, surf, Chet Atkins style, rock & roll, some jazz/standards, slide, fingerpicking, flat-picking, Knopfler, Setzer, George Harrison, Chuck Berry, power pop, folk, etc. Been playing since I was 12...I'm 35 now). I don't suck.

:)

That's it, really. Can't really wiggle anything cool or unusual.

:p

AirSluf
2004-07-05, 19:54
XXXXX

Wrao
2004-07-05, 19:59
I once cut somebody's head off with my wit

psmith2.0
2004-07-05, 20:02
Yeah, I saw that. Awesome! :p

Oh, did I mention I can levitate?

I wish...

murbot
2004-07-05, 20:13
I can pop by thumbs back to about 90 degrees and freak people out.

I can hold my breath for freakishly long periods of time. Like over 3 minutes.

I can do a Happy Gilmore tee shot on the golf course, and hit it long and straight 9 times out of 10.

I can totally squirt milk out of my eye. :D

I'm a good juggler too. I can juggle 3 apples and eat one of them down to the core while I'm doing it. I don't know, is that good? I have these juggling balls that I juggle with, then let one fall, and sort of juggle upside down, like bouncing the 3 balls off the ground in the same pattern as I do when juggling normally. I don't know, some people think that's cool. heh heh

Oh, and I can do that thing where you are laying on your back, arch it, then spring onto your feet. Like ninjas. :lol:

thuh Freak
2004-07-05, 20:27
i can control each of my eye brows independantly of each other. its a pretty cool thing. i also know a bunch of card tricks, but those aren't quite as popular.

crazychester
2004-07-05, 21:32
Ah so many great responses so little time to reply.

PM me that rude one...I'm so curious now, I can't stand it.

You know, I'm sorely tempted to just because you had the balls to come out and ask. We'll see....

I guess voices/mimicry is about as neat of a special talent as I have.

Yeah I do accents and mimicry. I have that affliction where I start to copy the accent and mannerisms of people I'm talking to. Sometimes I read Powerdoc's posts in a really sleazy, dirty Frenchman accent and occasionally I give Vox Barbara the Achtung! treatment.

And I'm a better-than-average guitarist

Didn't know that. Colour me impressed.

I hang spoons off my head.

Ooooh I like ones like this.

I can pop by thumbs back to about 90 degrees and freak people out.

I am one of those people but the 3 minute holding the breath thing is remarkable. However, I am most impressed by your juggling ability. Don't know whether to believe the eating the apple one but I've seen the ball dropping one done. Wow. The standard 3 ball juggle is my limit. I am a crap juggler. However, to all you none jugglers, I highly recommend it - good for the mind, body and soul.

Oh, and I can do that thing where you are laying on your back, arch it, then spring onto your feet. Like ninjas.

OK I know I'm breaking my own rule 'cause this is a dance one but I can do the opposite - fall over backwards in a controlled way so I don't hurt myself.

i can control each of my eye brows independantly of each other.

I have wanted to be able to do this for so long just for the dramatic effect it creates. As an ear wiggler, I know it's just a matter of isolating the right muscles. But despite hours of practice, this formidable ability has eluded me. Sometimes I can do it spontaneously, by accident. But that's not the same as being able to do it at will.

Windswept
2004-07-05, 21:51
1. I'm good at fixing machines. We have had a succession of copiers at work. Two in the recent past were the size of aircraft carriers (only a 'slight' exaggeration), and were prone to constant breakdowns. In a school, these things take massive abuse and are worked to death. When they would break down, people would call for me, because I could generally take the copier apart, find/fix the problem, and put it back together again. I loved doing this. It gave me great satisfaction. Not to mention major accolades and ringing applause from my colleagues. :)

2. I can knock on the top of my head, with my mouth open a certain way, and make my head sound like it's hollow. :lol: I'm totally sure everyone can do this, so it's not much of a talent really.

3. I can do a great imitation of what a dust mite looks like (under a microscope). My students would die laughing when I did this, and say: do it again! do it again! (Dust mites look *really* gross and scary, by the way. Yeuch!!! :eek: )

4. I can shoot baskets really well. I can go around the key shooting from any position and never miss. :cool: Plus, when I got a cast on my foot for a hairline fracture, as soon as the cast dried, I was back out on the court, shooting. But I couldn't put any weight on my foot with the cast, so I developed the most wonderful hook shot - mainly because it was the only kind of shot I could make with all that plaster on.

5. In German, I can say: "May I have a cigarette, please" (but I don't smoke), and "The streetcar stop is there, on the corner". In Japanese: "What color is it?" And in Italian: "There are the boys".

6. I can bark like a dog and cackle like a chicken - quite realistically. Oh, and when I was 10, I could make a call exactly like a ground squirrel, so that real ground squirrels would come up out of the ground, stand on their hind legs and look around. heh

7. My last talent (*cough*) .....um....nevermind. :D

PS - Hey murbot. I used to be able to do that ninja thing too! That's fun, huh? Haven't tried it in awhile though.

Luca
2004-07-05, 21:58
I can turn my eyelids inside out using one hand on each eye. Can't manage to turn them both inside out using just one hand, though.

I can burp on command.

My tongue is so big that I can easily lick the tip of my nose. My dad can take this a step further and actually pick his nose with his tongue (if he so chooses; he'll sometimes run the tip of his tongue around the outsides of his nostrils just to gross people out).

I can make one of those stupid, sophomoric armpit fart sounds.

Yes, I learned most of these while I was in 5th-8th grade. Can't think of much else. Or anything unmentionable here either... though I would be interested to hear what, uh... chester and Carol are referring to.

thegelding
2004-07-05, 22:03
i can "one hand" clap...very loud...with either hand...silly thing, but it keeps the little kids entertained while i scan them...entertains the parents too...everyone leaves the ultrasound room trying to clap like that...

and i can touch my nose with my tongue...though i don't do that to entertain the kids....

g

Moogs
2004-07-05, 22:19
Do a dead-on Clinton impersonation (among a few others)... Once was at a rehersal dinner in Washington, and someone asked me to do the Clinton impression (he was in office then and just getting into hot water). So I started doing the Clinton thing with the mic we had... and the waiters and busboys all started peeking their heads into the private room we were in. Pretty funny.

Kickaha
2004-07-05, 22:34
Ooooh! I'll play!

I can balance almost anything under 20lbs on one finger. A broomstick, a chair, a dumbbell... don't ask me how, it just works. The chair is always a crowd pleaser.

I can dislocate both thumbs on command. Whoo.

Breathing fire is fun - just don't hiccup.

Carol - the head knocking thing? Got sent to the principal's office in 2nd grade for playing Yankee Doodle Dandy like that and claiming it was an example of a percussion instrument during music class. Morons.

I can vibrate my eyes. Freaks people out. It's fun.

I can wiggle my eyebrows. These puppies daaaaaaaaaance... heck, they're almost prehensile.

I can't do both at the same time, no matter how much I try.

I can put three heaping serving spoons of mashed potatoes in my mouth and still talk clearly. (I have a freakishly high upper palate.)

My freakishly high upper palate gives my singing great resonance.

I can stabilize a gyroscopic astronaut trainer in under 35 seconds, repeatedly. Most pilots are doing good if they do it under 60.

Wrao
2004-07-05, 22:39
Probably my most used 'talent' is that I can spin frisbees, pillows, books, DVD cases...etc. on my fingers, I can do a frisbee on any finger(not simultaneously) any direction, any hand, I can even do it upside down, I can toss it in the air and catch it again, does it between fingers, I can also roll it down my arm over my shoulder and down my other arm, but I am still trying to figure out how to incorporate that into the spinning routine.

strange that I'm so proficient with frisbee type spinning, but I'm pretty poor with basketball type spinning, which I can do, but no where near as well.

Windswept
2004-07-05, 23:11
Carol - the head knocking thing? Got sent to the principal's office in 2nd grade for playing Yankee Doodle Dandy like that and claiming it was an example of a percussion instrument during music class. Morons.
Hey Kicks. I got sent to the principal's office in second grade too - for beating up two boys on the playground. :lol: I can't remember why.

I can vibrate my eyes. Freaks people out. It's fun. I had a student this year who could do that. I really don't understand how it's done. Yeah, it freaked 'me' out, that's for sure. It's incredible! :eek:

I can put three heaping serving spoons of mashed potatoes in my mouth and still talk clearly. (I have a freakishly high upper palate.) Wow. This is amazing! I wish I could see you do this one.

I can stabilize a gyroscopic astronaut trainer in under 35 seconds, repeatedly. Most pilots are doing good if they do it under 60.Your spatial awareness and balance skills are very interesting. In education, we study all the different kinds of 'intelligences'/abilities, so we can reach kids via many different pathways. Btw, can you balance the spinning basketball? :)

alcimedes
2004-07-05, 23:17
i have the uncanny ability to tell when things are going to happen before they happen.

doesn't happen with any particular regularity, but when it does, it's rock solid and i'm sure. (like the night i told Argento he was going to get pulled over by a cop that night if he drove with his headlight out, after he'd been doing it for a week). sometimes, i just know.

i can drink anyone under the table.

dunno, a number of others that have already been listed, so no point listing them again.

oh yeah, and i can move my eyes independently of eachother.

and i can do that "draw a square with one hand, cirlce with the other" perfectly.

Bones3D
2004-07-06, 00:21
I used to be extremely double jointed in my younger years and could twist my body up like a pretzel. I'm not quite so flexible nowadays but I can still do some pretty odd things. I can fold my hands in half so they are the same diameter as my wrists, causing the joints on the left and right sides of each hand to touch one another. (No, I don't have a police record.)

I have an unusually high pain tolerance due to years of constant exposure to it in my childhood. Coupled with the fact that several spine surgeries and a broken neck have disabled most of my pain receiving nerves in about 3/4ths of my body, these areas have now a tolerance that could rival Darkman. I can still feel pressures and temperature differences, but I don't feel pain from them when those things come in excessive amounts. In a sense, I've had to re-learn what to interpret as "pain" in place of the actual thing. I also have to be careful to monitor my health in case of an internal injury. I wouldn't feel the injury itself, just the effects of having it. It's kinda disturbing when you think about it. I'm not paralyzed, but I have come very close to it.

I suppose my only other special talent might be luck. Despite the physical issues, I've been unusually fortunate in situations I probably shouldn't have been. It's hard to say whether it's a karma thing or if it's only mere coincidence, but I've learned to just let things work themselves out whenever possible. Preemptively worrying about something you can't control seems rather pointless to me. ;)

LoCash
2004-07-06, 00:26
(No, I don't have a police record.)

Clearly. You were obviously able to escape ;)

oldmacfan
2004-07-06, 01:02
I love to juggle, I can do 2,3,4.

I can spin a bar tray on any of my ten fingers ( on one leg, eyes closed, or dancing and singing ) I can even switch fingers and hands with ease.

I have an acute sense of taste that makes seasoned chefs envious(note I am not a chef).

In the 80's I was an extreme knee boarder. I stopped participating in the sport after face planting the water at over 60 mph.

crazychester
2004-07-06, 02:38
My cup runneth over!

I can knock on the top of my head, with my mouth open a certain way, and make my head sound like it's hollow. I'm totally sure everyone can do this, so it's not much of a talent really.
I've seen this done but can't do it. Therefore, it qualifies.

But I would dearly love to see this

I can do a great imitation of what a dust mite looks like (under a microscope).
and hear these

I can bark like a dog and cackle like a chicken - quite realistically. Oh, and when I was 10, I could make a call exactly like a ground squirrel, so that real ground squirrels would come up out of the ground, stand on their hind legs and look around.

I can turn my eyelids inside out using one hand on each eye.
This is another one of those ones that freak me out.

I can burp on command.
In my experience, all males can do this. They can also all fart on command. If you can burp and fart on command simultaneously then you may have something to brag about.

i can "one hand" clap...very loud...with either hand...
Alright, what is this? You keep going on about it so what's it all about? More to the point, what does it sound like?

Do a dead-on Clinton impersonation
With or without cigar?

Oh Kickaha I knew you'd have some doozies.

I can balance almost anything under 20lbs on one finger. A broomstick, a chair, a dumbbell... don't ask me how, it just works.
Now that is amazing. That's probably my favorite of your bunch.

I can dislocate both thumbs on command.
More freaky stuff. Been there, done that. Try harder.

Breathing fire is fun - just don't hiccup.
Now you're talkin'. As in mouth full of petrol or whatever it is fire breathers use?

I can vibrate my eyes.
I'm not sure what this means although Carol has apparently seen it before. What, like people with brain damage?

I can put three heaping serving spoons of mashed potatoes in my mouth and still talk clearly. (I have a freakishly high upper palate.)
Didn't your mother ever tell you not to speak with your mouth full?

And on that note, what the heck? I can't stand the idea of scatesy sitting there all day desperately checking his PMs. Besides I don't think it's that rude. It's not like I'm telling the dead fish fetish story or anything. Besides I'm dropping it in the middle of this long reply so only those who actually read my drivvle will be rewarded. And apparently, those who search about aimlessly deserve to be rewarded (I know, go figure; I don't get it either).

I can put a condom on with my mouth. No hands! (yes on a penis - what did you all think I meant, on my head - tho' that would be a neat trick). It's actually pretty easy once you've been shown the technique and had a few practice go's on plastic bananas.

Probably my most used 'talent' is that I can spin frisbees, pillows, books, DVD cases...etc. on my fingers, I can do a frisbee on any finger(not simultaneously) any direction, any hand, I can even do it upside down, I can toss it in the air and catch it again, does it between fingers, I can also roll it down my arm over my shoulder and down my other arm, but I am still trying to figure out how to incorporate that into the spinning routine.
Right now that you've decided to try I'll stop ignoring you. Hey! Half the planet can do that shit with a ball. Stand proud and tall frisbee spinner.

i have the uncanny ability to tell when things are going to happen before they happen.
Ooooh that's a good one. Handy too!

i can drink anyone under the table.
I'm a little perplexed as to what happened to murbot on this score. You still have no beer! What do we need to start a collection? Raid the Bribe Carol to Let Us Win the Poll Fund maybe?

I used to be extremely double jointed in my younger years and could twist my body up like a pretzel. I'm not quite so flexible nowadays but I can still do some pretty odd things.
Most males have very poor flexibility so this is something of which you can be rightly proud.

I suppose my only other special talent might be luck.
I have this one too. While I don't care much for astrology (sorry Carol) my brother is into it big time so I've had my horoscope done. It says something like "you aren't lucky in the usual sense of the word but you have a knack for doing the right thing at the right time". Whew!

I love to juggle, I can do 2,3,4.
Bugger!

In the 80's I was an extreme knee boarder. I stopped participating in the sport after face planting the water at over 60 mph.
Aside from the obvious (ie. face planting), what does it mean to be an "extreme knee boarder"?

Wrao
2004-07-06, 03:03
Right now that you've decided to try I'll stop ignoring you. Hey! Half the planet can do that shit with a ball. Stand proud and tall* frisbee spinner.

Well, I can do a bunch of basketball related tricks too, most of them involving my legs, I'm really good at juggling and stalls and stuff, comes from soccer I guess, but it's cool to do a hybrid sort of juggling with basketball moves and soccer moves.

I can juggle as well, like balls and stuff, I once juggled 3 full sized pumpkins at a halloween party. but then after a little while I dropped one and it shattered.

hmm...I can also do some gymnastics, which is kind of cool, considering *I'm 6'4. So like, Hand springs, cartwheels, round offs, hand stands, and hand stand push-ups. But those aren't really party tricks, though that doesn't stop me from doing a hand spring or hand stand from time to time. I can also walk with my legs bent outward...if that makes sense :lol:

Oh, and since Paul mentioned it earlier, I might as well too, I know tons and tons of bass player tricks, all the slap, tap double thumb, strum, harmonics, bends, hammer-ons, pull-offs, fingerstyle, finger picking, palm muting, false harmonics, super fast, super slow..etc. I got all those chops, but...eh. ;)

g mentioned how he can clap with one hand, so can I, pretty loud too, probably has something to do with my really long boney bass player fingers.

kickaha mentioned balancing pretty much anything under a specific weight, I'm pretty good at this too, though it's not 100%

Um, I have a 3 and a half octave vocal range, 2 1/2 in my regular voice and an octave in falsetto, that's a little bit special I guess.

:lol:

it's fun talking about yourself! hahaha

Mac+
2004-07-06, 03:35
I can suction my tongue to the roof of my mouth and make a loud "smacking-pop" sound upon release. I don't know how novel this is exactly, but quite a lot of my friends can't seem to do it and it does get attention. Most people ask to see me do a table-tennis (ping pong) impression. It was OK when I was a kid - but I'm pretty over it now. :shrugs:

Eugene
2004-07-06, 05:09
I can masturbate with Lava bar lather as lube.

Luca
2004-07-06, 06:43
In my experience, all males can do this. They can also all fart on command. If you can burp and fart on command simultaneously then you may have something to brag about.

Most males have very poor flexibility so this is something of which you can be rightly proud.

You may have to reconsider some of these stereotypes you have of men. I can't fart on command and I didn't learn how to burp until a few years ago. My mother is about as good as I am but she's been doing it for longer.

Also, I am quite flexible, especially given my build. I'm a bit overweight, and I just have a large frame anyway, so it's funny that during my high school fitness testing, I was always #1 among the guys for flexibility and near the top even among the girls, despite being near the back for most other events (i.e. running, pull-ups). I don't have extraordinary flexibility, but I'm pretty good if I do say so myself. I used to be able to touch my face to my knee, but I'm out of practice. And no, I cannot and have never been able to... uh... "reach myself down there."

Some people were mentioning some language ones. I can say, in Chinese, "Look! Look! Foreigners!" which is kind of funny.

stevegong
2004-07-06, 06:57
Ooooh! I'll play!

I can vibrate my eyes. Freaks people out. It's fun.

Yeah, but don't do it too much. I showed the optician this special ability and he told me that it's an easy way to rip the muscles that controls eye movement.

I can sing 2 distinct notes at the same time, the notes are different and are several octaves apart.

I once watched this programme on discovery talking about bigfoot or snowmen and they said that the sound produced certainly isn't human because humans can't sing 2 notes at the same time. bullshit.

alcimedes
2004-07-06, 08:16
oh yeah. as far as language goes the only spanish i speak consists of
"More" and
"I need to pee so badly my teeth are floating"

SKMDC
2004-07-06, 08:34
i can pop gum at, like a hundred decibels, it started a bar-fight once.

but my real talent came to light on the golf course, while waiting to tee off on a par 3 (while the morons ahead were no doubt taking five minutes to line up their 3-putts) i learned that i had an uncanny knack for balancing golf clubs on my nose. i can also do your brooms, mops, baseball bats, light chairs etc.

Luca
2004-07-06, 09:07
I'd be interested to hear how exactly you were able to start a bar fight by popping gum :lol:

stevegong
2004-07-06, 09:13
I'd be interested to hear how exactly you were able to start a bar fight by popping gum :lol:

Maybe he was also chewing his gum while raising his upper lip, exposing his teeth.

Man, I find that so fucking annoying. :mad:

murbot
2004-07-06, 11:26
I honestly didn't think to put down the burping thing. I can burp on command so easily, that I just thought everyone could...

Weird. :)

SKMDC
2004-07-06, 11:40

i was sitting in a joint and to keep from smoking i was chewing gum, and unfortunately if i'm chewing gum i'm popping it. i'll be the first to admit it's annoying as hell, but i was drunk as hell, popping away.
and they guy next to me is facing the other direction and says "jesus christ! whoever is popping their gum cut it the hell out"
so i leaned over and popped a loud one right behind his ear.
he wheels around on his stool (presumably, to kill me) but he knocks a waitresses' tray of beers right into this biker dude who proceeds to pummel him.
it was at the Jolly Roger in Rock Island Illinois in the late eighties.
good times good times......

Luca
2004-07-06, 11:43
:lol: sounds like you had some fun... good thing you didn't get killed!

SKMDC
2004-07-06, 11:44
oh i used to be able to put ten alka-seltzers in my mouth and pretend to have a seizure at really dull parties.

ummm....i don't drink anymore.

thuh Freak
2004-07-06, 11:50
I have wanted to be able to do this for so long just for the dramatic effect it creates. As an ear wiggler, I know it's just a matter of isolating the right muscles. But despite hours of practice, this formidable ability has eluded me. Sometimes I can do it spontaneously, by accident. But that's not the same as being able to do it at will.
my older sister was quite jealous of this little feat for some years, and determined herself to learn it. she practiced, often [but aparently not often enough...], infront of a mirror, and can now just barely inch one of them so its noticeably apart from th' other. i noticed my own ability when my mom did it once. she can only control one of hers though, i have both under my command. [evil laugh] i dont yet have the full agility of john belushi though.

thegelding
2004-07-06, 11:52
ha...i started a bar fight christmas night once...hanging out at a little dive nasty bar in a poor section of baltimore...we didn't live too close to it, but it was "our" hang out and we were there most nights...anyway...that night some other bars in the neighborhood were closed, so locals from other bars were there...one was fairly drunk with his buddies and was going around from table to table getting people to sing christmas songs with him...he came to our table and we wouldn't sing, we just keep talking amongts ourselves and ignored him...pissed him off and he started ranting about us coming to "his" neighborhood and "his" bar and blah blah blah...so i get in his face telling him this is our fucking bar and we only fucking sing when and what we want to sing...etc...meanwhile his friends come up behind we and try to hit me over the head with a bottle...ha, like i haven't been in situations like that before...saw them coming easily....got a little freaky after that, but all ended well...marge, the bartender, came over with her baseball bat and kicked them out before anyone got too hurt....she always liked me, liked me more after that

g

oldmacfan
2004-07-06, 11:58
My cup runneth over!

I've seen this done but can't do it. Therefore, it qualifies.

But I would dearly love to see this

and hear these

This is another one of those ones that freak me out.

Alright, what is this? You keep going on about it so what's it all about? More to the point, what does it sound like?

With or without cigar?

Oh Kickaha I knew you'd have some doozies.

Now that is amazing. That's probably my favorite of your bunch.

More freaky stuff. Been there, done that. Try harder.

Now you're talkin'. As in mouth full of petrol or whatever it is fire breathers use?

I'm not sure what this means although Carol has apparently seen it before. What, like people with brain damage?

Didn't your mother ever tell you not to speak with your mouth full?

And on that note, what the heck? I can't stand the idea of scatesy sitting there all day desperately checking his PMs. Besides I don't think it's that rude. It's not like I'm telling the dead fish fetish story or anything. Besides I'm dropping it in the middle of this long reply so only those who actually read my drivvle will be rewarded. And apparently, those who search about aimlessly deserve to be rewarded (I know, go figure; I don't get it either).

I can put a condom on with my mouth. No hands! (yes on a penis - what did you all think I meant, on my head - tho' that would be a neat trick). It's actually pretty easy once you've been shown the technique and had a few practice go's on plastic bananas.

Right now that you've decided to try I'll stop ignoring you. Hey! Half the planet can do that shit with a ball. Stand proud and tall frisbee spinner.

Ooooh that's a good one. Handy too!

I'm a little perplexed as to what happened to murbot on this score. You still have no beer! What do we need to start a collection? Raid the Bribe Carol to Let Us Win the Poll Fund maybe?

I have this one too. While I don't care much for astrology (sorry Carol) my brother is into it big time so I've had my horoscope done. It says something like "you aren't lucky in the usual sense of the word but you have a knack for doing the right thing at the right time". Whew!

Bugger!

Aside from the obvious (ie. face planting), what does it mean to be an "extreme knee boarder"?
Normal knee boarding is done on short ropes (50ft or so) behind slow boats (20-25 mph).

What I was duing was on ropes or 100 ft or more and at speeds above 40 mph.

Higher speed, longer rope, looking for bigger waves = higher and longer jumps.

Luca
2004-07-06, 13:10
Ah, I forgot another thing I can do. I can bend my finger 90 degrees so it cuts off my control of it, then wiggle it around loosely with another finger. This seems to work best with my left pinkey, and it doesn't work at all with my right pinkey or my thumbs, but it works to some extent on all the others.

I didn't think it was that big a deal but people always seem surprised when I'm able to make the tip of my pinkey finger go totally limp.

Powerdoc
2004-07-06, 13:21
I expect that you are not very tall, otherwise you should looks like a people suffering of the Marfan disease (ligamentar hyperlaxity).

Luca
2004-07-06, 13:32
Marfan disease? I know someone who has that... he's really, really tall. About 6'4" (193 cm). But he also has a lot of other symptoms. This is just a thing I can do. You really think that could be the cause?

Powerdoc
2004-07-06, 14:12
Marfan disease? I know someone who has that... he's really, really tall. About 6'4" (193 cm). But he also has a lot of other symptoms. This is just a thing I can do. You really think that could be the cause?

A symptom alone, worth nothing in medecine. Otherwise each pain would mean cancer ...

Marfan people may have Aorta anevrysm : something dangerous IMO.
If you hyperlaxity is limited to your fingers only , it means nothing. Marfan affect some elastic fiber of the entire corpse : all ligaments (elbow, shoulder, knee ...)

Ryan
2004-07-06, 15:16
I can do the 90˚ thumb thing, but only with my left hand.

I almost always can guess what episode of a TV show is going to be on that night.

crazychester
2004-07-06, 16:32
I can't do the quote thing anymore. It's too much effort. You lot wet yourselves over all the cool features the board's got while I sit here grumbling to myself "why can't we just keep it to 3 buttons - register, post reply and forum jump".

So now I feel totally inadequate as a juggler. Alcimedes weird foreign phrase trumps mine so comprehensively, I'm screwed on that one too. The ear wiggling thing was always a bit of a let down.

But I've still got my secret removalist knots! And the other thing! (At least until Carol turns up and tells me she can do it using her right ear, with her hands tied behind her back and while standing on her head.)

Robot Woah! Nah didn't need to tell ya to stand tall. :)

Mac+ I'm pretty sure you could claim to have a detailed knowledge of every popular television programme produced in the last 30 years.

Luca damn you young things are so sensitive! If you could get your knee near your face with your leg straight, I'm impressed. Otherwise, like I said, most males aren't very flexible. :p

I suspect the guitar players, skmdc and stevegong could make beautiful music together.

...so i get in his face telling him this is our fucking bar and we only fucking sing when and what we want to sing...etc...
Oooh. The g turns mean. And OK, I get the one hand clapping thing now. Except now, in my head, the g and Robot have got hands like ET. Which is a bit creepy. Especially when Robot already has a face like Kryton from Red Dwarf and bolts sticking out the side of his neck.

And Kickaha I'm going to borrow your idea (OK steal then) and do a bastardchild.com version of my ai sig. However, it's really Eugene who inspired it. And I forgot to put it in before starting this post dammit. Anyway, it shall be "Pumice powered penises don't grow on trees either."

I think we've just about got enough talent here to start our own circus act.

Luca
2004-07-06, 19:48
Luca damn you young things are so sensitive! If you could get your knee near your face with your leg straight, I'm impressed. Otherwise, like I said, most males aren't very flexible. :p

Hey, I wasn't mad at you at all. Maybe it's because I had a bad day, but I didn't mean to come off as offended.

Yes, I agree that most men are not very flexible. My dad and brother are truly amazing - I can't imagine not being able to grab my toes with my legs straight! Again, I used to be a lot better, but I can still grip my toes securely with my fingers. A few years ago I was able to wrap my hands all the way around my feet, and hold my feet by the arches. Pretty impressive even for a woman I'd think!

I'm going to try to get in the habit of stretching every morning and evening. I dunno, I have a hard time doing that sort of thing but I should try. Should help me exercise better and for longer periods of time.

Eugene
2004-07-06, 20:00
I can do the 90˚ thumb thing, but only with my left hand.

I almost always can guess what episode of a TV show is going to be on that night.
Speaking of the thumb thing. I can do the 180 degree thumb thing where I bend it sideways so that the nail still faces up but the thumb points back toward the wrist. :D

Bones3D
2004-07-06, 21:50
I expect that you are not very tall, otherwise you should looks like a people suffering of the Marfan disease (ligamentar hyperlaxity).

The correct term is actually Marfans Syndrome. Unlike a disease, it can not be transmitted... only passed down to the next generation through genetics.

This is actually why I've been so flexible most of my life and have needed all the spine surgeries. According to genetic testing, Abraham Lincoln had Marfans, which explains why he was so tall and thin.

The condition has a few benefits, such as a high metabolism that keeps weight down and the extra flexibility stuff, but there are a lot of negatives too. For example, the body starts to deteriorate at a younger age similar to a senior citizen. (At only 26 years of age, I already have several joints out of place and broken ligaments all over the place.) Also, the condition can lead to serious eye and heart problems, such as bursting the aorta and easily detaching retinas. Finally, the average lifespan is approximately 45 years, depending on how active the person is.

Overall, it's not fun, but it should not be feared by others as though it were a disease. It can't be "caught" or cause cancer, etc in others.

thegelding
2004-07-06, 22:06
Oooh. The g turns mean. And OK, I get the one hand clapping thing now. Except now, in my head, the g and Robot have got hands like ET. Which is a bit creepy. .

ehh...i'm usually a sweetheart...much more a lover than a fighter...but i'm irish and i don't like people messing with me when i'm drinking...and i love a good bar fight

and actually, though i hate to admit this because of the jokes that may follow, but i have very average sized hands with average fingers...it is the way the pads of the fingers hit the meat of your palm...not sure of all the dynamics, but it is almost as loud as two hands clapping and i can do it fairly fast...maybe all bass players can do it...i played bass for a number of years in a band...

so, in conclusion...average hand size, but i have big feet dear and you know what that means...i also have big....shoes

g

thegelding
2004-07-06, 22:14
sorry to hear that bones...make sure you keep your checkups...

how often do you have an echocardiogram?? any aortic dilatation? (you don't have to answer any of these questions if you don't want)...

do you have lens problems (subluxation of the lenses of the eyes)?

good luck and take care

g

ps...you don't know me well like many here at the boards...i work in pediatric cardiology and we have many patients with marfans...how old were you when they found out?

Spart
2004-07-06, 22:20
The correct term is actually Marfans Syndrome. Unlike a disease, it can not be transmitted... only passed down to the next generation through genetics.

You'll have to forgive Powerdoc. While he is a doctor, he's also French, and though he does know what he's talking about, sometimes it doesn't translate well.

:smokey:

billybobsky
2004-07-06, 22:24
sorry to hear that bones...make sure you keep your checkups...

how often do you have an echocardiogram?? any aortic dilatation? (you don't have to answer any of these questions if you don't want)...

do you have lens problems (subluxation of the lenses of the eyes)?

good luck and take care

g

ps...you don't know me well like many here at the boards...i work in pediatric cardiology and we have many patients with marfans...how old were you when they found out?

g, i am sorry but i am having a hard time reconciling all that i know about you from the boards and what you do in real life... gah.. my mind spins...

in any event... special talents... hmm... i have an unmistakable ability to seed thoughts into other people's heads... i use it for good though, only good...

Bones3D
2004-07-06, 23:02
No offense taken. ;)

I just wanted to make the difference known to the others in case there was any confusion in the terminology.

InactionMan
2004-07-06, 23:13
I'm pretty good at knowing what song will be played next on the radio. I can also take a drag off a cig and exhale it a few minutes later. I'm not sure how this works though. Do I inhale wrong and the smokes hides in my stomach? Shouldn't my lungs just absorb all the delicious cancer plumes? Anyway, fun to do now that Toronto has gone non-smoking.

billybobsky
2004-07-06, 23:26
I'm pretty good at knowing what song will be played next on the radio. I can also take a drag off a cig and exhale it a few minutes later. I'm not sure how this works though. Do I inhale wrong and the smokes hides in my stomach? Shouldn't my lungs just absorb all the delicious cancer plumes? Anyway, fun to do now that Toronto has gone non-smoking.

if you take a huff and don't follow up with a deep breath a great deal of that smoke (and the white dispersive particulates) will remain in your mouth and larynx/bronchial tubes so this isn't that big of a surprise.

InactionMan
2004-07-07, 00:17
But it doesn't stay in my mouth, I inhale it. It's like puking on command. I can carry on a normal conversation then suddenly barf up smoke. Any sort of logical explanation will disappoint me, I was hoping that I was turning into a wizard.

thegelding
2004-07-07, 00:58
when i was a kid there was a ocean side carnival amusement park area with games and such...one of the games was a white rat was put in a tin cup in the middle of a spinning disk with multiple holes around the outside of the disc...the cup would be lifted and the rat would run into one of the holes...you had to guess the right hole to win...i would guess right everytime, never missing once...i always knew which hole the rat would run into...i won so many prizes that i couldn't carry them all, so they never let me play again

g

Mac+
2004-07-07, 01:00
Mac+ I'm pretty sure you could claim to have a detailed knowledge of every popular television programme produced in the last 30 years.
Thanks Maddy ;) - but I didn't think that was much of a big deal.

I'm more impressed actually, by my ability to name a multitude of ads produced by and sung by Mike Brady. (aussie reference here)... Let me start you off:

"Oh you can't beat a SAO, you can't beat a SAO, you can't beat a SAO for a snack"

Feel free to add to it ;)

Powerdoc
2004-07-07, 01:18

This is actually why I've been so flexible most of my life and have needed all the spine surgeries. According to genetic testing, Abraham Lincoln had Marfans, which explains why he was so tall and thin.

The condition has a few benefits, such as a high metabolism that keeps weight down and the extra flexibility stuff, but there are a lot of negatives too. For example, the body starts to deteriorate at a younger age similar to a senior citizen. (At only 26 years of age, I already have several joints out of place and broken ligaments all over the place.) Also, the condition can lead to serious eye and heart problems, such as bursting the aorta and easily detaching retinas. Finally, the average lifespan is approximately 45 years, depending on how active the person is.

Overall, it's not fun, but it should not be feared by others as though it were a disease. It can't be "caught" or cause cancer, etc in others.

You are right, I am not an english native speaker, and sometimes I don't choose the exact term. In this case the french word syndrome is exactly like the english one : I have no excuses

Of course it's not transmitted, and I expect that nobody have this weird idear. Sorry for this confusion and sorry if I hurted you.

Powerdoc
2004-07-07, 01:26
You'll have to forgive Powerdoc. While he is a doctor, he's also French, and though he does know what he's talking about, sometimes it doesn't translate well.

:smokey:

Thanks, and sometimes I try to translate, words that do not need to be translated like Marfan.
Furthermore, the last time was interested in Marfan was in 1990 when I passed the competitive examination that open the doors of medical specialities.

curiousuburb
2004-07-07, 10:48
Ear wiggling: check.
Scalp wiggling: check.
Nostril flaring: check.
Tongue tricks - touch nose/chin: check.
Tongue tricks - U shape: check.
Tongue tricks - flip: check.
Tongue tricks - tie cherry stem: check.
Spock eyebrows: check.

I do an impressive flag imitation that appears to defy gravity.

Picture a street sign or fixed vertical pole under about 3 inches diameter.

I can grab it with my hands and leverage my body to a perfectly perpendicular position... level with the ground three feet up in the air.

Most people cannot do this and hold it for any length of time.

* Warning: this post may contain opportunities for double entendres. *
:devil:

GSpotter
2004-07-07, 16:43
And the other thing! (At least until Carol turns up and tells me she can do it using her right ear, with her hands tied behind her back and while standing on her head.) Sorry to disappoint you, but "the other thing" (at least in the standard form, not your "Carol's variation") is not so special. My wife did this too and I'm pretty sure that you are not my wife ;)

As to my tricks: I can do a bit (3 ball) juggling, though I didn't practice for years. I can wiggle with the first link of my middle finger (keeping the rest of the finger stiff. I can also bend my finger back until my fingernail is nearly parallel to the back of my hand. As a kid, i was rather flexible. (My fingers and wrist are also quite thin)

SonOfSylvanus
2004-07-07, 17:55
Ooh, ooh... I'm bendy too: with my legs straight, I can bend down and kiss both my... knees. I can rest my knuckles on the ground with straight legs, aswell. I'd recommend stretching just twice a day for 15 minutes or so to everyone. I'm generally quite fit, but only recently have I been concentrating on improving my flexibility. Since I started stretching regularly, I can now do both things above, which I couldn't do before.

I can do the eyebrow dancing thing really well. I learnt it off my brother - stood in front of the mirror practising and suddenly I could just do it. I learnt juggling off my (other) brother aswell. Only 2/3 balls though. I can flare my nostrils.

Erm... how depressing - I can't think of anything else...

crazychester
2004-07-08, 04:19
pediatric cardiology
g question: Do you wear bow ties at work?

Mac+ the best I can do:

Up there Cazaly, in there and fight
Out there and at 'em, show 'em your might
Up there Cazaly, don't let 'em in
Fly like an angel, you're out there to win

GSpotter your wife is the second one I've heard of. Excuse me while I go sulk for a bit......

Over it now because I still have my secret removalist knots!

Anybody hypnotize chickens?

Mac+
2004-07-08, 04:39
chester maate

In addition to SAO* and Up There Cazaly - he is also the distinctive voice behind these jingles...

"SPC Baked beans and spaghetti for hungry little human beans"
"Arnotts shapes have such as lot of taste - such a lot taste for such a little biscuit."
"Dodo, dodo - internet that flies... at $9.90 per month connect yourself with Dodo."

Did any of these ring a bell?

Remember to sing them in a big melodramatic baritone voice with plenty of verve and gusto. ;)

He also advertised for Toyota and Bib Stillwell Ford - but I can't recall the exact lyrics.

Anyway, there's some easy trivia points (beers?) for you now! (... a sure way to impress any Aussie male - tongue planted firmly in cheek :p )

*what the heck... it cracks me up:

"Oh you can't beat a SAO, you can't beat a SAO, you can't beat a SAO for a snack.
SAO brings out the flavour of any food you savour, you can't beat a SAO for a snack.
Cos it's thick and nice with a size just right - to take any topping 'YOU LIKE!'
So, reach for a pack - of Arnott's SAO biscuits - cos you can't beat a SAO for a snack!" :lol:

SAO - named, I think, in honour of a Salvation Army Officer.

Eugene
2004-07-08, 04:53
The 180 degree thumb trick.

http://stupidest.net/~ceugene/thumb.jpg

It's more an exercise in tolerating pain than flexibility. My thumb is going to feel weird for the next 30 minutes or so.

Mac+
2004-07-08, 05:09
FREAKY!!! :wow:

Eugene
2004-07-08, 05:24
FREAKY!!! :wow:
:D

It's my superhero quality. I could be The Thumbscrew.

Victim: Thumbscrew help!! That man just stole my purse!!
Me: Ma'am, calm down and get a load of this. *bends thumb around*
Victim: Uhhh, he's getting away.
Me: Lady, are you even watching??
Victim: ...

I will find you, and then I will screw you!

iBrowse
2004-07-08, 06:26
Breathing fire was already mentioned, but I improved on it after a night of hard work and a few mild burns (well in my eyes it's an improvement) with the 'support' of a couple friends. We were drinking Devil Springs vodka, fairly cheap and 160 proof, and we had already learned that it could easily be lit on fire, since we had known it was easily done with Bacardi 151 for quite a while. While breathing fire with it was fun, I decided that it would be much cooler and exciting if I could pour it on my hand (in the shape of the "hook 'em horns"/metal sign), light it, and blow the fire off my hand instead of a piece of paper/torch. I don't know if it really counts as a talent though, as I have never done it sober.

Raising just one eyebrow I can do, never saw the difficulty in it.

I can curl my tongue and fold it up in that 'U' shape, which I heard was genetic, anybody know if that's true?

I can 'French inhale' smoke, I don't think it's all special really, but people that think it's cool but can't do it get pissed off, so that's cool.

In high school I had a study hall monitored by my math teacher who was very good at juggling, if everybody in the room promised they had no work to do he would try to teach us how to juggle. He had some kind of cancer that led to him having radiation therapy that ended up destroying his saliva glands, so he had to constantly carry around a bottle of water. He decided it was ok to break the rules of study hall and let us practice juggling because he felt 'life can be too short to sit around quietly'. Unfortunately, he had to leave during the school year to go to California for treatment and never came back. I wish at least one of us in there had learned to juggle from that, just to show him that his time and passion had not been wasted. :(

A friend of mine can eat an apple in under 20 seconds. He does this thing where he holds his hands out flat, facing each other, holding the apple between them. He moves his hands around in opposite direction circles violently fast, and just pushes his mouth into it real fast, biting, chewing, and swallowing as fast as possible, before you know it he just stops; holding only the apple's core. I have tried it so many times but only got chunks of core in my teeth, apple slobber all over my face, and the rest of amy apple falls on the floor. It's quite amazing to see him do it in person.

I can do that 'scalp wiggle' thing too, but I never really understood how somebody couldn't.

dviant
2004-07-08, 12:54
Hrm... lets see... I can vibrate my eyes, flare my nostrils and make popping sounds with my wrists and ankles on command (I'm sure that last one isn't a good thing). I can juggle too.

I'm also pretty good at mimicking the funny trilling purr-meows that my cats make.

But my really outstanding talent that I can make really damn fine fart noises by blowing on skin (arms etc). Can also do some pretty good squeakers without the use of skin, but they aren't nearly as juicy. The squeakers are good to make it look like someone "accidently let one slip". :o :lol:

Koodari
2004-07-08, 13:10
My only party trick that comes to mind is to shuffle a deck of cards using one hand only. I stretch pretty well (no freaky joints though) and can hold breath for well over three minutes, but these aren't much of party tricks. I'd very much like to learn the flag imitation and a bit of gymnastics. I have enough strength for handstand pushups (supported against a wall), but haven't practiced handstand enough to maintain it for any length of time.

I have friends that are pretty good at opening beer bottles using match box / cigarette lighter / another beer bottle / whatever as bottle opener. I can do some of this but it's awkward. If I found one cheap, I'd buy a steel ring to open bottles with. That gives a good surprise effect, looks almost like you're opening a bottle with a cupped hand only. (to picture this, consider the ring goes on middle finger, cup your hand, imagine a bottle underneath and you'll figure it out)

How long does it take for you to empty a beer bottle, BTW?

thegelding
2004-07-08, 13:36
chester...

no bow ties...actually i dress very very casual...i have explained that i need the kids to like me and not fear me...i never wear a white coat or scrubs (except in the OR of course)...

if i get called in on the weekends i often come in shorts...they are lucky i am even there so i dare them to complain about my attair....

plus i am just so damn sexy that i get away with murder

g

Alex London
2004-07-08, 13:38
I have no special talent except the ability to brighten a room just by leaving it but I was sitting next to a friend in a pub once who suddenly said that he had just remembered that when he was 17 he was able to auto-fellate. Yes, my first thought was also, how does one forget that you have the ability to do that? The next question was why did he stop, bad back, shrinkage, hallitosis, requests from other bus-users? I can't remember his answers as it was a bit of a beery night.

Moogs
2004-07-08, 14:03
I forgot one: I can tee a golf ball on top of drinking straws, perch them in thorny weed branchings (say 2 feet off the ground)... and smack the thing straight as an arrow, often approaching 300 yards... though sometimes it's hard to be sure how far because I'm hitting the ball across a huge marsh, river, wetland, etc. Fairways are for sissies, right Murbot?

I can also put a ball into low earth orbit with a baseball bat.

Powerdoc
2004-07-08, 14:11
I forgot one: I can tee a golf ball on top of drinking straws, perch them in thorny weed branchings (say 2 feet off the ground)... and smack the thing straight as an arrow, often approaching 300 yards... though sometimes it's hard to be sure how far because I'm hitting the ball across a huge marsh, river, wetland, etc. Fairways are for sissies, right Murbot?

I can also put a ball into low earth orbit with a baseball bat.

I can throw my sandwedge at 150 feet ! :D

Wickers
2004-07-08, 14:31
I can crack my wrists whenever I want. . . over and over again if I wish.. . as well as my anckles. It really freaks out my friends.

I also have a special talent for fixing computers. It's just so easy for me.

Moogs
2004-07-08, 14:32
Hey that's pretty freakin good, Powerdoc. I think you, Murbot, myself and one other lucky bastard should make a tee time this summer. Murbot's rule is beer a hole, but I think a beer every three holes is sufficient for all-around good times.

;)

murbot
2004-07-08, 14:33
This isn't NEARLY as neat as Eugene's photo... but here's my thumb thing (http://homepage.mac.com/murbot/.Movies/thumb.mp4). (2.2MB)

I think that's last year. An iMac on that silver desk... probably a good 11 or 12 computers ago!

Moogs
2004-07-08, 14:35
:lol: Ow... even if Eugene's was nastier.

murbot
2004-07-08, 14:44
How long does it take for you to empty a beer bottle, BTW?

As long as it takes to pour.

Moogs
2004-07-08, 14:52
Murbot the Human Beer-funnel.

Wrao
2004-07-08, 16:18
This isn't NEARLY as neat as Eugene's photo... but here's my thumb thing (http://homepage.mac.com/murbot/.Movies/thumb.mp4). (2.2MB)

I think that's last year. An iMac on that silver desk... probably a good 11 or 12 computers ago!

:eek: :confused: :lol: :D :cool: :wow: :smokey:

Windswept
2004-07-08, 16:45
Okay, a couple more.

In addition to my barking dog, cackling hen, and terrifying dust-mite imitations, I do primo examples of:

1) the sound a pig makes while blissing out in a mud wallow :lol:

2) an impressive portrayal of a female lowland gorilla, with appropriate facial expressions and long, loose, swinging arms. I prefer to think of this as a lowland gorilla as opposed to a chimp, because chimps have SO little dignity...you know it's true (as pscates would say. :) )

Moogs
2004-07-08, 17:35

Carol you frighten me.

Dust mite immitation? Seriously though, I would like to see video footage of the lowland mountain gorilla bit... it may have Aldo Nova Oscar potential.

Windswept
2004-07-08, 18:44

Carol you frighten me.

Dust mite immitation? Seriously though, I would like to see video footage of the lowland mountain gorilla bit... it may have Aldo Nova Oscar potential.
Hey Moogs! Oh, *don't* be frightened. I'm actually incredibly sweet and cuddly (when I wanna be :D ) (especially after a few beers...haha :lol: ) ....*not* scary at ALL! :)

The dust mite (as seen through a microscope) was shown on a National Geographic Special - or a similar type program - about 7 years ago. The program showed all the creatures that reside on or near the human body. It was pretty shocking, actually. I'm so sorry I don't have a copy of it, because I absolutely love showing stuff like that to gross out my students. (They *love* being grossed out, btw, or I wouldn't do it. heh) Since I didn't have the program to show them, I had to 'act it out' a bit :lol: - in the course of my lecture on why they should keep their sheets and pillowcases clean (and washed with bleach)....regarding allergies and the inhalation of dust-mite excreta. You don't really think I do dust mite imitations just at random, with no purpose in mind??? :D Jr. High teachers have to be highly resourceful in this day and age of massive budget cuts and diminishing supplies. I haven't yet had to do the dance of the seven veils, but one never knows what the future holds. ;)

Ooo....just thought of a few more:

3) I can make the tortured sounds of cats having sex :lol:

4) I can use my hands and thighs to make the sound of a galloping horse. (I'm sure everyone can do this, however, so no big deal.)

5) I can do some great crazy walks; one involves tiptoeing sneakily, all hunched-up, as in cartoons; the other is hard to describe, but involves the legs stretched out straight and the body tilting back and forth while walking stiffly, all in a very exaggerated manner. I know they sound stupid, but people used to crack up when I would do these. I think I was 12 at the time.

PS - if you quit saying 'Aldo Nova', I will strive mightily to refrain from posting a poll. I can't make any promises, mind; but I will make a sincere effort to restrain myself. (C'mon, Moogs...don't you think polls are kinda fun ? NO? Sheesh. :rolleyes: ;) )

Moogs
2004-07-08, 19:01
Sorry but you know this new name of ours... it just takes some getting used to. Has that sort of cheesy 80's Knight Rider ring to it. I was hoping for maybe that AppleIncitor option or the Reality Distortion Forums (though I am biased with regards to that one).

You can't tell me you didn't jam to some Aldo Nova back in the day Carol... come on... fess up.

crazychester
2004-07-08, 19:50
no bow ties...

Must be an Australian thing. All Australian pediatricians wear bow ties. And because men rarely wear bow ties these days, if you see a guy in a bow tie in this country you can just about guarantee he's a pediatrician. I've made a study of it.

I don't think it's got anything to do with the clown guy. Just a practical way to avoid strangulation. Although they are rather partial to large, brightly coloured ones.

I wear my Stress Reducing Fake Koala Ears™.

Kickaha
2004-07-08, 19:52
It's more an exercise in tolerating pain than flexibility. My thumb is going to feel weird for the next 30 minutes or so.

I wanna see a picture where I can see *both* edges of your hand. ;)

curiousuburb
2004-07-08, 20:54
Hey Moogs! Oh, *don't* be frightened. I'm actually incredibly sweet and cuddly (when I wanna be :D ) (especially after a few beers...haha :lol: ) ....*not* scary at ALL! :)

The dust mite (as seen through a microscope) was shown on a National Geographic Special - or a similar type program - about 7 years ago. The program showed all the creatures that reside on or near the human body. It was pretty shocking, actually. I'm so sorry I don't have a copy of it, because I absolutely love showing stuff like that to gross out my students. (They *love* being grossed out, btw, or I wouldn't do it. heh) Since I didn't have the program to show them, I had to 'act it out' a bit :lol: - in the course of my lecture on why they should keep their sheets and pillowcases clean (and washed with bleach)....regarding allergies and the inhalation of dust-mite excreta. You don't really think I do dust mite imitations just at random, with no purpose in mind??? :D Jr. High teachers have to be highly resourceful in this day and age of massive budget cuts and diminishing supplies. I haven't yet had to do the dance of the seven veils, but one never knows what the future holds. ;)

If you're interested, you might check out this book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0791066193/qid=1089337511/sr=8-14/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i14_xgl14/002-2521183-6734403?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)... IIRC, this or one very similar might have been the source for the teevee special.

Ooo....just thought of a few more:

3) I can make the tortured sounds of cats having sex :lol:

4) I can use my hands and thighs to make the sound of a galloping horse. (I'm sure everyone can do this, however, so no big deal.)

"That's not a horse... you're just banging two coconut halves together." </montypythonandtheholygrail>

5) I can do some great crazy walks; one involves tiptoeing sneakily, all hunched-up, as in cartoons; the other is hard to describe, but involves the legs stretched out straight and the body tilting back and forth while walking stiffly, all in a very exaggerated manner. I know they sound stupid, but people used to crack up when I would do these. I think I was 12 at the time.

check my profile pic :D </johncleese>

PS - if you quit saying 'Aldo Nova', I will strive mightily to refrain from posting a poll. I can't make any promises, mind; but I will make a sincere effort to restrain myself. (C'mon, Moogs...don't you think polls are kinda fun ? NO? Sheesh. :rolleyes: ;) )

Is that a thumbs down on Chevy Nova, too? Not sure which is more square.

Eugene
2004-07-08, 21:54
I wanna see a picture where I can see *both* edges of your hand. ;)
I'll make a video. It's not an illusion. :p

_Ω_
2004-07-08, 22:19
I'll make a video. It's not an illusion. :p

Yay, a video! :)

drewprops
2004-07-08, 22:20
You guys are freaks....FREAKS I tell you!

I don't know if I can do anything as cool...I guess licking my eyebrows is about as good as it gets...is that a talent?

Moogs
2004-07-08, 22:46
Holy shit, you can lick your eyebrows?? I've heard of being able to touch the tip of one's nose with their tongue... but their eyebrows? DAMN. Either you are one Peter Gallagher (http://www.the-oc.org/images/peter/promo/09.jpg) looking Mo-fo, or you are the object of every woman's cunnilingual desires.

:wow: :D

curiousuburb
2004-07-08, 23:12
You guys are freaks....FREAKS I tell you!

I don't know if I can do anything as cool...I guess licking my eyebrows is about as good as it gets...is that a talent?

Those aren't eyebrows... (unless we're talking Unibrow (http://www.mattstryker.com))... that's a moustache.

http://www.carneycenter.com/images/unibrow.jpg :p

And hey... how much for that Brooklyn Bridge you've got on special?

Eugene
2004-07-08, 23:49
clicky (http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ceugene/adm/thumb.mov)

GSpotter
2004-07-09, 00:41
5) I can do some great crazy walks; one involves tiptoeing sneakily, all hunched-up, as in cartoons; the other is hard to describe, but involves the legs stretched out straight and the body tilting back and forth while walking stiffly, all in a very exaggerated manner. Maybe you should work here (http://www.mwscomp.com/mpfc/silwalk.html) :lol:

Bones3D
2004-07-09, 06:57
Ok, sorry it took me a while to get back to this thread, but I can answer a few questions about the marfans stuff that were posed earlier. ;)

I do have echos done annually and take blood pressure medications, but at the moment, these measures are mostly preventative.

I do have eye problems. My retinas are fine, but there are other issues common to marfans relating to the eyes. For example, my eyeballs have a somewhat unusual internal pressure that causes them to bulge out a bit further than they should. I'm not entirely sure how it's relevent, but my eye doctor does monitor it carefully. I'm also near-sighted.

thegelding
2004-07-09, 08:14
Ok, sorry it took me a while to get back to this thread, but I can answer a few questions about the marfans stuff that were posed earlier. ;)

I do have echos done annually and take blood pressure medications, but at the moment, these measures are mostly preventative.

I do have eye problems. My retinas are fine, but there are other issues common to marfans relating to the eyes. For example, my eyeballs have a somewhat unusual internal pressure that causes them to bulge out a bit further than they should. I'm not entirely sure how it's relevent, but my eye doctor does monitor it carefully. I'm also near-sighted.

glad the echos are preventative and not watching an already enlarged aorta...may it stay that way for years and years

do your lens "jiggle"? and i understand your avatar now http://www.bones3d.com/think/gendo.gif

congrats on your new site bones...very nice job young man

g

Bones3D
2004-07-09, 16:31
No lens jiggling here. Likewise, I'm also hoping the aorta situation does change anytime soom either.

The story behind my avatar may be a bit different from your interpretation. The character is from the Japanese animated series, Neon Genesis Evangelion. Normally he is regarded as a very manipulative and hateful person that has no issues about committing various atrocities to reach his goals, even if it means sacrificing friends or relatives to do it

My own take on him though, is that he is not necessarily evil, but is a tragic bad guy who merely uses his power to lash out at the world over his losses. He's not an emotional character though and is very cold and calculating in every action he makes. (Which is why so many people hate him and what he represents.)

I guess in some ways, I associate myself with that kind of mind set. I generally have two personalities when dealing with others. The first being my normal, jovial self with a pretty good sense of humor. The second being completely serious and logical to the point that I'm almost impossible to confront on an equal level. The latter gets really frightening once I start employing psychological warfare tactics. (I go straight for the ego like a shark after the smell of blood.)

I've actually wondered how well I'd do as a lawyer, given that aspect of myself.

sunrain
2004-07-09, 18:09
I just finished composing my first opera. Does that count? Not exactly a party trick.

drewprops
2004-07-09, 20:44
I'd say so, but I finished my first screenplay this past November and am trying to make things happen soon. Of course, at YOUR party the girls are all dressed really fine and everybody's drinking champagne! ;)

Kickaha
2004-07-10, 01:35
clicky (http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ceugene/adm/thumb.mov)

OK dude, you win, you're a freak. :)

Eugene
2004-07-10, 02:13
OK dude, you win, you're a freak. :)

Zodiac
2004-07-13, 16:36
Getting girls to make out in front of me.

fhqwghads
2005-03-07, 20:58
I beat the crud out of anybody. I can:

• Cross my eyes
• Cross one eye at a time
• Turn my eyelids inside-out
• Flare my nostrils
• Raise one eyebrow
• Vibrate one eye violently in it’s socket, but only while crossing the other
• Roll my tongue
• Fold my tongue into thirds or fourths
• Rotate my tongue until it’s sideways or upside-down
• Show the whites of my eyes
• Pop my shoulder out of it’s socket (not dislocation, I’m not sure what I’m really doing to it)
• Double-jointed in my thumbs
• Hyper-flexible in all my fingers in that I can bend the top segment back almost 90 degrees
• Double-jointed in my middle fingers in that if I stick one straight up, I can snap it back and forth (it’s hard to explain – I can do the same thing with my jaw, going from open to closed or closed to open really fast)
• Make the veins in my neck pop out really far so it looks like a tree stump

Yes, I’m a walking freak show. Don’t make fun of me for it!

Grip
2005-03-10, 15:45
I can bounce a golf ball on the face of a wedge over 100 times. I can periodically have the ball come to rest on the face and start up again. A skill I learned by playing the slowest golf course in the world.

murbot
2005-03-10, 16:02
Cool, I can do that too, though maybe not quite 100 times. Last year I got pretty good at doing it a dozen times or so, then hitting it a bit higher on the last one, and going into a full swing and hitting it on the fly. Pretty damn hard to do though.

I'm also king of the Happy Gilmore golf swing. I do it at least once every single time I play a round, no matter how serious the game. I'll be playing next month with a bunch of people at a wedding, so I'm sure I'll pull at least a half dozen Happy tee shots.

Strange thing is, I almost never screw them up. I'd put down $50 that I could hit 10 good ones in a row. A bet I would never make with my regular drives.

Grip
2005-03-10, 19:10
I tried the Happy Gilmore swing once. Once was enough. Sheesh!

I haven't tried hitting the ball on the fly. I just never find myself in a situation where I can try. Maybe one day when I am alone on a range (not likely though) :p

curiousuburb
2005-03-10, 19:49
Golf cart polo has been attempted a few times...

Bryson
2005-03-10, 20:19
I can make my cheek flap like a horse. But only on the Right hand side, for some reason.

I can only click my fingers on the left hand.

I can throw a frisbee a certain distance, then make it stop and hover for a few seconds before gracefully decending to the floor. This is useful when playing frisbee with slow kids who hate to not catch it.

2005-03-10, 21:10
Keeping alcimedes away from my niece. :mad:

macgeek2004
2005-03-11, 00:09
I can write symphonies.

I can stop blinking my eyes at will.

I can crash any mac you put in front of me, whether it be a 128k or a G5.

I can get one of these nice applenova people to say "Shut the fuck up" to me. (that's an impressive one, don't you think?)

I can play violin and piano, even though i barely practise them.

thuh Freak
2005-03-11, 10:56
SHUT THE FUCK UP

i can pee standing up.

fhqwghads
2005-03-27, 10:58
http://jic20000.tripod.com//phootoes/Eyes.JPG

fhqwghads
2005-03-28, 15:40
Dammit. Try http://jic20000.tripod.com/phootoes.

Wraven
2005-03-28, 16:15
That's NASTY. Makes my eyes water every time I see it.

fhqwghads
2005-04-09, 12:21
http://server3.uploadit.org/files/jic2000-BEIO.JPG

fhqwghads
2005-06-04, 14:43
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59015936@N00/17437254/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59015936@N00/17437253/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59015936@N00/17437252/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59015936@N00/17437251/

tripod
2005-06-25, 10:18
I can auto fellate

2005-06-25, 11:37
With a name like that I don't doubt it.

atomicbartbeans
2005-06-25, 11:43
ew...

I don't NEED to do that... :lol:

2005-06-25, 11:50
Not yet, maybe. But once those balls of yours drop it's a whole new world.

:p

murbot
2005-06-25, 12:27
Winner of Best Old Thread Drag-Up: tripod

Winner of Post of the Week: 709

atomicbartbeans
2005-06-25, 16:11
Not yet, maybe. But once those balls of yours drop it's a whole new world.
I was referring to the fact that I don't need to do it myself. :p

Kickaha
2005-06-25, 18:03
I was referring to the fact that I don't need to do it myself. :p

Yeah, but one of these days, you're going to have to let your cousin go.

atomicbartbeans
2005-06-25, 22:41
Yeah, but one of these days, you're going to have to let your cousin go.
Why? Her funcle (also my brother) just gave us permission to get married.

dangelovich
2005-06-26, 04:25
I can burp on command...

I can also change my voice considerably, and change accents. Voices include South Park's Cartman and Mr Hanky, the guy on The Simpsons who pops up every now and then and does his "Yeeeeeessssss?" thing, the "Live 365 Internet Radio" voice, Futurama's Robot Cop, Sixty Minutes' (australia) Charles Wooley, and I can sing opera, and do general announcer-style and generic voices that sound nothing like me, so I'm told. I can also make my voice go considerably deeper than it usually sounds.
The character voices are mostly just clips, since I'm too lazy to work on proper speech in these voices - some I can still do anyway. I can also sing in many of these voices.

I also have the amazing ability to show no emotion whatsoever. My time in retail taught me that, since most of the emotion was me being really pissed at stupid people.

I think that's about it... Most of my talent is in my voice...

One more that really ticks my sister off... I can explain how almost anything works with about 90% accuracy. All I need is a basic idea of what it is. Mind you, it's a relatively high-level overview.

propellerhead
2005-06-26, 11:25
I can speak German fluently and understand (but not speak) Bahasa Malay.

I can also run 400 meters in 49 seconds flat.

Oh, I can surf too. :D