PDA

View Full Version : IPOD as a PDA

hflomberg
2005-07-15, 14:48
I am thinking of getting an Ipod and want to use it both as a music machine and a place for my calendar and phone list. I do not need any other functionality - I have computers at home and at school. Any wisdom????

:confused:

onlyafterdark
2005-07-15, 14:57
What type of computer are you using?

Oh and its spelled iPod. ;)

hflomberg
2005-07-15, 21:25
An iMac (?) 17" g4

flail
2005-07-15, 21:47
You can use it as a calendar, however I'm pretty sure you can't edit event information just view it. It gives you the month layout and you can scroll through the days. Contacts works great too, for viewing peoples' email, phone number or address. All is synced with iCal and Address book, umm I think you might have to open iSync when it is plugged in. But yeah, iPods are definitely worth it and now is a great time to buy--Everything good said about them is true. :)

Hope that helps you. :D

edit: Wow.. autocorrect.. Brad you are in control of my life :eek:

onlyafterdark
2005-07-15, 21:51
Contacts and Calendar are synced through iTunes now. But Im sure you can still do it through iSync as well.

atomicbartbeans
2005-07-15, 22:15
No they aren't? :confused:

Oh yeah, the iPod's PDA functionality has saved my ass out on the road several times.

onlyafterdark
2005-07-15, 23:59
http://homepage.mac.com/natolangley/.Pictures/Pic.jpg

This is what Im talking about. Calendar and Contacts get updated when you connect your iPod to your computer through iTunes.

Franz Josef
2005-07-16, 03:42
iPod's PDA functionality is really just an add-on - useful to have but no real replacement for a full blown PDA. If you are using it as PDA though, you can sync your emails and read them on the move - don't remember the name of the app (stopped using it), but you can find it on www.macupdate.com . Works for plain text emails only.

atomicbartbeans
2005-07-16, 05:48
I don't have the contacts or calendars tab, just the podcasts and music tab.

I have to use iSync.

BarracksSi
2005-07-16, 08:03
Make full use of the Notes folder on the iPod, too. Look for a script called Clipboard To Note, which will make a plain-text note on the iPod directly from the clipboard (great for Mapquest directions; choose Mapquest's PDA option, select the text, and run the script).

For longer texts, use Book2Pod. It'll break down large documents into 4 Kb pages and add "next" and "back" links so you can go back & forth between pages on the iPod.

geneman
2005-07-19, 14:48
The iPod is exceptional for your music collection, but as PDA it's mediocre at best - major down side is lack proper input on the go. It's good to view what was in your calendar before you left home or to check someone's number/address, but that's about it IMO. You can't type in a new meeting or a new number - at least not until you get back to your comp, if you can do without this the iPod will suffice, if not get an advanced phone or a cheap PDA like the palm Zire-series to complement it.