PDA

View Full Version : iPod for the Gym

Biff78
2005-07-17, 17:02
What is the best iPod for gym use? Does anyone know if the iPod is prone to damage or skipping when used at the gym? I know the Shuffle should have no problems, but will I have any problems with the hard drive based models?

Franz Josef
2005-07-17, 17:04
I've only seen Shuffles in the gym. Never seen a mini or 20/40GB iPod.

torifile
2005-07-17, 17:30
I take my 40 gig to the gym all the time. I've got a hard plastic case with a belt clip. Works great. But I don't run with it (bad knees). Weights and bikes are fine.

Brad
2005-07-17, 17:53
The only time one of the bigger iPods would "skip" (or rather pause) would be if the end of the 32 MB buffer is reached and you haven't stopped shaking it long enough to let the drive spin up to cache a few more songs. With 128 kbps files, that's about 30 minutes of nonstop playing.

gEEk
2005-07-17, 18:57
I use a shuffle and the apple armband in the gym. It's so light, you hardly know it's there--great for running too.

This is where the whole 'shuffle' spin works well: when I'm working out, I don't care that there's no display. I just have iTunes randomly add tunes from my 'best' playlist and go. It's also very easy to operate without looking at it.

EmC
2005-07-17, 21:14
I would have to recommend the shuffle for this. I have a 4th gen 20GB iPod and I was using it when I go running...then I dropped it on a run. The few seconds it took to pick it up and make sure it still worked were the longest ever. The next day I picked up a shuffle. I can afford a new shuffle or go with out music for two paychecks if I kill it. I can not however, afford a new iPod.

geneman
2005-07-18, 12:52
One more for the Shuffle. I do see lots of minis and regulars in the gym, but if your main usage is going to be the gym, I'd go with the Shuffle. As someone mentioned you can operate it easily without looking at it (I keep it in me pocket), it weighs next to nothing and sound quality is not inferior to its bigger brothers.

kretara
2005-07-18, 13:49
I use my first generation 5GB iPod in the gym. Its rugged as all heck and it still gets 7+ hours off its battery, unlike my wifes 20GB iPod which only gets 3 hours off a charge.
I think a shuffle would work fine for the gym.

dogbomb
2005-07-19, 01:51
I've got both a mini iPod and a large 20G iPod that I use often in the gym. They never skip. I've dropped them on the floor and they didn't break or anything.

I recommend the mini for the gym. It's cute and small. It comes with a belt clip for your shorts. I bought the $25 armband from Apple and it works great. It's very secure.

Now that I've got the mini, I never workout with my 20GB iPod anymore. It feels big, but it did the trick for a long time. The armband for my large iPod is wearing out. It stretched out from the weight and sweat. It feels kind of bulky, like it may slide down my arm.

I haven't tried a Shuffle, but I'm sure they are excellent.

The mini is great for portability and fitting in your pocket, and the gym. The 20GB (or larger) is great too, especially if you want all of your music on one device.

Maciej
2005-07-19, 02:45
Only reason I don't like my 20 gig 3rd gen, or 40 gig 4th gen for the gym, at which I mainly do running is because they bounce alot - in my opinion. It always feels like I have something strapped to my arm or shorts.

One more for shuffle.

murbot
2005-07-19, 08:04
I use my mini in the gym pretty much every day. It's perfect.

I'd recommend a Shuffle too, but both of the ones I *tried* buying were DOA. :\