PDA

View Full Version : Pop or Soda?

SilentEchoes
2004-07-06, 10:25
Recently while in California ( I am natively from NY ) A waiter at Denny's made a scene because I called it pop. I guess I am one of the few New Yorkers that call it pop.

Whats it called for you guys?

psmith2.0
2004-07-06, 10:37
Here in the South, it's Coke.

It might actually be Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, RC Cola, etc. But you just say "Coke" and everyone knows you're referring to a dark-colored, carbonated soft drink.

:)

None of this "pop" and "soda" nonsense.

:D

billybobsky
2004-07-06, 10:41
it is soda.

pop is the sound it makes. soda (namely bicarbonate) is something the beverages of this variety contain. the most accurate description is hence soda.

Luca
2004-07-06, 10:41
The only time Minnesotans say "soda" is as part of the name of our state... "Minnah-sodah." Imagine Jessie Ventura saying it, that's what I'm thinking of.

thegelding
2004-07-06, 10:49
well, i guess it depends on how formal you are

it started as "soda pop"

so if you feel "familiar" or close to your beverage, you should call it by it's first name, "soda" ...as in, "yo, my main man, soda, fashizzel my nizzel."

if you regard your beverage as you would an older person or person in authority you should call it by it's second name, "pop" ... as in, "yes sir, mr pop sir, i will have your daughter home by 10"

g

SKMDC
2004-07-06, 10:49
when i moved to milwaukee i asked a waitress, "what kind of pop do have?"
and she replied "oh, his mind is still there, but he don't move around like he used to"

har de har har, and this in a city where they call drinking fountains "bubblers"

billybobsky
2004-07-06, 10:56
well, i guess it depends on how formal you are

it started as "soda pop"

so if you feel "familiar" or close to your beverage, you should call it by it's first name, "soda" ...as in, "yo, my main man, soda, fashizzel my nizzel."

if you regard your beverage as you would an older person or person in authority you should call it by it's second name, "pop" ... as in, "yes sir, mr pop sir, i will have your daughter home by 10"

g

so if you were a soda pop would you be so demanding for respect?

DMBand0026
2004-07-06, 12:25
It's pop. I've been a midwesterner my whole life in and around Chicago. I was under the impression that most of the midwest called it pop, but I could be wrong.

Windswept
2004-07-06, 12:43
I actually say 'coke' also, though I'm not from the South. Or I call them 'soft drinks'. I've never liked carbonated soft drinks that much, from childhood on. I think there's too much carbonation, and not enough solid flavor in canned coke, for example.

I've never liked either term, 'soda' or 'pop'. Okay, so I'm weird.

They just came out with a study saying soft drinks take the enamel off people's teeth. Did anybody else see that?

I mean, I *drink* soft drinks sometimes. But I mostly drink water if I'm thirsty. Good, freshly-made iced tea with lemon is also delicious and refreshing. It seems more *real* to me than carbonated soft drinks.

Now, I did once have a homemade coke drink made with coke syrup. It was truly wonderful. Lots of coke flavor, not too much carbonation. Wow.

kretara
2004-07-06, 12:56
Neither, down here its a Coke (even if its a Dr. Pepper :) )

thegelding
2004-07-06, 13:35
Neither, down here its a Coke (even if its a Dr. Pepper :) )

so when you go out to eat and ask for a coke, and then they bring you a Coke, do you complain...."hey, you brought me a Coke, i asked for a coke"

dang..gotta love the south...and don't even let me get started on "sweetened" tea

g

SilentEchoes
2004-07-06, 14:23
My mother is from the south, she always used to call it soda pop. I don't remember when she started but she calls it pop now to.

I don't think I could see myself referring to it simply as coke. Probably because I hate the taste of Coke.

I find it interesting there is such a geographical boundary to where people refer to a carbonated soft drink as what.

Luca
2004-07-06, 14:29
I wonder what happens if you're in the south, and you order a coke, and they ask you what kind, and you say coke... do they actually bring you a coca-cola or do they get confused?

I'm also curious about whether people called the children's game Duck Duck Gray Duck or Duck Duck Goose. At first I thought it was a regional thing because all my Minnesota friends say Gray Duck, while everyone I talked to from Wisconsin said Goose. But now I'm not so sure, because there seem to be a few exceptions.

SilentEchoes
2004-07-06, 14:44
I'm also curious about whether people called the children's game Duck Duck Gray Duck or Duck Duck Goose. At first I thought it was a regional thing because all my Minnesota friends say Gray Duck, while everyone I talked to from Wisconsin said Goose. But now I'm not so sure, because there seem to be a few exceptions.

Gray Duck? I have never even heard it called that before. Its always been Duck Duck Goose when I heard it. I dunno.

thegelding
2004-07-06, 15:01
i thought it was duck, duck, malt duck

at least that was the drinking game we played in junior high

g

Ryan
2004-07-06, 15:03
Soda.

Pop sounds childish to me.

Wrao
2004-07-06, 15:53
Soda.

Pop sounds childish to me.

agreed.

Luca
2004-07-06, 15:59
Well, other than growing up with the word "pop" used by everyone, I do marginally prefer it to "soda" because it has fewer syllables. And even though I still use pop all the time, I do think it sounds silly and soda sounds better. But I still use pop because that's just what I use :p. Maybe I'll change my habit some day.

Meh, I already managed to start calling a friend of mine "Nicholas" since he prefers it to "Nick," and I also started calling one of the buildings on campus here "Magraw" because that's the proper pronunciation, even though it's spelled "Magrath."

Spart
2004-07-06, 16:09
When I was smaller, I always called it pop.

Now, I always call it soda.

I find it somewhat ridiculous that southerners call everything "coke". You guys are just giving us more to make fun of you about.

SKMDC
2004-07-06, 16:38
peanuts in pepsi is southern thing too.

i worked at an ice cream parlor when i was 14, and we had this little old man who always came up and asked for a white sodie. some of us gave him 7up, some gave him a seltzer, he never complained either way.

iBrowse
2004-07-06, 16:42
You mean, putting peanuts.. into... your Pepsi? Like.. on purpose?

SKMDC
2004-07-06, 16:45
You mean, putting peanuts.. into... your Pepsi? Like.. on purpose?

yeah i think that's what it is.here are some other fascinating things to put in your pepsi. (http://www.garybeene.com/pepsi/pep-fact.htm)

Naderfan
2004-07-06, 18:34
Pop and Duck Duck Gray Duck. I'm from Minnesota but when I moved to Wisconsin, I found I was in a small minority of people. And no, I never understood the whole bubbler thing either.

noleli2
2004-07-06, 19:10
You all should check out popvssoda.com (http://www.popvssoda.com). It's a great website with clickable maps and everything. And there's a link at the bottom of that site to this (http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~golder/dialect/maps.php) site, which I think is just fantastic. It's like popvssoda.com, but for all kinds of interesting dialectical variations found throughout American English. I found it last night, and have been entertained by it ever since.

Oh, and it's pop, just so you know. ;)

Brad
2004-07-06, 19:24
Here in the South, it's Coke.Nonsense!

I've never once heard someone call it "Coke" when not explicitly referring to Coca-cola.

iBrowse
2004-07-06, 19:37
Things I have heard weird/regional names for outside of the pop/soda debate:

drinking fountain - bubbler
liqour store - package store
couch/sofa - davenport (?)
shopping cart - buggy (I have also heard carriage, but only because I was in Alabama and heard somebody say 'buggy' and decided to take a survey among Wal*Mart customers)

Eugene
2004-07-06, 20:02
People in California either say "soda" or "soft drink." Both are less common than just saying the name of the freakin' drink.

ast3r3x
2004-07-06, 20:13
Pop is from the 60's ;) and for kids <10

Soda all the way.

SilentEchoes
2004-07-06, 20:28
People in California either say "soda" or "soft drink." Both are less common than just saying the name of the freakin' drink.

There are times though when you can't say the name of the drink, like when your asking what kind of pop/soda a restaurant has or what ever.

Barto
2004-07-06, 21:22
Soft drink :p

Mac+
2004-07-07, 01:18
^ same here - or I refer to the type of soft drink I want by name.

Eugene
2004-07-07, 01:54
There are times though when you can't say the name of the drink, like when your asking what kind of pop/soda a restaurant has or what ever.
I never ask since they're always available.

"I'll have a Pepsi/7-Up."
"We only have Coke/Sprite, is that okay?"
"Okay."

staph
2004-07-07, 02:25
Soft drink.

And yes, we have bubblers.

SonOfSylvanus
2004-07-07, 18:23
In the UK: Coke, Pepsi, Tango, Fanta, 7up, Orangina etc and very rarely, soft drink - if you're being all official and posh about it. Never "soda" or "pop" (silly Americans messing up our language *ducks*).

thuh Freak
2004-07-07, 19:29
I never ask since they're always available.

"I'll have a Pepsi/7-Up."
"We only have Coke/Sprite, is that okay?"
"Okay."
part that bothers me about that situation is i'm oft to ask for a pepsi, and receive a coke, when i'd prefer a sprite or something else over a coke. usually not enough of a deal to bitch about it though.

iBrowse
2004-07-07, 19:47
Another thing, when did sprinkles for ice cream become 'jimmies'?

iLikeMyiMacG4
2004-07-07, 20:06
The only time Minnesotans say "soda" is as part of the name of our state... "Minnah-sodah." Imagine Jessie Ventura saying it, that's what I'm thinking of.
I remember going to Minnesota a couple years ago to see my cousins and when I was in their house they asked me if a wanted a "pop". I replied "a what?". Then my aunt said "oh I mean a soda". The thing is that I'm from the Midwest (St Louis) and so is my aunt but when she moved to Minnesota I guess the cultural linguistics wore off on her. So I guess my question is is anybody out there that moved to a different place where they call soda/pop something else than what they called it when they were growing up and how long did it take you before you changed what you called it?

Moogs
2004-07-07, 20:15

It might actually be Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, RC Cola, etc. But you just say "Coke" and everyone knows you're referring to a dark-colored, carbonated soft drink.

So true... so true. But back when I lived there there wasn't even the distinction between cola and non-cola. All sweetened, carbonated beverages were "coke".

Patron: "Waiter can I get a coke with my appetizer?"

Waiter: "Sure, what kind you want... we got Pepsi, Mellow Yellow, 7 Up...."

Luca
2004-07-07, 20:17
What are "sprinles" and "jimmies?" I always put sprinkles on my ice cream. Which, by the way, I call ice cream. I don't know if there's anyone here who calls it something else ("iced cream," perhaps? :D).

iBrowse
2004-07-07, 20:21
The 'iced cream' thing always got me a little, because I wasn't sure if they were really saying it (since it made no sense to me) or if they were just saying 'ice' kinda fast and funny. Also, apparently to some people a 'scoop' of ice cream is a 'dip'.

thegelding
2004-07-07, 21:20
Which, by the way, I call ice cream. I don't know if there's anyone here who calls it something else ("iced cream," perhaps? :D).

ice...cream??

oh, we call that "frozen moo tit thingy" around here...

mmm ice cream, sounds kinda funny, but i'll try calling it that

g

SKMDC
2004-07-07, 21:32
you can sprinkle jimmies on your ice cream, but you can't jimmie sprinkles on your ice cream. :)

actually aren't jimmies tubular? and sprinkles more like confetti?

i have many fond ice cream memories.

iBrowse
2004-07-08, 03:15
you can sprinkle jimmies on your ice cream, but you can't jimmie sprinkles on your ice cream. :)

actually aren't jimmies tubular? and sprinkles more like confetti?

i have many fond ice cream memories.

Tubular? They're totally gnarly!

(*put vodka down adn quit safari*)

staph
2004-07-08, 03:59
You mean you don't call them Hundreds and Thousands?

Barto
2004-07-08, 04:33
Apparently not. This is indeed a disturbing turn of events.

Mac+
2004-07-08, 04:43
Thanks guys! :)
I didn't know wtf they were talking about! :lol:

drewprops
2004-07-08, 08:38
It's true Brad.

Coke equal pop/soda. It can be used as a generic noun.

"Hey, I want a coke...y'all got any RC Cola?" is a perfect example.

So put me down in the invisible Coke category in this poll.

I also heartily recommend some RC and a Moon Pie...unless you're diabetic.

And Gelding, sorry, theGelding ;) it's not "sweetened" tea...it's just Sweet Tea, or Sweetee if you want to say it the right way. It used to be expected that you want your tea to be sweet if you ordered a tea, not the other way 'round.

We be laid back down here in the South~

kretara
2004-07-08, 08:46
In the South we call them sprinkles. The first time I heard jimmies was after I moved to Boston. This guy at the ice cream store asks if I want jimmies on my ice cream and I ask him what the hell he is talking about -- he points to the sprinkles. I say, yeah, I'll have some sprinkles. He then looks at me like I have 3 heads.

Its so nice to be back in the South again where a sprinkle is a sprinkle and all soft drinks are a Coke.

Damn, someone had to mention an RC and Moonpie. Now I'll have to get some after lunch.

naren
2004-07-08, 11:31
My mother's family referred to soda as seltzer water growing up in Boston, apparently it was a turn of phrase limited to the city because the locals didn't know what she was talking about when she moved to Springfield.

iBrowse
2004-07-08, 15:02
So when ordering a Sprite you would say "I'll have a coke, a Sprite please"?

kretara
2004-07-08, 15:19
So when ordering a Sprite you would say "I'll have a coke, a Sprite please"?

As opposed to saying "I'll have a soda (pop), a Sprite please"?

In the South it very much depends on the way you say it.

I'll have a Coke. Means that you want a Coke.

What kind of cokes do you have? Means give me a list of the "soft drinks" that you have.

drewprops
2004-07-08, 22:31
Now, you would never say "I'd like a coke, do you have Pepsi?" because we do know the difference. Here in Atlanta, amongst the grand majority of the native-born, we have a special affinity for Coke as it is such an institution and it was such an economic boon for the community over the years.

Additionally, this usage of the word "coke" is increasingly marginalized, as are most regionalisms, due to the ubiquity of mass-media via cable television and the internet. I'm sure that there are some whacko words around your regions that are fading as the old-timers die off.

sunrain
2004-07-08, 23:32
And Gelding, sorry, theGelding ;) it's not "sweetened" tea...it's just Sweet Tea, or Sweetee if you want to say it the right way. It used to be expected that you want your tea to be sweet if you ordered a tea, not the other way 'round.

We be laid back down here in the South~

Good lord, I love me some sweet tea.

...but to answer regionally, it's usually pop in Oregon.

dviant
2004-07-09, 09:52
So duh.

mannequin23
2004-07-09, 18:29
i have found that it differs depending on geographical location. when i lived in Philadelphia is was soda, Michigan it was soda pop, Texas it was Coke, and now that i live in Washington it is pop. i have just learned to adapt to the current dialect depending on where it is i go.

drewprops
2004-07-09, 20:47
you know, "soft drink" is also something you hear a lot these days to refer to soda and pop...you know, coke.

Windswept
2004-07-10, 05:12

drinking fountain - bubbler
liqour store - package store
shopping cart - buggy (I have also heard carriage, but only because I was in Alabama and heard somebody say 'buggy' and decided to take a survey among Wal*Mart customers)

Here, a 'bubbler' is part of a landscape watering system. It's a watering device that emits lots more water than a drip line, and is used to flood a flower bed.

In college, I had a friend from Ohio, and instead of 'closet', she would say 'clothes press'. Has anyone ever heard that? Maybe the term referred to those large wooden wardrobe pieces of furniture, used in rooms with no built-in closet. Her term 'clothes press' just seemed to me like something from the 19th century.

InactionMan
2004-07-10, 08:50
I think it Canada it's Pop. Not sure though. I've always called it Sodie-Pop. Yeah, it must be pop, I remember a place called The Pop Shoppe when I was a young lad growing up in suburban Toronto.

_Ω_
2004-07-10, 09:04
Not Soda. Not Pop. It's soft drink.

Also it is hundreds and thousands instead of jimmies.

And anyone who argues otherwise is a freak like Eugene! :lol:

Dave
2007-01-15, 15:04

Apparently it's like refering to tissue paper as "Kleenex".

Wikilinki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davenport_%28sofa%29)

Wyatt
2007-01-15, 15:06
Strange bump, but a cool thread. :D

It's pop around here, but sometimes it is just generically called Coke. I think that's stupid, though, so I call it pop.

octavist13
2007-01-15, 15:24
I always called it pop growing up, but in high school a few of my buddies and I thought it was funny to call it soda because no one in the midwest calls it that. Well, from jokingly calling it soda for so long it now comes naturally.

Sometimes I call it soda pop now because that's what my daughter likes to call it.

dmegatool
2007-01-15, 15:37

Same here in quebec... and in french ! No soda or pop shit here :)

Windswept
2007-01-15, 15:39
I haven't reread the thread. But I just refer to such beverages as 'soft drinks'.

'Pop' or 'soda' both sound weird to me.

I've grown up/lived entirely in the American West. :)

I suppose that fact must make a difference of some kind, but I'm not sure 'what'. ;)

Zodiac
2007-01-15, 15:52
Nonsense!

I've never once heard someone call it "Coke" when not explicitly referring to Coca-cola. o rly now?

Here up north we do that too, we call everything "coke". Especially if we don't know exactly what brand of "soda" the person we are asking carries.

Coke, Pepsi, all the generic brands, cocaine...:)

World Leader Pretend
2007-01-15, 15:53
Midwest, and I usually call it pop, although I use soda more than most people. I'm weird like that. Coke also works, although it actually means that you want a coke.

turbulentfurball
2007-01-15, 15:54
I call them 'not-beer'.

Or their actual names.

Chinney
2007-01-15, 15:58
I actually say 'coke' also, though I'm not from the South. Or I call them 'soft drinks'. I've never liked carbonated soft drinks that much, from childhood on. I think there's too much carbonation, and not enough solid flavor in canned coke, for example.

I've never liked either term, 'soda' or 'pop'. Okay, so I'm weird.

[...]

It's pretty much "soft drink" around here as far as I can tell, although some say "pop" as well. I don't hear "soda" at all, unless, in specific, the speaker is referring to "club soda".

Here's a question from those not from Canada. Is ginger ale an available and popular drink where you are? Somebody told me once that ginger ale is pretty much a Canadian thing, but I find that hard to believe. I have never thought to actually check it out when I have been down in the States or overseas. (I know in the Carribean they drink ginger beer - which you can get here as well - but it really not the same thing.)

BuonRotto
2007-01-15, 16:02
soft drink?! You actually say "soft drink"??

At that point, you might as well get scientific: "Waiter, please prepare my favorite flavored syrup mixed with carbonated water from the mixing fountain to my liking. Many thanks yous."

Mugge
2007-01-15, 16:05
No beer - no vote!

:p

blakbyrd
2007-01-15, 16:14
Soda or soft drink. :p

billybobsky
2007-01-15, 17:14
Soda is at least somewhat scientific -- stemming from the fact that soda, or bicarbonate is the source of the bubbling.

Pop is the sound it makes.

And soft drink? The texture? what the hell?

Chinney
2007-01-15, 17:27
Soda is at least somewhat scientific -- stemming from the fact that soda, or bicarbonate is the source of the bubbling.

Pop is the sound it makes.

And soft drink? The texture? what the hell?

I think that "soft" is as compared with "hard", i.e., alcoholic. That's always been my assumption.

Still no answer on my ginger ale question.

Windowsrookie
2007-01-15, 17:38
Here in Minnesota it's always Pop. If you call it soda, we instantly know you're not from Minnesota.

drewprops
2007-01-15, 18:07
Soda Pop.

Why isn't a choice for this original version in the poll?
And WHAT ABOUT THE BEER???

billybobsky
2007-01-15, 18:25
I think that "soft" is as compared with "hard", i.e., alcoholic. That's always been my assumption.

Still no answer on my ginger ale question.
Ginger ale is widely available...

It comes in severly throat burning and severly light varieties -- generally light...

We also have Birch Beer, which is like Root Beer but made out of Birch...

Three Cheers for Cheerwine!

BuonRotto
2007-01-15, 20:12
We have ginger ale here. with pretzels it's especially good. cheerwine, birch beer, root beer, cream soda, all kind of weird organic shit from Earth Fare/Whole Foods/Trader Joe's etc. It's all good... SODA. (Actually I like the word "pop" for it, I just never got into the habit.)

Let's compromise and call it "shizzle" from here on out.

Wyatt
2007-01-15, 20:21
We have ginger ale here. with pretzels it's especially good. cheerwine, birch beer, root beer, cream soda, all kind of weird organic shit from Earth Fare/Whole Foods/Trader Joe's etc. It's all good... SODA. (Actually I like the word "pop" for it, I just never got into the habit.)

Let's compromise and call it "shizzle" from here on out.
I'm with you. Shizzle FTW!

Moogs
2007-01-15, 20:22
Dave makes a good point; it's not just "coke" that (at least down south) gets the all encompassing recognition.

Everywhere I've ever lived called the things you wipe you nose with Kleenex, not "tissues". Same with bandages. "Band Aid" is a brand not a general name, yet that's what everyone I've ever known calls them. Remarkable testament to the people who initially marketed those products and the job they did on our parents and grand-parents. :)

Can anyone think of others that are almost universally used regardless of region, and regardless of which brand is actually being used? I can't think of one off the top of my head.

billybobsky
2007-01-15, 21:04
Sharpie.

Chinney
2007-01-15, 21:13
I don't know if this exactly qualifies, but isn't 'crap' named after Thomas Crapper toilets?

[Split Moogs topic into separate thread?]

Moogs
2007-01-15, 21:20
:lol: yes but crap is more a by-product than a product, wouldn't you say? Anyway crapper is slang. If Kohler toilets were called Krapper toilets, you'd be onto something. :D

Luca
2007-01-15, 21:47
Here in Minnesota it's always Pop. If you call it soda, we instantly know you're not from Minnesota.

Not necessarily. My old roommate and I both have weaned ourselves of the habit of calling it pop, because pretty much everyone outside of the midwest (i.e. hicksville) calls it soda. So now I call it soda and so does he, but we're both born and raised Minnesotans.

Calling it coke is silly - Coke is a specific kind! If you say you want Coke you mean you want Coca-Cola Classic or perhaps Diet Coke, and nothing else. I don't get that one.

But I've found one that tops the generic usage of coke. My Belgian friends here in China refer to all soda/pop/whatever as "lemonade." No kidding. Doesn't matter what kind it is, it's all lemonade. I don't even think they have lemonade here, of any kind, but sometimes I'll be at a restaurant with one of them and they'll ask, "Do you want lemonade?" It's really silly. At least using "coke" to refer to everything gets the category right - it's still a sweetened carbonated beverage. But lemonade?

spikeh
2007-01-15, 21:56

MINNNNEEEESOOOOOTAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! :cancer: (I enjoy smoking after sex)

Anyway, I voted for soda but I don't say either, as my birthday falls after the year 1953. ;)

Chinney
2007-01-15, 22:00
:lol: yes but crap is more a by-product than a product, wouldn't you say? Anyway crapper is slang. If Kohler toilets were called Krapper toilets, you'd be onto something. :D

I'll have a burger with fries and a kohler, please.

RowdyScot
2007-01-16, 03:00
Hell, in NW Ohio you're crazy if you don't call it pop. Besides that point, I normally call it by the brand :/ It's either Dew, Code Red, or Livewire for me.

Banana
2007-01-16, 11:11
Geez, guys. For a starter, call it what it should be called:

Carbonated high fructose sugary caffeine-laden drink with loads of artificial flavoring and preservatives.

It's only 14 words, you wimps.

thuh Freak
2007-01-16, 11:34
I call it soda in general. but coke is often what I request at a restaurant (even though i prefer pepsi). coke is a lot more popular, and you'll get whichever dark cola they have regardless of what you ask for. pops is what people call they father, or they's father father.

murbot
2007-01-16, 11:48
Calling it coke is silly - Coke is a specific kind! If you say you want Coke you mean you want Coca-Cola Classic or perhaps Diet Coke, and nothing else. I don't get that one.

You order "a soda" then? Aren't they still going to need to know what kind of soda?

This is why I just order booze. You can be specific and they'll always have it. :)

2007-01-16, 13:28
Here's a question from those not from Canada. Is ginger ale an available and popular drink where you are?Vernors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernor's). Best ginger ale ever.

Bryson
2007-01-16, 13:36
Agreed - my Girlfriends family drive into the states to buy Vernors. It's great!

Chinney
2007-01-16, 15:42
Vernor's Ginger Ale was, according to Wikipedia, the first soft drink, pop, or soda (whatever you want to call it) produced in the U.S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginger_ale

I am not sure how accurate that is though.

On another issue, I saw another reference indicating that until at least the 1920s, ginger ale remained the most popular soft drink in the U.S. Again, I am unsure of accuracy.

Chinney
2007-01-16, 15:54
And here is the comperhensive Wikipedia account of what soft drink, pop, or soda is called, country-by-country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_drink#Canada

I am not sure that I entirely agree with their entry for Canada, although InactionMan has previously indicated that he calls it "pop", so maybe I am out of step in indicating that I think that the majority call it "soft drink". The entry seems to agree that not many in Canada use "soda". In any case, all of these terms can vary by region even within a country.

MBHockey
2007-01-16, 17:53
Yeah I've heard people call it Pop mainly in Canada and bumblefuck NY (incidentally, where i go to college)...nobody calls it pop where I am from in NY :)

World Leader Pretend
2007-01-16, 18:23
The best Root Beer that I've tasted came from a guy outside a supermarket in Vail, Colorado who apparently made authentic root beer himself (no corn syrup or caffeine). That stuff was delicious!! We went back and bought another 2 six-packs from the guy that day, it was so good. Second was probably in Minnesota when I had some Dorothy's Isle of Pines (http://www.elyminnesota.com/store/product.php?productid=16459) root beer up north of Duluth. It was very sweet but yet had lots of flavor.

My favorite local Root Beer is Lost Trail (http://www.lukecole.com/Root%20Beer/Luke's%20root%20beers%20-%20L%20-%20Lost%20Trail.htm), which rated pretty high on some guy's taste test. I would agree, it is very smooth and crisp.

BenP
2007-05-14, 07:34
A little graphic action:

http://popvssoda.com:2998/countystats/total-county.gif

2007-05-14, 07:59
Welcome to Page 1 and 2004 (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?p=12625). :p

This thread refuses to die.