PDA

View Full Version : Geil Ram

Outsiderdude26
2005-07-21, 22:59
I was looking for Ram for my new Dual 2.3 PowerMac..... and I saw that a 2GB kit form Geil Apple Series for $240 (USD) at newegg.com

I was just wondering if geil is a good memory or if I should buy firom another brand?

Thanx for the help

DMBand0026
2005-07-22, 01:00
A few things to consider. First, I've never heard of Geil, so I'm not really sure if it's good or bad so I won't tell you to not buy it but I won't tell you to buy it. Second, G5s and specifically OSX are quite picky about the type of RAM used, you get RAM that isn't up to snuff and you'll have problems most likely. If you're willing to spend a little more (and you should be), head over to Crucial (http://www.crucial.com) and get your RAM from there. As far as I know there is no better RAM out there and I've used it for years in every machine I've bought. In fact, there are 6 Macs in my house right now and each and every one of them has at least one stick of Crucial RAM in them. They make quality stuff and they back it up with a guarantee too.

Wrao
2005-07-22, 01:04
I bought bottom-of-the-barrel noname brand RAM from newegg before, and it didn't work. But newegg has a great return policy that was handled very efficiently, so, I wouldn't slag on newegg, but be wary of super cheap ram.

Luca
2005-07-22, 02:41
Geil is a good brand. The fact that this RAM is specifically labeled "Apple Series" should give you a clue as to whether it'll be compatible or not ;).

I'm using Geil in my Mac mini right now (not even "Apple Series," just plain Geil value RAM) and I haven't had any RAM problems at all.

Actually... right now it looks like the cheapest PC3200 2 GB kit on NewEgg is OCZ. OCZ is a very good brand. I'd just suggest going with that one. If it were Rosewill or Kingmax I'd suggest moving on, but OCZ's good. Here's what I'd put on the "wholeheartedly recommend" list:

OCZ
Crucial
Viking
pqi
Geil
Mushkin
Other World Computing

EDIT: NewEgg's listing for Geil Apple Series RAM is really strange. First of all, watch out because one of the two 2x1 GB kits available is PC2700, and that'll only work with older PowerMac G5s. Also, another is labeled as RDRAM, but it still says PC3200 (a DDR SDRAM speed, not an RDRAM speed). It's kind of confusing since most of their Apple Series RAM is PC2700, and thus actually incompatible with recent PowerMacs (all of which use PC3200).

ohara
2005-07-22, 13:50
I wouldn't be surprised if some people on this board work for Crucial.

kevie
2005-07-22, 14:28
Its good stuff i read on a couple of ram review sites and this company uses very good quality chips they are a company trying to make it in the american market, which they are starting to pick up steam...i bought what you are concidering of buying and for me its working wonders im up to 3GB total in computer and i am actually concidering buying more from this company. I would recommend this ram i think its as good as the top dogs like Crucial..