PDA

View Full Version : Get your Gadgets right here folks

hmurchison
2004-07-06, 20:21
http://www.thedashboarder.com/

Man these folks are quick. That's one thing I do like about Apple products. They develop "cottage" industries very quickly. Apple could announce iPoop and there'd be 3 sites based around it within a week.

psmith2.0
2004-07-06, 20:24
Yeah, especially here. Checked out AppleOutsider lately? A veritable poo-fest, it seems. :p

SilentEchoes
2004-07-06, 20:26
I think they need to work on their graphic design skills.

I mean why the hell does their counter gadget have a stickies look to it, or why do 2/3 of their gadgets have the stickies look to them?

HOM
2004-07-06, 20:30
I think they need to work on their graphic design skills.

I mean why the hell does their counter gadget have a stickies look to it, or why do 2/3 of their gadgets have the stickies look to them?
Because they don't know shit about design and they just copied the files out of Apple's included Sticky widget.

It is amazing how quickly these sites pop up. I mean Tiger isn't shipping for almost a year. However you can run these gadgets in Safari. Some of the formatting gets fucked up, but they run.

Barto
2004-07-06, 21:11
I downloaded the Timer and Snake ones... Timer needs more accuracy (at least 1/100 of a second) and Snake isn't responsive enough. Which is bad. <game over>

synotic
2004-07-06, 23:57
I downloaded the Timer and Snake ones... Timer needs more accuracy (at least 1/100 of a second) and Snake isn't responsive enough. Which is bad. <game over>Safari 1.3/Safari in Tiger are both something like 10 times faster in JavaScript. Which is what makes Dashboard possible of course. Unless you're already running these in Tiger, if so, ignore this :)

Barto
2004-07-07, 00:39
Safari 1.3/Safari in Tiger are both something like 10 times faster in JavaScript. Which is what makes Dashboard possible of course. Unless you're already running these in Tiger, if so, ignore this :)
Running in Dashboard in Tiger. :p

I played it some more and found the problem: quick, successive arrow key presses won't register. So not fast enough.

SilentEchoes
2004-07-07, 01:30
Because they don't know shit about design and they just copied the files out of Apple's included Sticky widget.

It is amazing how quickly these sites pop up. I mean Tiger isn't shipping for almost a year. However you can run these gadgets in Safari. Some of the formatting gets fucked up, but they run.
Yeah I know, it was a poor attempt at sarcasm.

drewprops
2004-07-07, 07:45
It kills me how slow Java is, even in Panther. What reeeeally chaps my hide is CNN using ads that make your Java engine crank up, what the heck?? If Dashboard is to be of any use Apple had best speed that thing up by at LEAST a factor of ten!

Kickaha
2004-07-07, 07:47
It kills me how slow Java is, even in Panther. What reeeeally chaps my hide is CNN using ads that make your Java engine crank up, what the heck?? If Dashboard is to be of any use Apple had best speed that thing up by at LEAST a factor of ten!

Dashboard uses Javascript, not Java. And the two have NOTHING to do with one another, aside from an unfortunate marketing attempt.

Block the ads, that won't happen. ;)

drewprops
2004-07-07, 16:22
Dang, I knew that DB used JS....I uploaded the Calculator code (and associated graphics) to one of my domains to see how it worked.

I really don't want to install PithHelmet if I don't have to...didn't I read about some associated weirdness with it? Did I imagine that?

Ryan
2004-07-07, 17:44
Dang, I knew that DB used JS....I uploaded the Calculator code (and associated graphics) to one of my domains to see how it worked.

I really don't want to install PithHelmet if I don't have to...didn't I read about some associated weirdness with it? Did I imagine that?
I use PithHelmet, and I don't notice anything weird.