PDA

View Full Version : Should i wait till the intel macs?

sparky0106
2005-07-26, 14:43
Ok, so the plan was to buy a new mac (iMac prolly) sometime in august before school. It would be a computer i would want to work with for at least 3-4 years. But now that Apple announced the switch to Intel in 2006, i don't know what to do!? Should i get one now and see what happens when the new ones come or should i wait?

Thanks,

Axl
2005-07-26, 15:18
If you're just doing the basics (i.e., word processing, browsing internet…), get one now. Future programs are going to be FAT yo! Meaning they're going to be compiled to run on both Intel and PPC. So 3-4 years should be fine before developers start compiling exclusively for Intel processors.

buckley64
2005-07-26, 15:19
Ok, so the plan was to buy a new mac (iMac prolly) sometime in august before school. It would be a computer i would want to work with for at least 3-4 years. But now that Apple announced the switch to Intel in 2006, i don't know what to do!? Should i get one now and see what happens when the new ones come or should i wait?

Thanks,
Hi Sparky

I see it as this... If you think about it, technology changes fast - that is a fact but there are always problems with new technology / teething troubles. However with such a big move to Intel architecture, it may not be wise to be the one of the first to get an first generation Intel Mac - there are bound to be problems with software transitions as it is a completely different base etc. The apple developers out there will not give up the ghost on OSX - think how many users are using PowerPC's out there at the moment. There are still users on OS9!

I suppose the way to think about it is to think of it like the next major release of the iMac, say like it was from the G4 to G5 then to G(6 but intel). The new G5 iMac is nearly a year old now give or take but people are still using G3’s.

With this new xcode that automatically programs the code from PowerPC to Intel code at the same time, the software will be dual (in simplistic terms).

Put it this way, I have been a Microsoft PC user for many many years and I have had the same thoughts / concerns as you, but guess what, I have taken the plunge and bought an iMacG5 this week 20" 2Ghz. It has taken me a few days to get use to it but it is a lot easier to setup than a PC and that’s my job! It seems a bit ironic that I am studying for my MCSE on a Mac! The only problem I have got is that my exam review apps for it don't work on the Mac so am using Virtual PC to get around it!

Go for a G5 rev B – and don’t be put off by those problems some have experienced with the Rev A models… The second generation models such as this one is running fine, no extra noises or screen problems...

Franz Josef
2005-07-26, 15:26
Buy now. PowerPC Macs will be supported for a very long time to come and the iMac is a very good machine. Don't wish your life away waiting for the Intel Mac.

atomicbartbeans
2005-07-26, 15:32
If your current Mac is a G4 or newer, wait a year. If it's older, buy now.

But don't buy the first batch of Mactels. Give them a few months to work out the kinks.

sparky0106
2005-07-26, 15:32
Wow... thanks alot! That's really changed my perspective. I guess it wouldn't be very wise to be the "test rabbits" for the Intel Macs... and now that you come to mention the problems people had with the Rev. A iMacs then there are sure to be even more of them with the Intel Macs. And the fact that there are still people on OS 9 encourages me even more. Although Steve Jobs discussing in his keynote about them hoping to convert everything to Intel by 2007 is discouraging... :\ But i guess what the hell... i'll do it and see what happens!

But do you think they'll have OS X Leopard for PPC? That i guess concerns me the most...

But once again, thanks - I guess i'll be a happy new Mac owner soon. And my rusty PC can finally retire! :)

Franz Josef
2005-07-26, 15:37
But do you think they'll have OS X Leopard for PPC? That i guess concerns me the most...

Yes - but it doesn't really matter - both Panther (10.3) and Tiger (10.4) are very good OS's indeed and if you come from a Windows background, they will seem like a breath of fresh air - no hyperbole, joking aside. :)

sparky0106
2005-07-26, 15:41
As a side note... if OS X is going to be made for Intel... Couldn't i basically (not that i would want to) uninstall windows from an Intel PC and put OS X on it? :\

atomicbartbeans
2005-07-26, 15:43
Indeed... I'l probably be using Panther for the next 3-4 years, before buying a new Mactel with Leopard. I'll be waiting for at least rev. B, then buying whatever they have for laptops then.

Panther is a great OS!

Franz Josef
2005-07-26, 15:46
As a side note... if OS X is going to be made for Intel... Couldn't i basically (not that i would want to) uninstall windows from an Intel PC and put OS X on it? :\

Probably (almost certainly) not.

atomicbartbeans
2005-07-26, 15:46
No, at least not for a few months. Apple will undoubtedly stick some kind of DRM chip in the new Macs, that OS X must recognize to be able to boot.

Now, once the Taiwanese and Japanese tech gurus have had a few months to reverse-engineer Apple's motherboards, they'll probably start making "OS X compatible" motherboards for peecees. But why would you not want a Mac? :)

sparky0106
2005-07-26, 15:53
No, at least not for a few months. Apple will undoubtedly stick some kind of DRM chip in the new Macs, that OS X must recognize to be able to boot.

Now, once the Taiwanese and Japanese tech gurus have had a few months to reverse-engineer Apple's motherboards, they'll probably start making "OS X compatible" motherboards for peecees. But why would you not want a Mac? :)

LMAO! Okay, point taken! And of course i wouldn't not want a Mac. And i wish those tech gurus wouldn't reverse-engineer those Apple motherboards... (Even though they undoubtedly will) The idea of OS X running on some gray ugly box is pretty disgusting IMO.

Oh and have you ever bothered to do the Strawberry Pancake thing till it reaches "Population: 0" ? :D

atomicbartbeans
2005-07-26, 16:57
Nope. You have way too much time. :)

losslesshead
2005-07-26, 19:23
I would not wait at all. Well, to pove that I would not wait, I am getting an iMac G5 September 7th. Here are my reasons not to wait:

1. Yes, future programs will work on PPC and Intel Macs. Some current programs (Photoshop, Flash, etc...) wont work on the Intel Macs until they update them. So if they are a ecesity for you (like me), PPC Macs would be a better choice anyway.

2. You coule be waiting a year for the Mac you want to have an Intel processor! They say the transition will be done by 2007. Maybe the iMac won't have an Intel processor until 2007!!??

3. They are almost the same. I said it, they really are almost the same.

4. If you have any apps you like that only work on classic, you can't go into classic mode with an Intel processor (from what I know).

Brad
2005-07-26, 19:32
People have already tried that with the OS in the developer boxes. It doesn't work. Apple isn't that stupid. :p

Also, please read (twice! thrice!) the page linked below. It repeats some things people here have already said and probably answers more unasked questions:

Read this BEFORE posting ANYTHING about the Intel/x86 switch!! (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=7319)

BarracksSi
2005-07-26, 21:34
Buy now -- you'll be getting pretty much the best of the PowerPC Macs.

sparky0106
2005-07-27, 11:04
People have already tried that with the OS in the developer boxes. It doesn't work. Apple isn't that stupid. :p

Also, please read (twice! thrice!) the page linked below. It repeats some things people here have already said and probably answers more unasked questions:

Read this BEFORE posting ANYTHING about the Intel/x86 switch!! (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=7319)

OOPS! Im sorry.. although reading that did clear some other things out... thanks!

Brad
2005-07-27, 12:04
s'okay. :) That sticky is in the Speculation and Rumors forum; so, I should make a copy of it here in the Purchasing Advice forum too. In fact, I'll do that now!