PDA

View Full Version : Portable Power Adapter Complaints??

iChan
2004-07-07, 14:03
Hey everyone...

I have had loads of problems with my Powerbook charger...

I have two broken ones and a third one is on its last legs. These problems prompted me to make a website...

check it out here!

http://emeraldgardens.ie/powerbrick/index.htm

and make sure you sign the petition I have linked to!!!

Stephen.

BlueRabbit
2004-07-07, 21:33
Did you try getting a replacement? Doesn't the warranty last for a year? BTW, the 4 power adaptors I have used (wallstreet PB, Ti PB, iPod, and 12" PB) have all worked fine.

Quagmire
2004-07-07, 21:38
This is as crazy as the ipod only lasts 18 months thing. I owned my powerbook for 6 months so far. AC adapter plugged in 99% of the time in use. Maybe he was doing something to it that he didn't notice.

Wrao
2004-07-07, 21:51
Both mine and two friends of mine have had Power adapter problems. One friend's dad fixed his(really well to), then me and my other friend caved and bought new ones.

And, our 3 stories are just a drop in the bucket compared to how many more stories there are out there.

obviously it's going to vary with usage, someone who always has their powerbook on a desk, in a fixed position, isn't going to have any problems especially compared to someone who has it on the couch, chairs, bed..etc. or someone who has it with the power cord bending to the right or to the left kind of extremely due to necessity.

The funny part is. TECHNICALLY apple's powerbook isn't a laptop, apple goes out of their way to say things like "notebook" "desktop replacement" "portable" or whatever, but they don't say "laptop" because the computers get too hot*, so they advise against using on your lap all the time. So, TECHNICALLY, you're expected to use it mostly on a desk or otherwise flat accommodation that won't stress the power cable.

Bah I say!

this is a serious issue that apple needs to address, It's a damn shame too, since other wise the power adapters are really well designed.

oh yeah, that reminds me, both my sister and my brother's iBooks are breaking at the power cable.

Wrao
2004-07-07, 21:53
This is as crazy as the ipod only lasts 18 months thing. I owned my powerbook for 6 months so far. AC adapter plugged in 99% of the time in use. Maybe he was doing something to it that he didn't notice.

this is a real concern, whereas the iPod battery issue is more of a fluke type thing, this is something that is less a question of how and more of when. unless you always use your powerbook on a desk, or in such a way taht there is practically no stress on the power cable, it WILL break.

Quagmire
2004-07-07, 22:15
this is a real concern, whereas the iPod battery issue is more of a fluke type thing, this is something that is less a question of how and more of when. unless you always use your powerbook on a desk, or in such a way taht there is practically no stress on the power cable, it WILL break.

Ok, When I saw this thread at first, I thought it meant on desk. So I asked people on ichat who had pbooks on desk. They all said no. So thats why I said it was almost crazy like the ipod battery. Apple then needs to address it but, I am still not signing the petition it is an issue but, no an overwhelming issue like a computer flaw. I think apple will fix it when G5 Powerbooks come because most likely it will use a new power source so it will demand a higher or lower voltage to keep it charged.

autodata
2004-07-07, 22:46
I've had two or three fail on me since they introduced them. They've always replaced the brick under warranty.

sunrain
2004-07-08, 00:46
Hey everyone...

I have had loads of problems with my Powerbook charger...

I have two broken ones and a third one is on its last legs. These problems prompted me to make a website...

check it out here!

http://emeraldgardens.ie/powerbrick/index.htm

and make sure you sign the petition I have linked to!!!

Stephen.

I would have an electrician check for fluctuations in your power at home.

Mac+
2004-07-08, 05:20
I had a Power adaptor go on my Ti550. Gave me a scare - since I thought that my Hard Drive was dying when the charger was cycling through in an attempt to charge. Kept making this 'tick tick tick' sound - it couldn't keep the charge consistent.

Anyway, Apple replaced the adaptor - but not the extension cord that goes with it. That was the next thing to go. :rolleyes:

Everything has been replaced now and all is fine - "power adaptor-wise". However, the battery is definitely on its last legs - it has been about 3 years. I can manage about twenty minutes of work before it shuts down with no warning. :( These days, whenever I have to take the PB with me the adaptor comes along and gets plugged in every single time! (I used to bring it along only as a backup - but it is a necessity now. :shrugs: )

dark0rbit
2004-07-12, 22:42
First of all, I completely agree with you about the Apple's power adapters. I work at an Apple repair store and I see too many go bad too fast. That being so, Apple does cover the chargers fully under warranty if they go bad, so if you get it replaced stop complaining!

Secondly, if you want a high quality power adapter get one bearing this mark:

http://www.battery-biz.com/highcapacity.asp

I haven't ever seen one of their adapters go bad ever, so get those!!!

Good luck everyone!

Consumer investigation
2006-10-03, 13:34
I am an attorney who represents a client (in a class action case) who has had similar problems with his Apple 65w adapters. I am conducting an investigation into his claims. If you are interested in talking to me about problems you have had with your adapter sparking, fraying, prematurely failing, melting, if you would like a long wet blowjob, enjoy 3-ways, watersports, etc, you can reach me at: email removed.

Engine Joe
2006-10-03, 14:15
Sounds like a solicitation for representation that is carefully-worded so as to not technically count as solicitation. I don't know CA attorney rules and codes (CA being the bar to which you are presumably admitted), but this is pretty borderline in NY and could have resulted in sanctions or discipline for solicitation.

(well being a class action, you've got more leewayto get your 'message' out, but I can tell you that this is not the message board to do it on)

Mugge
2006-10-03, 14:33
I would have an electrician check for fluctuations in your power at home.

Sounds like a good idea.

I am an attorney who represents a client (in a class action case) who has had similar problems with his Apple 65w adapters. I am conducting an investigation into his claims. If you are interested in talking to me about problems you have had with your adapter sparking, fraying, prematurely failing, melting, etc, you can reach me at: investigations@zeldeslaw.com.

If you really are a lawyer you would probably know what Engine Joe just pointed out. Which prompts me to think that you are either a less honourable one of the kind or a common troll. Besides both you and our OP are doing what I would consider spamming. That is, using AN to gain attention for your own petitions, business or whatever.

Brad
2006-10-03, 14:40
Besides both you and our OP are doing what I would consider spamming.
We have a winner!

Besides, this thread is more than two years old.

http://forums.applenova.com/images/dancing-lock.gif