PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Upgrades: any idea when?

mowenbrown
2005-07-28, 15:05
I am interested in buying a new PB (15"), but have heard rummors that there is a refresh of the product line afoot. I want to get something that is going to see me through until the Intel Mac's are past the initial bugs & issues. This is a discressionary purchase, so I could wait for years, but I am not sure I have the will power to go past mid september, or october 1st. Should I wait till then, or stop at the apple store on the way home from work?

DMBand0026
2005-07-28, 15:08
No idea. Earliest would probably be September in Paris.

Edit: Stop at the Apple Store. If nothing else you can drool over all the cool stuff there. If you keep waiting, you know something is going to come out one day that's going to be better than your PowerBook. Buy now, use it, love it, and be happy.

jondaapplegeek
2005-07-29, 05:14
i think if there is an update, its going to be very simple. Propably just on of the BTO options becoming standard. Whyw ait? I haven't :D

_Ω_
2005-07-29, 05:33
i think if there is an update, its going to be very simple. Propably just on of the BTO options becoming standard. Whyw ait? I haven't :D

Going to funny on Tuesday when they update :p

;)

mowenbrown
2005-07-29, 07:40
I know, the day after I buy the price will drop, and there will be some cool little gimmick added to fuel the buying frenzy inspite of the impending chip-switch.... It'll be something almost useless, but I will be mad I dont have it every time I am sitting at my favorite coffee shop working, and the person next to me does... Damn me and my materialistic ways...

saschke
2005-07-30, 09:36
haha, i have the same problem mowenbrown. not sure what to do...
i currently own a mac mini and ps speed is awful. when i start uni in fall i want a full spec'ed pb - but i want the new intel stuff somehow :)

jondaapplegeek
2005-07-30, 09:47
just 'accidently' tip your coffee on it.

I also heard the pb's dont mind white wine spilt on them - but deff. not red!!! hehe - just a little random fact from someone who repairs them!

saschke
2005-07-30, 09:55
you mean i should get one now or the next revision when it's not too late and then "destroy" it to let applecare do the rest and give me a new one??? :D eeehmm... or am i totally wrong with your suggestion?

jondaapplegeek
2005-07-31, 09:00
i waz thinkin tip coffee on the other persons

and the person next to me does.

but you idea is probably much better - and keeps you out of troubble at the same time!

Meltedbutter421
2005-08-01, 12:29
just 'accidently' tip your coffee on it.

I also heard the pb's dont mind white wine spilt on them - but deff. not red!!! hehe - just a little random fact from someone who repairs them!

i might try it with an iBook... but never a powerbook

mowenbrown
2005-08-02, 08:11
The store was down, my Amex card was out..... and all that popped up was a new mouse. Which I will surely add to my order when they bump the line-up. Do you think a min of 256mb of vram will be too much to hope for, even if I am willing to pat for it?

billybobsky
2005-08-03, 20:11
So I killed my 17 incher in a fit of fury... Ok, not really... it fell of my lab bench, lived for a couple more days then the disk bit it... The repairs will cost about as much as the machine is selling for used, so economics tells me to buy a new one since I will be replacing this current computer at some point. I have access to a computer at work and don't need one at home currently, so is the recommendation of everyone here to wait?

onlyafterdark
2005-08-03, 21:38
If you can wait, wait. It should be well worth it.

jondaapplegeek
2005-08-04, 08:28
and all that popped up was a new mouse.
ALL that poped up?!? a two 'button' mouse is a big thing for apple!!!

Banana
2005-08-04, 09:34
I may be in market for a PB. I'd like to know how much real performance they give now. After years of peecees and the distortion of mhz myth, I have totally no clue how a 1.67 ghz G4 stands in relative to current offering. Can anyone tell me?

I'd buy it before the school, if I'm assured that G4 is still much curent, but would prefer a future proof PB.

Meltedbutter421
2005-08-04, 09:48
I just got the 1.67GHz G4 and i love it... buy one now if you need one or really want one and cant wait (like i did) or have patience (something that i dont have) and wait until september
the only thing that i want and would recomend to do is buy an extra gig... im going for this one http://www.bizrate.com/nc/marketplace/search/search__cat_id--407,keyword--1%20gigabytes%20ram,prod_id--11493405,sort--6.html