PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4 1.67 RAM Questions

adambbraly
2005-07-28, 17:58
For all of you who have a PowerBook with 2GB of RAM, is it worth upgrading from 1GB to 2 concidering the price? If so, where do you suggest I get the RAM? I found that I can get 1GB sticks here (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/2700DDRS1GBC/) at Other World Computing, which is a company I trust, but doesn't that price seem really low? Can I trust it?

EDIT: I figure you might need more info about me. I dont do heaving video editing, etc, but I do use my computer heavily and I like it when I'm not slowed down when multitasking. I've found that I sometimes have only 90mb of free fam when I'm doing certain things, especially using Windows XP in Virtual PC 7. I am going into college and just got this PB and want it to last the whole four years, so I figure the upgrade would be a good idea.

Thanks in advance for your help!

DMBand0026
2005-07-28, 19:37
RAM = Good. Especially with OSX

OWC is good RAM, from what I understand.

More RAM will never hurt. Incur a little cost now and you'll be much happier later.

The reason that you sometimes only have 90mb free RAM isn't necessarily because you're doing a lot, it's because OSX is such an effective manager of memory. If it's available, OSX will put it to work, so your concern about lacking in RAM may not be valid.

That said, if you multitask (or even if you don't) RAM = Good. If you can reasonably afford it and it won't be a burden to you financially, go for it. If nothing else, it will increase the life of your computer because you won't be so compelled to replace it quicker as it will run noticeably faster with the extra RAM.

Brad
2005-07-29, 08:45
Basically, Mac OS X uses RAM to the last drop for caching data for faster future access. That's why your "free" amount is so low. If an application needs more memory, the OS simply dumps out some of that cached information to allocate it.

Like DMB said, more RAM = happier Mac OS X. More RAM means more cached data (and more simultaneously funning apps) and that means a smoother multitasking experience.

adambbraly
2005-07-30, 03:44
And another question, does installing third party RAM void my AppleCare? I cant seem to find an answer on Apple's website.

Brad
2005-07-30, 09:34
No, it will not void your AppleCare warranty. RAM in the slots is considered a user-servicible part.

Actually, that and the battery are the only user-servicible parts in the latest PowerBooks.