PDA

View Full Version : Virtual PC and SuSE 9.1 Compatibility

naren
2004-07-07, 20:17
So I installed SuSE 9.1 onto VPC 6 just for some giggles and I have a few wee issues to resolve. Unlike my copy of XP and 2000 I cannot transfer files to SuSE from my Mac desktop, more importantly I am unable to network the linux OS, I've tried a few things but I'm at a loss right now. I know that VPC was shipped for a while with Red Hat so Linux on VPC can work properly but I'm obviously not going to get much help on this issue from VPC's current distributor.

;)
thanx

Ebby
2004-07-07, 20:29
How long ago did you hear that Red Hat ran on VPC?

I thought about doing this, again just for fun, but ever since Microsoft bought Virtual PC from Connectix, I assumed it wouldn't work and the program would get worse. MS is bound to add some kind of suckey code (DRM & stuff) that prevents this sort of thing.

Barto
2004-07-07, 20:44
RedHat was a supported OS before Microsoft bought VPC. Microsoft didn't change the application when they bought it either, so it should still just work.

Connectix never made VPC Additions for Linux though, which is why drag-n-drop between the host OS and SuSE won't work. And don't count on Microsoft writing Additions for Linux now they own the app. Because they won't for obvious reasons.

No idea about the networking. Try the usual things (ifconfig, lsmod, modprobe <device> blah blah blah).

Barto

naren
2004-07-07, 21:41
Hmmm, it doesn't like my sound card either.... suckage.