PDA

View Full Version : Set-top box, G5 laptop

ATS
2004-07-08, 15:17
I've heard thru the grapevine that a few months ago some ADC members were given the opportunity to test potential Apple products, among them a set-top box and a G5 laptop. This source has proved to be accurate about previous hardware releases...

Dave Hagan
2004-07-08, 18:44
Ummmm...sure...more information is needed to prove your validity.

alcimedes
2004-07-08, 18:49
Not really. Just wait and see. :D

2004-07-08, 19:08
w00t!!! Our first 'inside source' thread! :D

Hmm...ATS? Those last two initials look familiar...

futuretheory
2004-07-08, 19:17
Well, sounds like he was misled. The "set-top box" really was a G5 laptop.... :lol:

ATS
2004-07-08, 20:49
Ummmm...sure...more information is needed to prove your validity.

And what would it take to "prove my validity", exactly? In the real world, things like that only happen under penalty-of-death NDA.

So you should do the same thing as with ANY rumor: file it under "maybe" and take it with a grain of salt. Correlate it against other rumors you may hear and the news you read to see if it makes sense in context.

But there's not going to be any proof.

2004-07-08, 20:57
That tone...that voice...seems like...like...

Damn. I can't place it. I'm going to get a Jack & Coke, or maybe a Frosty mug of something to clear my mind.

evetommy
2004-07-09, 06:14
OK, but your source should have given you some credibele "details" if thrustworthy... so give us the gossip, please ;) !

And what would it take to "prove my validity", exactly? In the real world, things like that only happen under oath-of-death NDA.

So you should do the same thing as with ANY rumor: file it under "maybe" and take it with a grain of salt. Correlate it against other rumors you may hear and the news you read to see if it makes sense in context.

But there's not going to be any proof.

ATS
2004-07-09, 08:08
OK, but your source should have given you some credibele "details" if thrustworthy... so give us the gossip, please ;) !

The G5 PB was described as vaguely similar to current models but obviously a new line, aluminum enclosure, noticable speed improvements. Stable. Used a 1.6GHz chip. Surprisingly, not especially hot. It's since been returned to Cupertino.

No idea about the box, since you only get 1 product to test.

ATS
2004-07-09, 08:09
That tone...that voice...seems like...like...

Damn. I can't place it. I'm going to get a Jack & Coke, or maybe a Frosty mug of something to clear my mind.

You don't need to see his identification....these aren't the droids you're looking for. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/)

2004-07-09, 08:49
I don't need to see his identification. These aren't the droids I'm looking for.

You can go about your business.

Move along, move along.

stangmatt66
2004-07-12, 13:20
Try this on for size:

A friend of mine who works closely with Apple and often tests hardware for them (don't know if he's an ADC member) has been shown a pre-production version of the PB G5 encased in carbon fiber with a band of aluminum wrapping the perimeter of the book, much like the grey stripe on the new iBook G4's when closed. He gave me no performance specs or features of the new PBs, but be assured Apple already has them floating around.

Also, the switch from AL to CF was explained to me that CF was the only material Apple found strong enough to withstand all the vents cut into it to cool the G5.

DMBand0026
2004-07-12, 14:02
How about some pictures or sketches if nothing else of the aforementioned book? Come on, you know you wanna :)

Screw all the NDAs ;)

stangmatt66
2004-07-12, 18:27
How about some pictures or sketches if nothing else of the aforementioned book? Come on, you know you wanna :)

Screw all the NDAs ;)

Can't draw or sketch what I've never seen...

Wrao
2004-07-12, 22:23
You don't need to see his identification....these aren't the droids you're looking for. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/)

Use this next time (http://www.matt-home.freeserve.co.uk/sounds/id.wav)

;)