PDA

View Full Version : Apple Notebook Advice

mvalenstein
2005-08-05, 21:48
I will be having about $1400 to spend on a notebook for high school in the upcoming weeks, and I definitely want an Apple computer, but I have a question?.
Except for the fact that they are incredibly expensive, I'd love to get a powerbook, so my only option for a current model computer is an iBook.

I was visiting an Apple store today and I really don't like the way that the 14" iBook looks (I seriously could not live with a 12" screen, nor do I think that I could live with an XGA resolution), I think it isn't the best designed computer, so the thought crossed my mind about refurbised older models (powerbooks) or older models (that we still NIB). So far I've found a deal where I could get a 15" PB (1.33Ghz, 256 [I'd add another 1gb stick], 60gb) for 1399. Which do you think would be a better deal for me, a 15" older pb with a better screen and graphics, or an ibook with superdrive?

Thanks

Robo
2005-08-06, 00:09
It's, uh, really a judgement call...meaning it's your judgement call.

$1,399 for a 15" widescreen, a 1.33 GHz CPU, 256 MB RAM, better (?) graphics, Combo Drive...
$1,299 for a 14" screen, a 1.42 Ghz GPU, 512 MB, worse (?) graphics, SuperDrive...

Personally, I'd go with the iBook.

I'm not even sure how much better the graphics would be, considering the 1.33 GHz 15" PB is what, two generations back? I admit I haven't been following the Powerbook graphics scene much, but even if the PB's graphics card is noticibly better than the 9550, the iBook bests the PB in every other area (except, as you noted, the screen) and it's $100 cheaper.

But again, this is really a call only you can make. How much do you want a widescreen? A Superdrive? That "new Apple" smell? ;) We can only tell you what we would do in your situation, but that doesn't mean our needs and wants match yours.

I'd go with the iBook, because I really want a DVD burner and it's $100 cheaper.

But it's your call.

Enjoy whatever notebook you decide to get. :D

Franz Josef
2005-08-06, 02:37
I'd be inclined to go for the refurb-ed PB myself, particularly as the you can add RAM (Crucial , Newegg etc) cheaply. I prefer the look and the feel (keyboard) of the PB and the 15" screen is very good indeed.

It's only on certain apps / in certain cirumstances that you will get the benefit of the extra VRAM on the PB so that is likely to be less important. The PB is more expandable and has a faster HD (5400 v 4200 rpm).

Do go for the extra 1GB RAM - I run my PB with max RAM and I found a noticeable speed hike when I added it.

Good luck whichever you choose :)

Edi: re Roboman's point, presumably the PB has a Superdrive ??

mvalenstein
2005-08-06, 05:49
Currently I use a 14" widescreen display, and I have to admit, sometimes it feels a little cramped. I don't think though that the display on the powerbook is cramped at all.

The powerbook in question is I think 1 generation back. I actually think that the product isn't a refurb, and that it's a clearance item still around from when the pb's were last updated.

geneman
2005-08-06, 11:46
I'd throw in another vote for the PB. Most importantly you get a better screen, and compared to the 14" iBook, even in a lighter package. If you add the extra RAM (that goes for both machines) I don't think you'll experience any difference in speed - at least not in day-to-day usage.

As for the SuperDrive, if you really want to burn DVDs get an external later on, it'll be cheap and fast.

Personally I'd also throw the 12" iBook into the equation (same resolution as the 14"), I think it's the best value in any of the portable macs.

(Franz Josef I think it's the 15" combo model, hence no SD)

Robo
2005-08-06, 14:09
The powerbook in question is I think 1 generation back. I actually think that the product isn't a refurb, and that it's a clearance item still around from when the pb's were last updated.

I think it's two revisions back - the current 15" PB is 1.67 GHz, and IIRC, the previous revision was 1.5 GHz, and the one before that was 1.33 GHz, as the one you are considering is.

It does sound like the Powerbook would be best for you, so go for it! I'm just not exactly sure why you asked us ;)

mvalenstein
2005-08-06, 14:58
I think that I'll go with the powerbook. The screen is the most important thing to me. Also, I'm pretty sure that it's only one revision back, because there are two models in every revision, and there was 1.67/1.5 and then 1.5/1.33, and this, I think, is from that revision, however I may be wrong.

Robo
2005-08-06, 16:51
OK, Sorry - I thought that the slower speed each generation was only for the 12" model, but upon checking Apple's site, I realized they do sell a slower 15" model, so you're right, it probably is just one generation back. Forgive me, I don't pay a ton of attention to the 15" and 17" Powerbooks - I'm of the "smaller is better" notebook mentality. :)

Ryan
2005-08-06, 17:44
I bought a refurb Rev.A 12" Powerbook about 15 months ago, and it's been great. I even lucked out on the RAM. It was only supposed to come with 256 megs, but when it came in the mail, I ran System Profiler and it said 640. :)

Sure, I could have gotten a faster processor and slightly larger drive(which, in foresight, would be nice. My hard disk is almost full.), but I wanted the Superdrive and Audio-In. Plus, I saved $400.

mvalenstein
2005-08-07, 15:48
Well since the screen is more important to me than a superdrive or a larger hard disk I think that I'll go with the 15" clearance/refurb. It seems like a very good deal, besides external dvd burners can be had for almost dirt.

Franz Josef
2005-08-07, 15:58
Looks like a great decision - let us know how it pans out :)