PDA

View Full Version : Stereo for Airport Express

Mugge
2005-08-06, 07:02
Ok. So I have finally got my act together and ordered an Airport Express. But I suddenly realize I don't have any stereo to use with it any more - it got stolen last year. I know it's a stupid thing to forget, but I had my mind on other things, and I may have put it off because I really don't know anything at all about hi-fi.

What I'm looking for, is something simple with digital radio (DAB - it seems to be all the rage) and an aux-in capability of course. It doesn't need to be big and loud, since my living room isn't very big, but I would like it to look nice.

So what do you guys mate your AP Express with, and have you heard of anything that might fir my criteria?

:)

Franz Josef
2005-08-06, 09:29
I use mine with a Bose - not quite what you're looking for but excellent sound quality.

http://tinypic.com/a2f30m.jpg

Because AE works anything with RCA in you can really buy what you like.

atomicbartbeans
2005-08-06, 10:00
Although there's no radio, try these (http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=130345&cmArea=SEARCH). Great sound, and only 50 bucks. If you want to try them out, most Stapleses have a display model.

As for the radio, why not get a radio shark and stream it through your mac?

Mugge
2005-08-06, 10:42
The reason I want DAB is so that it can be used independently from the mac or PC, if I for example just want to read a book and listen to classical music. My CD collection is obsolete and the remaining CD's will probably get imported to iTunes, so I don't need a CD player or anything else.

The Bose is pretty, but no DAB unfortunately.

The speakers look like the ones I use for my PC, but no DAB unfortunately.

I guess what I want is a DAB radio with RCA input.

But thanks for replying :)

BarracksSi
2005-08-06, 12:54
I plugged my AE into my home theater.

Different from your plans, I know, but just thought I'd say it anyway.. lol

euain
2005-08-06, 16:14
The AE works great with HiFi seperates.. then you have great sound and complete flexibility.

We've got:
Arcam A65+ -> http://www.arcam.co.uk/prod_diva_A65_intro.cfm
Dynaudio Audience 42 speakers -> http://www.dynaudiousa.com/products/audience/42/aud42.htm
About to get:
Pure DRX-702ES DAB tuner - http://www.pure-digital.com/Products/Product.asp?Product=VL-60659

And are very happy with the set up! :)

Mugge
2005-08-08, 11:47
Nice setup euain. But perhaps a little more than I was looking for.

I guess I'll have to leave the safety of my home and go browse some hi-fi / radio stores...

OnStage
2005-08-08, 15:15
Try www.tivoliaudio.com They're a little off the beaten path but their stuff sounds wonderfull (easily on par with BOSE). I see they now have a Sirius DAB radio, and I think it has a line in you could use with the AE.
Beyond that I'd look at seperates, though you don't need to go quite as upscale as euain! Nice speakers, I'm envious (although I sub would really be the ticket with that system!
my .02
john

Kiren
2005-08-08, 17:32
well, I use mine as an input on my home theater setup, Pioneer VSX-1015TX and a mix of polk R & RTi series speakers. However for a less elaborate setup I'd just get decent stereo reciever (I've found Onkyo and Pioneer to both be quite decent) and a pair of Polk R15's. While not incredibly high end, you really can't beat them for the price. (I picked mine up new for about $60 after tax for the pair) They have excellent range, which is always important, but particularly as you mention classical music. I use them at my desk upstairs, and am consistently amazed at the quality of sound for the price.

scrouds
2005-08-08, 20:09
i second tivoli audio. i managed to buy 2 PAL radios w/ aux in that noiw serve as my computer speakers. they have an amazing soundstage and clarity for such small speakers. the radio is set up with just 1 speaker, and the pair is amazing.

sunrain
2005-08-08, 22:02
Yeah I have two Tivoli Audio stereos (although neither with DAB) and they have fantastic sound quality for their size. Both are hooked up to Airport Expresses and they work great. I've also got an Airport Express hooked up to my main system, so I've got AirTunes available in the house everywhere I need. It's very slick.

Mugge
2005-08-11, 10:17
Ok. Maybe I'll take a second look at Tivoli. But I also listen to a little metal, so the speakers can't be too smallish.

I've just got the AP Express and hooked it up to my PC's powered speakers and sub*, and got quite a shock: When I selected the speakers and started Van Richter (metal netradio in iTunes) it all started out at an explosive volume level.

I swear. The sub was sitting next to my right leg and it felt like a .50 cal bullet missed it with a half meter or so, and the sound almost knocked my ear drums in :eek:

:lol: Damn that feisty little bastard! The line out on the iBook doesn't yield nearly the same noise.

*) PC is temporarily mothballed due to overclocking issues :grumble: