PDA

View Full Version : 12"1.33powerbook¿cache?

tufter
2004-07-09, 14:46
hi, my 12"1.33powerbook has suddenly spawned a new 'control panel' in the system preferences.....it's called 'hardware' and it's in a new section called 'other'....

when opened it has the title of 'POWERPC (null) v0.0 (tech 0)'...

the thing is it - there's this menu called level2 cache with a 'none' option and a '512'k option... when I change it to '512k' it just returns to 'none' whenever I re-open system prefs....

WHERE IS MY LEVEL2 CACHE? anyone else get this.....I'm sure it wasn't there when I first got the machine....

darshu
2004-07-09, 15:47
hi, my 12"1.33powerbook has suddenly spawned a new 'control panel' in the system preferences.....it's called 'hardware' and it's in a new section called 'other'....

when opened it has the title of 'POWERPC (null) v0.0 (tech 0)'...

the thing is it - there's this menu called level2 cache with a 'none' option and a '512'k option... when I change it to '512k' it just returns to 'none' whenever I re-open system prefs....

WHERE IS MY LEVEL2 CACHE? anyone else get this.....I'm sure it wasn't there when I first got the machine....

The Hardware pane comes from "CHUD" (Computer Hardwared Understanding D... somethign) part of the OS X developer tools. However the version that ships with XCode 1.2 which is CHUD 3.5, I believe, doesn't appear to recognize the MPC7447 A in the new Powerbooks as I found out myself when I got my new powerbook.

If you go and run the CHUD Updater, which I believe is in /Developer/Utilities/CHUD or something similar (I'm on a PC right now so I can't check) it will give you option of upgrading to the beta 4.0b1. That new version will correctly report the CPU and L2 cache status. However if you don't want to update it, I don't think the old version will disable the L2 cache at all, I think it's just reporting the data incorrectly.

tufter
2004-07-10, 05:16
yeah, i recently installed the developer tools and that's when this thing must have appeared....thanks man - I figured my cache was still enabled but I did think it a little strange.....anyway, will have a go at fixing it.... thanks again....

naren
2004-07-11, 19:35
Wow, it's good to know what that thing was finally.

darshu
2004-07-11, 20:31
Oh and just as a final note, if you have the proper version installed, setting it to "None" really should disable the L2 cache. But with that older version on the new Powerbooks, it really does appear to do nothing.