PDA

View Full Version : Where could I get a bigger HD for a 12" 1.5Ghz PB?

MacUser06
2005-08-07, 21:28
Where could I get a bigger HD for a 12" 1.5Ghz PB?

Is it tough to install?

How much would it cost me?

I have the opportunity to get a 12" PB, but it has a 60 GB HD and I would really prefer a larger HD.

Thanks!

Brad
2005-08-07, 22:07
You'd be better off adding an external drive and just keep your must-have files on the internal drive. An external drive will be cheaper, faster, and have a larger capacity.

You cannot change the internal drive yourself. If you try, you'll void your warranty. If you really insist on replacing it, you'll need to take it to a certified Apple tech. to do the job.

MacUser06
2005-08-07, 22:27
Any idea how much certified Apple Techs charge to change a HD?

FFL
2005-08-07, 22:43
It's a couple hours of labor, so it won't be cheap. Many certified Apple Techs will not even open an under-warranty machine to add non-Apple parts.

60 GB isn't that small for a laptop drive. You'd be much better off adding a huge 3.5" external firewire drive, or a 2.5" if you want to retain full portability.

MacUser06
2005-08-08, 00:00
You'd be much better off adding a huge 3.5" external firewire drive, or a 2.5" if you want to retain full portability.
Are there any bus powered firewire drives that you would recommend for price and reliability?

Thanks~

Franz Josef
2005-08-08, 00:49
LaCie with triple interface are good - http://www.lacie.com/ . Their Triple Interface drives ship with FW400, FW800 and USB2.0.

NosferaDrew
2005-08-08, 01:00
It is tough to install.

My HD died in my 12" PB because I dropped it, so I tried to replace it.
It's not an easy thing to do and my PB never recovered. :(
Now I have a iBook and a PB that I can sell for parts.

Just get an external.

Swing
2005-08-09, 14:20
One of my concerns before moving to a 12" PB as the base for my main system was it's hard drive capacity, and my PB has 100GB.

I decided to forget about the PB's hd capacity constraints for the most part and instead use external drives, and so use two external 300gb drives in a RAID setup (USB 2, FW400and FW800 capable- though of course running at FW400 w/my 12" PB) which took about two minutes to setup with OS 10.4.

The performance is pretty decent and with the RAID I do not worry about backup (which was always a hassle for me to maintain and monitor its scheduling). And when I need to use the PB on the go I just copy some files over and I am off.

I only use about 40GB on the internal hd; and I surprisingly prefer it that way since 10.4 likes to page memory and does a hell of a job doing so even along with my PB's 1.25GB ram. In fact, in retrospect I would not have upgraded the hd capacity and would have taken the 80GB standard w/the superdrive model.