PDA

View Full Version : Split Bluetooth Keyboard

gjas15
2005-08-11, 02:01
I was wondering if anyone here knows of a split/ergonomic bluetooth keyboard. I would get one of logitechs non bluetooth wireless keyboard/mouse combos with the split keyboard but I want to get the mx1000 not the optical mouse it comes with.

My keyboard just went on the fritz today and ive wanted to get a wireless for awhile but I love having a split keyboard its so much easier on my shoulders than my powerbook. I've searched and searched and wondered if anyone here has found anything.

This (http://www.macally.com/spec/bluetooth/btkey.html) Macally keyboard sounds good (and looks like its a wireless ice key with the great scissor switches) but its not available yet. :\

On the other hand I really need a keyboard so if any of you know of a really good bluetooth keyboard feel free to post. I don't want a keyboard/mouse combo (if its bluetooth), I've heard too many bad things about them. I am a gamer so a good mouse that doesnt skip is a priority :D

Luca
2005-08-11, 02:24
You should just get a non-Bluetooth wireless keyboard if you're getting a non-Bluetooth mouse. Bluetooth offers no advantages for keyboards if you're using a non-Bluetooth mouse. The main reason you get Bluetooth is to reduce clutter. If you have a single Bluetooth adapter, you can use that for your keyboard and mouse, as well as any other Bluetooth devices you have (i.e. cell phones, headsets). But if you already have a receiving station for a mouse, why not get a standard wireless keyboard too? You'll open up TONS of options and end up spending a lot less too.

Unfortunately it looks like the only Logitech split wireless keyboard (indeed their only split keyboard period) is the one provided with the Cordless Comfort Duo. It's expensive, at $99 MSRP or $78 shipped from NewEgg. Plus you'd end up tossing out the mouse.

You might want to look at Microsoft for the keyboard. MS makes a lot more split keyboards than Logitech, and has been probably the biggest maker of such keyboards for several years. I'm not a big fan of MS's mice (they feel cheaply put together to me), but their keyboards are pretty good, almost as good as Logitech's. If you want a split, ergonomic keyboard, look at Microsoft.

Dang, I looked around and it's hard to find any wireless ergo keyboards. Even Microsoft, which has several cheap, low end wired ergo keyboards, doesn't have a wireless ergo keyboard for a low price at all. There's a $50 (from NewEgg) set that has a semi-ergo keyboard and a cheap wireless mouse, but it's not the split kind, it's the kind that just has the keys laid out in a curved pattern. Their wireless split keyboard, like Logitech's, is only available in a keyboard/mouse set for a very high price (nearly $100).

I think you should consider a wired keyboard. It'll cost you $20. Why does it need to be wireless anyway? It's just a keyboard.

gjas15
2005-08-11, 03:25
I guess I can get a wired until something comes along that I like. I wanted a wireless for my hometheater (salling clicker is good but sometimes a mouse and keyboard is just required). Also, since my powerbook has built in bluetooth I could free up a usb port by using one. I currently use it for salling clicker and syncing my Nokia 6620.

Price of a video phone $300
Movie of drunk friend hitting on another guy to show to his girlfriend.
Priceless

The problem is I have a sonica theater that outputs digital audio to my receiver and it cant be connected through any other device. Then my keyboard/mouse use the other USB port. So that leaves me with no USB ports free unless I connect it to the free port on my keyboard or disconnect something. I already have one hub on my desk thats used for my server and its misc usb devices: old iMac mini keyboard, printer, tape drive, etc..

Oh if apple would just make a styish dock/port replicator for their powerbooks! hint hint HINT!! This thing looks like the center of a spider web when its on my desk. B&W Studio Display (or S-video to TV), gigabit connection to server, keyboard/mouse, firewire iPod, printer, headphones, power, and the list goes on.

If anyone working in Apple's Industrial Design sector reads this post if you were to design what I pointed out above you would sell a gajillion!

Anyway to get back on topic... A bluetooth keyboard would be nice just to reduce some of the cable clutter and free up a usb port for a nice Logitech MX1000 ;)

Edit: Crap, now that I think about it Ill have to buy a hub anyway... that is unless I feel like unplugging my mouse to print :err:

gjas15
2005-08-11, 03:59
Since there doesn't seem to be any split BT keyboards, can anyone recommend a good split ergo keyboard? Preferably, has something close to the feel of the powerbook keyboard. I love the powerbook keyboard's feel but I need something more ergonomic for those long, all nighter typing sessions two days before a paper is due :smokey:

Since school is starting and all...