PDA

View Full Version : Best wireless router?

DMBand0026
2005-08-11, 12:56
My old Netgear (not sure of the model, but it's an 802.11b only) is dying, the poor thing is on its last legs. The signal drops out pretty frequently and I can barely get a signal with my PowerBook at times, and than a few seconds later (without having moved the computer) it's full, than a few seconds later (still without having moved the computer) the signal will be so low that my computer says it's not even connected to the internet. No, it's not because of added interference, I'm 100% certain of that.

So I'm in the market for a new router. I've looked at a couple of reviews and searched the forums here but I haven't found anything that really makes me jump with excitement. Actually, to be honest I'm unimpressed. Cnet gives good reviews to a handful of routers, but the user opinions all hover around 5.5 or lower. Not exactly great stuff. So does anyone have any recommendations for something good? I trust you guys a lot more than I trust Cnet's users or editors.

I just want a good router that has good range, possibly one that I can use with my AirPort Express (I hear Linksys has a firmware update you can implement so you can extend the range with a APExpress). Most of all I want good range and security, and reliability wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Franz Josef
2005-08-11, 12:59
I've heard a couple of people say Linksys build quality has deteriorated of late. Not first hand, I use an Airport Extreme Base Station. D-Link maybe?

DMBand0026
2005-08-11, 13:04
I looked at the D-Link DI-624 which seemed okay. Cnet rated it pretty well as did the Cnet users. However, there's always a few people thrown in that have horrible problems that kind of scare me away, so that's why I asked you guys.

tomster2300
2005-08-11, 13:06
I use a linksys wireless / wired router. It's the wireless - b model. I'm extremely new here and am not sure which works best for macs, but I know for everything else linksys is usually recommended the most. With my router I run a linksys cable modem and they've run well for years. I used to have a d-link modem long time ago which died on me. They're popular due to their usual lower price, but they're squat quality wise. If somebody knows that they work poorly with Macs then I apologize in advance.

EDIT: Those guys got in before me. I bought my hardware a couple of years ago, so if their quality has deteriorated then get one with a grain of salt.

gjas15
2005-08-11, 16:34
I have an Asus WL-300g b/g wireless router. I love it, the only thing I dont like about it is I cant use WDS + WPA but oh well. Atleast MAC filtering and WPA work at the same time. It also supports WPA 2 and the OS is based on Linux so there are a lot of *modded* firmwares out there to add cool features that Asus hasnt added yet. Also has an external antenna port so if you dont get the range you need just add a powered external antenna to boost the signal.

Brad
2005-08-11, 16:46
I use a linksys wireless / wired router. It's the wireless - b model. I'm extremely new here and am not sure which works best for macs, but I know for everything else linksys is usually recommended the most.
FYI, anything with an Ethernet, 802.11b, or 802.11g connection should work just as well with Macs as it does any other device, PC or otherwise. :)

ast3r3x
2005-08-11, 17:31
I thought US Robotics made good ones?

I have a D-Link 614+ and like it a lot. Prefer it to my Apple Base Station at least.

tomster2300
2005-08-11, 17:51
FYI, anything with an Ethernet, 802.11b, or 802.11g connection should work just as well with Macs as it does any other device, PC or otherwise. :)

:) Now I know. Thanks!

turtle
2005-08-11, 18:05
I use Linksys and have really enjoyed it. There are many firmware updates out there that will allow you to modify from the stock and do other things beyond the norm. My router is a new one and it works great through several walls in my apartment. This (http://www.linksysinfo.org/) site has a lot of info that is really helpful. Hope this helps.
Tony

AsLan^
2005-08-11, 21:31
I have an Asus WL-300g b/g wireless router. I love it, the only thing I dont like about it is I cant use WDS + WPA but oh well. Atleast MAC filtering and WPA work at the same time. It also supports WPA 2 and the OS is based on Linux so there are a lot of *modded* firmwares out there to add cool features that Asus hasnt added yet. Also has an external antenna port so if you dont get the range you need just add a powered external antenna to boost the signal.

I have the WL-530g, its also a great model.

Satchmo
2005-08-11, 21:35
Using a D-Link DI-514 (802.11b) for the last 4 months with little or no problems.
Perhaps someone can confirm, but my understanding is that unless you're transferring files between machines, the 802.11b is fast enough for high speed surfing.

Brad
2005-08-11, 21:45
Generally, yes. 802.11b offers a maximum theoretical throughput of 54 Mbps which translates to 6.76 MB/sec. Keep in mind, though, that this is a theoretical maximum and that lots of factors will likely prevent you from actually achieving that.

Still, even a fifth of that speed is more than most broadband providers offer.

switchr92
2005-08-15, 01:01

I don't know for certain, so if your sure, please correct me, but I heard that linksys won't configure with a mac... it would work, but only if a PC configures it. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but check it out if you aren't sure.

Brad
2005-08-15, 01:08
Linksys doesn't need to be "configured" by the CD!

The CD that comes with a Linksys router is only for complete numbskull PC users who don't know an Ethernet port from a serial port. ;)

All you really have to do is plug in the cables for the router and you're practically done! The default name for the Linksys' wireless access is something like "linksys" or "default" (I can't recall exactly). Simply choose that from the AirPort menu. When you want to configure the router, point any web browser on a connected Mac (or PC) to http://192.168.1.1 and enter the login/password as admin/admin.

naren
2005-08-15, 03:12
I'd swear there is a thread, almost identical to this one floating about the forums... Or was that last year? Can't remember...

Brad
2005-08-15, 03:19
A peek down at the Similar Threads here shows one that I started a month ago called Linksys vs. Netgear Wireless Router (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=8127). Is that what you're thinking of?

DMBand0026
2005-08-15, 10:14
I looked at that one but decided to start another one since Brad had narrowed his down to two different routers that he was looking at and I don't want to limit myself to just those two. If that's not okay than feel free to close this thread. :)

staph
2005-08-15, 10:23
Generally, yes. 802.11b offers a maximum theoretical throughput of 54 Mbps which translates to 6.76 MB/sec. Keep in mind, though, that this is a theoretical maximum and that lots of factors will likely prevent you from actually achieving that.

Still, even a fifth of that speed is more than most broadband providers offer.

You mean 802.11g, right? 802.11b has a max throughput of 11Mbps.

For what it's worth, I usually get 3.8–4 MiB/sec in my smallish flat on a WRT54G (that 32Mbps), which is pretty acceptable on the stock firmware, I think.

BTW: Linksys configuration pages don't always live at 192.168.1.1 — they're sometimes at 192.168.1.50, or even 192.168.1.100. You should check the little two page leaflet in the box to work out which it is for that particular device. At any rate, you can get to them through your web browser, given the correct IP address.

FFL
2005-08-15, 11:11
I looked at that one but decided to start another one since Brad had narrowed his down to two different routers that he was looking at and I don't want to limit myself to just those two. If that's not okay than feel free to close this thread. :)
Well, per your original post, the Linksys has the best chance of doing WDS with your AEX, so TYG*

*There You Go.
Feeling a bit acronym-happy, must be a Monday thing.

turtle
2005-08-15, 13:59
I just set up another WRT54G in WDS mode for my apartment and it seems to be working great. I don't know how to configure it with AEX but I got my info from LinksysInfo (http://www.linksysinfo.org/). There are more things there than most people would do with their Linksys.

Wickers
2005-08-15, 14:15
I have a WRT54gc.
It has never caused me trouble.. .rock solid.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=12

Brad
2005-08-15, 22:14
You mean 802.11g, right? 802.11b has a max throughput of 11Mbps.Crap. Yeah, stupid typo. :|

Chinney
2005-08-16, 20:56
In these various threads on wireless routers, nobody seems to mention the Airport Base Station. Anything wrong with the Apple product in this category – other than the somewhat highish price?

sunrain
2005-08-16, 21:36
In these various threads on wireless routers, nobody seems to mention the Airport Base Station. Anything wrong with the Apple product in this category – other than the somewhat highish price?
I have one and I like it. The antenna port is nice and of course the software side is brilliant. It was more, but it's the easiest wireless router I've ever configured. Probably not the smartest buy I've made, but I like it nonetheless.

...it's got personality. And personality goes a long way. ;)

FFL
2005-08-16, 21:39
There's also the potentially annoying fact that the ABS only has one LAN port, whereas the 3rd party routers have 4 or 5.

Brad
2005-08-16, 21:41
There's also the potentially annoying fact that the ABS only has one LAN port, whereas the 3rd party routers have 4 or 5.
This is the primary reason I will not and can not ever purchase an Apple's AirPort Base Station. I would easily spend the extra chunk of cash on it to support my favorite technology company if the ABS offered LAN ports, but it seems Apple has long suffered myopia in this department.

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone, too. C'est la vie.

switchr92
2005-08-16, 23:22
This is the primary reason I will not and can not ever purchase an Apple's AirPort Base Station. I would easily spend the extra chunk of cash on it to support my favorite technology company if the ABS offered LAN ports, but it seems Apple has long suffered myopia in this department.

I agree. I already have a airport express, and I'm going to buy a linksys/netgear/belkin (depending on best deal) to replace it, so I can plug my desktop into it via ethernet (faster) and still have wireless network for my iBook. So annoying.

sunrain
2005-08-17, 00:35

Lucky me. i only need one LAN port for my XBox. Everything else is wireless. If I ever got stuck, I'd be happy to use a switch. :)

infoterror
2005-08-17, 01:42
I've heard a couple of people say Linksys build quality has deteriorated of late.

I'll second that. Since Cisco bought them...

DMBand0026
2005-08-17, 01:48
This is one thing that it's really hard to get a straight answer on. The reason everything is rated at or around 5 at Cnet.com is because half the people that rate the products say they're a 10 and they'd allow that product to bear their children if it were possible. But the other half give it a 1 and say it isn't worth their piss.

I'm kind of hearing the same thing from here too. Some say <insert product name here> is incredible and amazing, while others retort with a hardy laugh and say that said product is nothing but crap and not worth the trouble. Looks like it's hit or miss for me. I'll let you guys know what I end up deciding and how everything works out.

Regardless, thanks for the advice. :)

infoterror
2005-08-17, 01:51
This is one thing that it's really hard to get a straight answer on. The reason everything is rated at or around 5 at Cnet.com is because half the people that rate the products say they're a 10 and they'd allow that product to bear their children if it were possible. But the other half give it a 1 and say it isn't worth their piss.

Now you see a problem with democracy: not every opinion is worth hearing. I'd find a qualified opinion, such as someone who installs or has used the equipment. I'll be honest: I haven't had a chance to use a netGear in depth. Working with BSD has made me more conscious of chipset than actual brandname.

Wickers
2005-08-17, 01:53
I'd like to add a good note on Linksys build quality....

Only because my router is, once again, rock solid.

I've never had to reset it, or hard reset it... it has always done it's job, and my god this thing is cute.

I would not think twice about buying my WRT54GC again should I be given the choice.

infoterror
2005-08-17, 01:57
I would not think twice about buying my WRT54GC again should I be given the choice.

Was it a pre- or post-Cisco unit?

Wickers
2005-08-17, 02:00
Now you see a problem with democracy: not every opinion is worth hearing. I'd find a qualified opinion, such as someone who installs or has used the equipment. I'll be honest: I haven't had a chance to use a netGear in depth. Working with BSD has made me more conscious of chipset than actual brandname.

You are correct about the chipset thing... but there is still a brand name issues too, or the production quality of the unit.

For example, I stay the hell away from SiS based chips... in ANY type of solution they have been used with.

Why? Simply because out of my experience as a PC tech for the past few years now, SiS is just cheap crap.

Now where does difference come in? I would buy a SiS based computer if it were provided by IBM, or Sony. For each of the two have taken SiS chips and created rock solid PCs.

Dubble standard? Yes, because the build quality on an ECS motherboard using SiS chips is not even in the same ball park as the build quality out of an IBM or Sony branded board.

The attraction to SiS is their features to price ratio... they are cheap, offer good bang for your buck, and have a lot of stuff under the hood. Which is why ECS and many other 'value' companies use them...

So in the end, SiS is still crap, by the brands that use it. . . just not all of them.

Wickers
2005-08-17, 02:02
Was it a pre- or post-Cisco unit?

Post.
A new model... read my first post in this thread for a link to a review on this unit.

It's not your average WRT router.

infoterror
2005-08-17, 02:35
Why? Simply because out of my experience as a PC tech for the past few years now, SiS is just cheap crap.

Now where does difference come in? I would buy a SiS based computer if it were provided by IBM, or Sony. For each of the two have taken SiS chips and created rock solid PCs.

Dubble standard? Yes, because the build quality on an ECS motherboard using SiS chips is not even in the same ball park as the build quality out of an IBM or Sony branded board.

I don't think it's a double standard. The motherboard is the sum of its parts. The chipset can be weak but, if compensated for with the rest of the board, might turn out OK. Still, I've got certain superstitions about some manufacturers who have created flaky stuff in the past.

infoterror
2005-08-17, 02:40
A new model... read my first post in this thread for a link to a review on this unit.

Not a bad review. Well structured, covers all the right topics, does not wax boring for the most part. However, badly needs an edit for word efficiency :)

turtle
2005-08-17, 06:45
DMB, I think you'll find that with most product lines. A big plus in my book for the Linksys is the firmware modifications.

Chinney
2005-08-17, 09:33
I agree. I already have a airport express, and I'm going to buy a linksys/netgear/belkin (depending on best deal) to replace it, so I can plug my desktop into it via ethernet (faster) and still have wireless network for my iBook. So annoying.

But can’t you do this with the Airport Base Station? It does have one LAN port, does it not? And a USB printer port?

What you want to do is exactly what I am thinking of doing. I want to plug in my iMac G5 directly to the router and then network our kids’ (soon to be purchased) Mac wirelessly and also allow my wife’s IBM laptop to network wirelessly, all of us using the same DSL internet connection and printer through the router. An Airport Base Station can do this, no?

Bryson
2005-08-17, 09:58
But can’t you do this with the Airport Base Station? It does have one LAN port, does it not? And a USB printer port?

The Airport Express has ONE LAN socket - the one he'll need to connect to the Broadband modem. He won't be able to plug in his desktop.

Unless....isn't a cheap Ethernet switch the solution?

Chinney
2005-08-17, 10:35
The Airport Express has ONE LAN socket - the one he'll need to connect to the Broadband modem. He won't be able to plug in his desktop.

Unless....isn't a cheap Ethernet switch the solution?

From the Apple website: " This AirPort Extreme Base Station model includes a 56K V.90 modem for dialup connections in addition to a 10/100BASE-T RJ-45 Ethernet WAN port for Internet access via DSL or cable modems and a 10/100BASE-T RJ-45 Ethernet LAN port for connecting computers and printers."

Does that not mean you can connect the computer to the LAN port and connect the broadband modem to the WAN? I really don't know, since I have no experience with any of this. But I want to find out, since I am likely going to be setting up something along these lines pretty soon.

Bryson
2005-08-17, 10:59
I think we're having one of those Express/Extreme mix-up moments. The OP says he has an Express.

infoterror
2005-08-17, 23:31
What you want to do is exactly what I am thinking of doing. I want to plug in my iMac G5 directly to the router and then network our kids’ (soon to be purchased) Mac wirelessly and also allow my wife’s IBM laptop to network wirelessly, all of us using the same DSL internet connection and printer through the router. An Airport Base Station can do this, no?

I would use the most compatible device, e.g. standard wireless router, instead.

Ryan
2005-08-18, 00:05
The Airport base station is a standard wireless router. It uses 802.11g, just like most on the market. I can use a Netgear/Linksys/D-Link/whatever with an Airport base station so long as it's 802.11b/g.

Res
2005-08-18, 00:24
I used to be a big promoter of SMC products, but after a receiving a couple of bad ones I've been using the Linksys.. I've set up Linksys wireless routers in four houses so far, and they have worked out quite well. I have also used the AirPort Extreme for it wireless printer sharing ability.

Chinney
2005-08-18, 08:35
The Airport base station is a standard wireless router. It uses 802.11g, just like most on the market. I can use a Netgear/Linksys/D-Link/whatever with an Airport base station so long as it's 802.11b/g.

I know, but given that it is an Apple product, I was (and remain) interested in it on the chance that it might just work a bit better. Admittedly, it is more expensive and is not blessed with numerous LAN ports - although that last issue is likely not a factor for the way I want to use it. On the other hand, I speculate that the ABS may well be more reliable. The comments made about other, cheaper wireless routers in this thread and in the previous thread do not fill me with confidence about them. Each had a lot of detractors, especially on issues like frequent, unexplained drop-outs. The Airport Base Station has been criticized for cost and the LAN port issue, but I do not recall criticisms of its reliability and I think that there are some that praised its ease of set-up.

Right now I am leaning toward the ABS.

Ryan
2005-08-18, 10:59
Well, I've never used any other WiFi routers, but I think the only real advantage of the ABS is the software side of it. Other than that, I think it's just a rebranded D-Link(?) router.

squeed
2005-08-18, 14:50
There is one problem with the Linksys WRT-54G and related devices: they don't allow you to configure static IP's in the DHCP server. Which is really annoying, because you wind up setting up things like port forwarding, maybe even filtering, etc, and then your IPs go and change on you.

I know that third-party firmwares can provide this, but if you don't want to take a chance with a sveasoft firmware then this is something to think about.

Spaghetti
2005-08-23, 17:46
I am not sure how into hacking you are, but the Linksys WRT54G or WAP54G is a great router. Especially if you update with the Firmware from these guys: http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpBB2/index.php .

Moogs
2005-08-23, 22:25
I can vouch that the setup for that router was very simple, even though it didn't happen to work well in my house at a relatively close distance to my machine.