PDA

View Full Version : extra 512mb or 1gb RAM?

oli84
2005-08-14, 10:49
I'm debating right now whether to max out my RAM on my 12" iBook. Currently it has 512 and that is definitely not enough for me. I run these applications most of the time:

Mail
Safari
iTunes
iCal
VLC
Adium
Limewire
Your Freedom (HTTP Tunneling Software)
Microsoft Word

For an application usage profile like this how much RAM would you say I need?

If I pick up the 512, in the future I may need more RAM and not be able to add it in without tossing out a stick, but, I can get it for a good deal right now.

On the other hand, I may never need all of the extra 1gb that I'm going to put in for this computer's useful life. That would just turn out to be a waste.

So, what do you guys think?

PS. I'm using the program "Do I Need more memory?" and it says I should have at least 336MB extra of ram based on the last 72 minutes of usage. That number is slowly climbing up as I'm using the computer.

hackysackmaster
2005-08-14, 11:07
if u have the money get the gig, if not u prolly will only ever need the 512

scrouds
2005-08-14, 11:22
if you buy it, you will use it. the OS will make use of it with all those programs open. it will make them run faster. unless you're getting a real good deal on the 512, get the 1 gig.

also, take the case of my iMac flat panel G4. i put an extra 256 into it to max out slots and get 512. i would like more, but since the pc 133 ram is going obsolete, the price is pretty high for the 512 chip in comparason to new ram. and i would have to throw out the 256 chip. something to think about also.

Franz Josef
2005-08-14, 11:26
Without Azureus, Limewire and Freedom I would have said an extra 512MB ie 1GB in total. With them I would strongly recommend you max out with an extra 1GB - you will notice the difference.

oli84
2005-08-14, 11:48
if you buy it, you will use it. the OS will make use of it with all those programs open. it will make them run faster. unless you're getting a real good deal on the 512, get the 1 gig.

also, take the case of my iMac flat panel G4. i put an extra 256 into it to max out slots and get 512. i would like more, but since the pc 133 ram is going obsolete, the price is pretty high for the 512 chip in comparason to new ram. and i would have to throw out the 256 chip. something to think about also.

I can get the 512 RAM for $40 after tax, shipping and $15 rebate. Anyone interested can check it out at www.microcenter.com

The 1gb RAM is around 107.20 after tax, shipping and $15 rebate as well. This one is from www.outpost.com

I honestly am really tempted to get the 1gb stick because I imagine that I can use this laptop for a long time, possibly all the way til Leopard, which I am willing to bet will eat up more RAM than Tiger does now.

tomster2300
2005-08-14, 11:54
How much ram does Tiger use? It can't be that memory intensive. Windows xp runs fine on 256 mb. Usually people only suggest 1 gig for gaming. 512 ought to be enough for everyday usage. (This is from a Windows user).

Why would it be so different?

oli84
2005-08-14, 12:01
How much ram does Tiger use? It can't be that memory intensive. Windows xp runs fine on 256 mb. Usually people only suggest 1 gig for gaming. 512 ought to be enough for everyday usage. (This is from a Windows user).

Why would it be so different?

Tiger is a much bigger memory hog than XP. This is why Apple upped the default memory configurations on their computers to 512mb, because that is when Tiger will run pretty smoothly with the base applications. Otherwise if you start using other programs you will get a lot of hard disk thrashing.

512 is good for a windows machine running many programs and even games at times, but not for a Mac. I used to have an old Dell with 512 and that worked well for me for 3 years. For Mac machines though, since the OS is pretty good with utilizing RAM, you can stick in as much as you want and it will be used up.