PDA

View Full Version : Education discount question

eochs
2005-08-18, 19:39
I am currently not in school (taking a year off, going back in January) I still have my student ID from the University of Texas, and the ID doesn't have any dates on it (no way to tell if I am still in school or not)... Does the Apple store actually check with the school to see if you are a current student, or do I just have to show them my student ID?

scrouds
2005-08-18, 19:59
AUDIT RIGHTS
Apple routinely audits the purchases of customers at the Apple Store for Education to insure that only eligible purchases have ordered and that all purchase conditions have been observed. Should an audit disclose after delivery (or should Apple otherwise discover) that you were not an eligible purchaser at the time you placed your order or that you have not observed all of the conditions applicable to your purchase, you authorize Apple:

* If you placed your order by credit card, to charge to your credit card the difference between the amount you paid for the delivered goods and the price that Apple charged the general public for the same goods at the Apple Store, in effect on the date that you placed your order; and
* If you paid by a means other than credit card, to (a) invoice you for the difference between the amount that you paid for the delivered goods and the price that Apple charged the general public for the same goods at the Apple Store, payable in fifteen days from the date of the invoice, and (b), should you fail to pay the invoice when due, institute legal action against you in a court of competent jurisdiction, with the prevailing party entitled to attorneys' fees.
* Should Apple not offer to the general public the specific products that you purchased at the Apple Store for education, your credit card will be charged or you will be invoiced the difference between the amount you paid for the delivered goods and the price that Apple charged the general public for the closest equivalent goods at the Apple Store, in effect on the date that you placed your order.

from http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespoliciesEdIndividual.html

eochs
2005-08-20, 02:18
to be safe I can just give my g/f the cash and she can go in and buy it for me... Is it possible to do a transfer of ownership a month or so after the purchase so I can get it put back into my name?

spillerd
2005-08-21, 17:38
I wouldn't worry about it. I would even say that you probably still are a student. You're probably safer buying it with your ID instead of using your girlfriend's in case she wants to by a mac. There's no way Apple will check your UT status (which may be confidential), but if your girlfriend buys 2 computers with the educational discount, that will raise some flags in their computers, I'm guessing.

DMBand0026
2005-08-21, 23:00
It will indeed because the policy states that you are only allowed one computer purchase per year. You can usually purchase other accessories and whatnot, but computer purchases are limited to 1 per year.

LudwigVan
2005-08-21, 23:15
I am currently not in school (taking a year off, going back in January) ...

Is this an official temporary leave of absense through the school? If so, you may have a better chance at successfully being considered a (temporarily inactive) student than if you had just said to hell with it for a year.

eochs
2005-08-21, 23:24
no, this is a just for the helluva it year off... I was told by Apple that I would have had to buy in July to still be considered a student... She just but herself a PB about 15 months ago, so she is not worried about the one per year rule for herself...

What happens if I need support though?

The Return of the 'nut
2005-08-22, 00:39
apple doesn't check and doesnt care.

you can be 80 years old and order through the education website and it'd work

Kickaha
2005-08-22, 22:42
They do check, they do care.

I know someone locally who got charged the full retail amount retroactively when his academic check didn't pan out. He got his school to fax Apple proof of his enrollment, and they credited the difference.

They may not check all the time, but it's not totally unheard of.