PDA

View Full Version : Palm Zire 72 or Tungsten E2?

Ichiban_jay
2005-08-21, 21:17
Hey all, I've been thinking about buying a palm based pda for college so I don't have to lug around my laptop everytime I need to do the tiniest things like looking at a document or planning my schedule. So... which of the two, or if you like, any other relatively AFFORDABLE pda would be good for the average college student?

I like the battery life and newer OS (5.4 vs 5.2.8) of the tungsten e2, but the zire 72 has the camera. They both have bluetooth and that wifi card capability and cost exactly the same after rebate at staples (199).

I'd like to be able to do scheduling, view pictures, movie clips, and maybe some music if I get an SD card so I don't have to carry around the ipod too. While I'm in the subject what type of movie clips can the palm play? Standard mpg and avi?

Also, how is syncing with mac? I haven't touched a palm in about 5 years since the good old Visor days so I don't have ANY experience anymore.

Thanks! :D

nomorewindows
2005-08-21, 21:52
I have the Zire 72. It syncs quite well with my PB, the battery life is pretty good, and the screen clarity is excellent. The camera is a handy feature. At first, I didn't think it was something I'd use, but it has come in handy on many occasions. I'm not sure about the movie clips, as I don't use this feature.

I'm happy with my 72 and always carry it with me, basically for the same reasons you mention.

mudphud
2005-08-22, 00:19
I purchased an E2 mainly to carry medical reference texts and for scheduling. Its worked really well for me when it comes to viewing documents and using the calender function. I use it for viewing pdfs and word files. The screen is great for these functions.

I haven't had any major problems syncing my E2 with my PowerBook. The wireless bluetooth syncing has been good. The only problem I've had is I can't get the categories on iCal to sync and I haven't played around with this yet.

Haven't had a chance to load sound files or movies on it though. The default backgrounds on the E2 look good to me, so I'd imagine that photos would be ok. I still prefer to have all of my music with me on my iPod.

So overall, I think the E2 would meet your needs. I looked at the Zire when I was deciding also, but I didn't need the camera function and the Zire was a bit more bulky. I also prefered the metal finish of the E2.

Ichiban_jay
2005-08-22, 01:01
1 to 1. haha thanks for the comments, but still a tie. I want BOTH! :)

To get me by, I'm using a paper based planner right now till I make up my mind since school starts tomorrow.

Yup... That's planning ahead alright :lol:

SlackerDX
2005-08-22, 10:32
Does your phone have a camera on it? If so, then get the E2. It has great battery life and a very nice screen. I also think it looks a bit more professional. If you really want the camera though, the Zire is a great PDA as well. Personally, I use a Treo 650 =D

nomorewindows
2005-08-22, 21:17
I had the original Tungsten and I've found the Zire to be more stable. They have probably made changes, so this may mean nothing. As far as the camera issue--cell phone camera vs. Zire--the Zire wins hands down vs. my Razor phone.

Ichiban_jay
2005-08-24, 21:31
I decided to get the Tungsten E2. Pretty happy with it, at first it was taking 30+ minutes to sync to my computer using Bluetooth... Turns out I had to just restart the computer :LOL: Talk about a waste of 3 hours trying to figure out what was going on!

Got it at staples, list $199. Used a $15 dollar coupon, and now I have a $50 dollar mail in rebate. woot! $135 finishing price. Ok price huh?

nomorewindows
2005-08-25, 11:01
Sweet! Use the rebates for more iCrack.

Ichiban_jay
2005-08-26, 01:51
yeah seriously. I just bought myself an iDog. HAHAHA
iDog (http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/productview.jhtml?sku=HB403)

speakmusic
2005-09-15, 04:29
Dear Apple Computers,

Please invent a device that incorporates the Palm OS, iPod navigation, iPod storage (no gigantic allocation blocks,) and mobile phone that works with CDMA & GSM networks so I can forget about carrying 3 devices around with me.

I'd happily spend $700 for such a device if it meant that everything I want would be contained in one box.

-The idea of market saturation versus innovation pride is killing me.

SlackerDX
2005-09-15, 13:39
I have to tell you that the Treo is a pretty awesome convergence device. You don't get the huge storage of an iPod but I don't want to have to run or go to the gym with my cell phone. I mainly use it for podcasts on my way to school. I would give it a look if I were you.

Boomerangmacuser
2005-09-15, 18:02
Dear Apple Computers,

Please invent a device that incorporates the Palm OS, iPod navigation, iPod storage (no gigantic allocation blocks,) and mobile phone that works with CDMA & GSM networks so I can forget about carrying 3 devices around with me.

I'd happily spend $700 for such a device if it meant that everything I want would be contained in one box.

-The idea of market saturation versus innovation pride is killing me.

P.S. Not everyone wants to walk around with a "batman utility belt" full of electronic devices :lol:

Luca
2005-09-15, 18:05
P.S. Not everyone wants to walk around with a "batman utility belt" full of electronic devices :lol:
Oh come on, they're COOL!!!!

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000096QJ7.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

:lol:

pkatzman
2005-09-15, 18:52
Just a tip: for playing movie clips TCPMP (freeware) is absolutely the best. If you don't mind spending $30, you can use PocketDVD (pqdvd.com) to convert DVDs and video files real easily. It's definitely worth the money for the ease of use. I personally use a T3, but this should all work fine on a TE2. Make sure to get yourself a decently-sized SD card...maybe a gig or half. I got a free 512MB with mine (CompUSA clearing out stock) and just ordered a gig (40 bucks!) I suppose it depends on whether you'll be watching movies or tv episodes...I watch both. :D

atomicbartbeans
2005-09-18, 08:48
A somewhat related question...

can you browse the web with a Zire 72, using a Mac (as opposed to a cell phone) with bluetooth?

Cause then I'd definitely get one. :)

Ichiban_jay
2005-09-18, 18:14
I was trying to figure that out. I'm not sure how without the use of "the missing sync" the app is supposed to allow you to surf and check e-mail with your palm through a bluetooth connection with a laptop or through a cell phone.