PDA

View Full Version : Screw you Allmusic.com

dviant
2004-07-12, 18:20
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Goddamn I hate sites that cater to Windows only.

Just visited www.allmusic.com where I go all the time to read up on bands. They had apparently slipped up and searches are already displaying their "new and improved look and functionality". What a crock of shit.

Their new site is apparently "optimized for Internet Explorer 5.5 for Windows". Safari displays it but with alignment issues, things overlap, some buttons don't work etc. Way to go assholes. How fucking hard is it to make a standards-based web page these days? It's not. And yet these dilrods can't manage to do it. Yay for Windows. Jesus that pisses me off.

It's slow as hell and the organization is crap now. I think they restructured the info flow just to get more clicks because you now have to click an extra time to past the bio page to look at individual releases. Not to mention that the dumbass flash swirly menu bar sucks giant donkey dicks.

I sent them a not-so-surly message pointing out the number of OS X users is 10 million+ that many of them have iPods or want one, and how that user base relates to their sites purpose... music. Asked why they were limiting themselves by going against web standards and gave them the string Safari identifies itself with in case they weren't testing for the right thing (and having it show up as mozilla or exploder or something).

Hopefully they see the light and hop on the bandwagon that is the-rest-of-world-outside-of-windows. Trying not to be totally pessimistic yet but its difficult.

If anyone cares.. you can send them feedback from here:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=79:

Ok... rant over...

:grumble:

psmith2.0
2004-07-12, 18:43
Well I'm sure if your e-mail to them was half as charming and level-headed as your post, great things await.

:lol:

Relax. It's just a site...

Wrao
2004-07-12, 18:53
that's a total bummer, I use allmusic all the time.

hmurchison
2004-07-12, 19:09
Yeah it doesn't like Mozilla. This is pretty stupid nowadays. You have to go out of your way to support only one browser and actually have the gall to proclaim it like some badge of rank. IE is a security risk yet allmusic seems to gleefully ignore that. Somewhere the answer is there. A pontential investment or ownership by a Microsoft sympathizer. Who knows

dviant
2004-07-12, 19:10
hehe pscates... no worries my email was calm. I'm just venting here. Don't let my breath fog up the applenova windows. :P

hmurchison
2004-07-12, 19:29
hehe pscates... no worries my email was calm. I'm just venting here. Don't let my breath fog up the applenova windows. :P

Well I wasn't as calm. I just posted this to AI and Macrumors. Allmusic deserves a lot of hate mail on this on.

Allmusic (http://www.allmusic.com)

One of my favorite sites has just sold out in a big
way. I like the site redesign but someone tell me why
in 2004 we still have this partisan platform garbage.

Notice: You are accessing allmusic.com with a browser that is not currently supported. The appearance and functionality of the site could be impacted. allmusic.com is optimized for Internet Explorer 5.5 and above for Windows.

My response to this follows below. This cannot go unchecked people. We fought this nasty side effect of the Browser Wars before and we must continue to fight. Go to this link and by golly let these fools have it! Let them know that pandering to MS technology isn't going to be taken lightly. We will not let them co-opt the Internet for their own gain.

Here is their feedback link (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=79:)

Obviously you don't place a high value on your uses. Your site disrespect a potential 25 Million Mac users, 20+ Million Linux users and probably 30+ Million Windows users who prefer not to use the more insecure Internet Explore browser in lie of mozilla based browser. Yes the "value" you place on your users is very evident. Web design today is based on W3c standards yet you seem to have deftly eschewed these standard in creating your site. Why? Your actions are speaking far louder than your words. Please try harder to synchronize them in the future. Thanks.

Please post your response here below. It won't take you long at all but you will send a vital message to allmusic and others who wish to speak from both corners of their mouths.

xionja
2004-07-12, 19:37
it is a bummer. . .

all of a sudden i go to my favorite webpage and it looks all slick.

i liked the old boxy bright yellow straight foward webpage. . . but this one does have more information, ect. . .

i think i'll send them a little feedback

HOM
2004-07-12, 19:41
I have no clue what that site is all about, but I'm all up for guilting a web site into supporting Macs.

I wrote the following:

It really is a shame that I will no longer view your site. I have found it a wonderful resource in the past, but your recent decision to only support Internet Explorer 5.5 or later and then only on Windows means that I will cease pointing my browser here.

If and when you redesign it to support non Internet Explorer browsers I will happily come back, but until then, goodbye.

Ebby
2004-07-12, 20:14
Am I the only one here who can't access the site? I've been trying now&then for hours. :confused:

DMBand0026
2004-07-12, 20:20
Am I the only one here who can't access the site? I've been trying now&then for hours. :confused:

Nope, I cant get there either. And I was all ready to complain too :(

;)

Wonder why it's down all of a sudden...

Wrao
2004-07-12, 20:20
I have no clue what that site is all about, but I'm all up for guilting a web site into supporting Macs.

I wrote the following:

:)

The site is to music what www.imdb.com is to movies. Basically, a complete music compendium/encyclopedia type deal for getting information about ...all music ;)

It's a handy resource, but I take lots of what they say with a grain of salt, there are some inaccuracies on the site.

But it's still a great site to go and wander around at for a couple hours.(just like imdb)

_Ω_
2004-07-12, 20:21
Same here, though just tried....

Wrao
2004-07-12, 20:26
Any word on other browsers, omni? camino? netscape?!

Doesn't omni have ID spoofing? how's the site look with that on?

2004-07-12, 20:33
Camino (0.7) is a bit wonky visually, but not nearly as bad as y'all are describing. Searches and what not still function, but the feedback page is DOA.

Ryan
2004-07-12, 21:06
Any word on other browsers, omni? camino? netscape?!

Doesn't omni have ID spoofing? how's the site look with that on?

I think it still has spoofing, and Safari does too, if you enable the Debug menu.

Hobbes
2004-07-13, 20:18
Well, that was fast. I imagine a whole bunch of people were *not* happy.

Same lousy click-happy, ad-centric redesign... but the bright yellow obnoxious warning label about non-IE browsers has vanished, and some of the alignment issues on Safari and Firefox have been cleaned up.

It's a start. :D

InactionMan
2004-07-13, 21:09
This is on their feedback page:

SUPPORT OF NON-IE FOR WINDOWS BROWSERS
Optimizing a site of allmusic’s complexity and size for all browsers and operating systems is no small feat. This isn’t a simple “brochure-ware” site of static pages. While we would love to optimize the AMG sites for all browsers and all operating systems, we simply don’t have the necessary resources to do so. Despite some users flattering comparison of our site with that of Google, Amazon and Yahoo!, we are a small company with limited resources. So, we had to pick the most widely used browser by our users (over 87%) to optimize the site for and then work on compatibility issues with the other major browsers as we go forward.

We are concentrating on making the site more accessible through Opera, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari. We know how important it is to our users and we’re moving quickly.

Was this up earlier or is this in response to the negative feedback they got from their new and improved IE site?

Moogs
2004-07-13, 21:11
Any web designer that caters to IE over standards-based browsers for a public site (especially a portal-type site) is a bad designer. Period.

Hobbes
2004-07-13, 21:46
Agreed. And the redesign is still pretty much awful, in so many ways. It wasn't very pretty before, but it was much more usable.

onlyafterdark
2004-07-14, 14:05
Exactly, this new redesign is so slow. The older page was easy to navigate and very responsive. Now the whole thing is cluttered with all kinds of crap that just takes up space. Time to find a new favourite music database after a quick hatemail to allmusic.