PDA

View Full Version : Question about old hardware...

spazzy
2005-08-22, 19:46
So my school is selling off their old powerbook Ti's...
the specs are
G4 867 Mhz
Mac OSX10.2.3
512mb ram
with ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 32MB

I was wondering, do you think that is worth purchasing for 500 dollars?

I would be using it mostly for word processing, internet browsing, some light image editing with photoshop.

Also, would that video card be able to handle Core Image (that is, do you think it would be able to run tiger?)

Louie
2005-08-22, 20:03
will it be able to run tiger? Yes
is it worth 500$ probably not, i sold a ibook g3 to a friend for around the 200$ price range (including the repair costs that he had to pay for it)
i'm not sure about Core Image because, i haven't heard of that program.
I have run Photoshop 7.0 on a 800MHz G3 and for the most part it ran fine (not as fast and smooth as a G4 or G5, but it was good enough to where i could do all of the basics with out a major letdown)
I hope this helps

-Louie

spazzy
2005-08-22, 20:10
will it be able to run tiger? Yes
is it worth 500$ probably not, i sold a iBook g3 to a friend for around the 200$ price range (including the repair costs that he had to pay for it)
i'm not sure about Core Image because, i haven't heard of that program.
I have run Photoshop 7.0 on a 800MHz G3 and for the most part it ran fine (not as fast and smooth as a G4 or G5, but it was good enough to where i could do all of the basics with out a major letdown)
I hope this helps

-Louie

cool thanks.
the core image question is pretty superficial..cause i just wanted to know if i can see the pretty ripples..heh

naren
2005-08-22, 21:26
For $500.00 a 867hmz Ti defiantly is, they go for far more than that on ebay. Ummm, can I get one?

Franz Josef
2005-08-23, 03:35
Also, would that video card be able to handle Core Image (that is, do you think it would be able to run tiger?) Core Image needs a specific video card to run - see the list at the bottom RHS http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreimage/ - ie CI doesn't run simply just because Tiger will run.

ATi Mobility 9000 doesn't appear to be supported, I assume it's a relatively old video card. Having said that, there are not many effects in Tiger which require CI.

FJ